The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine (A100) Applicants 2014

Liverpool currently subscribes to the PBL approach (this is subject to change in the future pending review). Update: Please note that in October 2013, the decision was made to change the structure and content of the medical curriculum at Liverpool. The changes will take effect for students from the 2014 academic year onwards.

In essence, PBL will no longer be the mainstay of medical teaching at Liverpool; there will be an increased focus on anatomy, physiology and biochemistry within years 1 and 2. Positive elements of the PBL curriculum have been retained as suggested by students and staff; however, there will be more formalised teaching and support for students. My personal opinion of these changes are very positive and I would describe the new course as an integrated spiral curriculum.

Entry Requirements

Interview

Decisions

Admission Statistics

Course Overview

Accommodation

The University & Campus

The City

FAQs (answered by current medical students - about PBL/the old course are in post 2)

Join the Facebook Liverpool Medics 2014 Entry Group if you have an offer!
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

FAQs cont'd

Resources

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Reserving this post for further content/questions.

Also, a little bump for the thread.
May apply to Liverpool. Its not in my top 5, but if my UKCAT doesn't go to plan, Liverpool will definitely be one of my options
(edited 10 years ago)
May apply here, if I do get a high UKCAT score though, I'll most likely apply somewhere else. But Liverpool is great!! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by mynameisntbobk
May apply to Liverpool. Its not in my top 5, but if my UKCAT doesn't go to plan, Liverpool will definitely be one of my options

Original post by frogs r everywhere
May apply here, if I do get a high UKCAT score though, I'll most likely apply somewhere else. But Liverpool is great!! :smile:

I'd just advise you not to base your decision solely on your UKCAT scores. Of course it's important, but choose somewhere where you like the city and more importantly the course.

Remember also that Liverpool is undergoing a curriculum review and the course structure is likely to change. I'm hopeful they will be taking student feedback into account and if so, there is a lot of potential for the course at Liverpool to excel.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Liverpool now requires GAMSAT for graduate applicants. I wonder what the cut - off for interview will be... Exeter's is around 64. Hopefully Liverpool's won't be much higher!!
Reply 7
Original post by Arrhythmia
Liverpool now requires GAMSAT for graduate applicants. I wonder what the cut - off for interview will be... Exeter's is around 64. Hopefully Liverpool's won't be much higher!!

Ahh thanks for posting this. I'll update the OP :smile:
Original post by Kyalimers
Ahh thanks for posting this. I'll update the OP :smile:

It may not seem like it now, but between November and March, this thread will be filled with anxious medical applicants on the bridge of turning crazy. :lol:
Reply 9
Original post by frogs r everywhere
It may not seem like it now, but between November and March, this thread will be filled with anxious medical applicants on the bridge of turning crazy. :lol:

I know, that's why I've made this thread early and unlike previous years, tried to give a structure to the OP so hopefully questions don't get repeated.
Reply 10
Hey!!:wink:
are any of you reapplicants? Planning on reapplying to Liverpool??
Guys I have a question.

I know Liverpool rank your top 9 GCSEs, but I only have 8, which would rack up 15 points. I do also have 2 half GCSEs at grade As, and I know Liverpool do use 2 short courses in place of 1 full course, so would that mean they'd look at my 8 full GCSEs and my 2 half GCSEs? That would give me 17 points which is substantially better than the 15
Reply 12
Guys I have a question.

I know Liverpool rank your top 9 GCSEs, but I only have 8, which would rack up 15 points. I do also have 2 half GCSEs at grade As, and I know Liverpool do use 2 short courses in place of 1 full course, so would that mean they'd look at my 8 full GCSEs and my 2 half GCSEs? That would give me 17 points which is substantially better than the 15

It would be 16, not 17.

If you click on the first admissions requirements document on this link:

Short course GCSEs will at most receive half the points of a full GCSE but two short courses can be offered in place of a full GCSE.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Maxxie
It would be 16, not 17.

If you click on the first admissions requirements document on this link:

See I didn't really get that. Does that mean they will consider both my short course GCSEs instead of a 9th full course GCSE, or will they only look at one?
Reply 14
See I didn't really get that. Does that mean they will consider both my short course GCSEs instead of a 9th full course GCSE, or will they only look at one?

Oh sorry, it would be 17 because each one would receive half the standard amount of points for a full course GCSE. So both together make up for one full course A grade GCSE giving you two extra points (they'll consider both your short course GCSEs instead of a ninth full course GCSE).

Sorry for the confusion :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Maxxie
Oh sorry, it would be 17 because each one would receive half the standard amount of points for a full course GCSE. So both together make up for one full course A grade GCSE giving you two extra points (they'll consider both your short course GCSEs instead of a ninth full course GCSE).

Sorry for the confusion :redface:

No problem :smile: at least it makes sense now :smile: 17's not too bad a score, so its definitely worth considering Liverpool.
Reply 16
Anyone yet to read the Preliminary Curriculum Review Report may find it an interesting read. From the perspective of a student, I still think that there is some room for improvement but this is definitely a step in the right direction; especially for the first year course.
Reply 17
Hey, just thought I'd point out that the SSM 1 in first year was 4 weeks long not 6. I just finished 1st year at Liverpool unless its been changed for the coming year :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by Kaylain
Hey, just thought I'd point out that the SSM 1 in first year was 4 weeks long not 6. I just finished 1st year at Liverpool unless its been changed for the coming year :biggrin:

Thanks, I think it was a typo. Never has been 6 weeks long but it used to be the case that we had to do 6 SSMs. No longer the case! And do let me know of any other errors/additions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
For GCSE I got 6A* 1A 1B and a short course B as well, would I stand a chance at applying to Liverpool? Btw I think my gcses add up to a score of 15.5

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending