The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine (A100) Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by myyrh
Yeah but only when your GP placement block comes around (It's 6 weeks)

I see, then the remaining year is just the hospital, right?
Are you a student at Liverpool?

Thanks!
Reply 461
Original post by Delta, Δ
I see, then the remaining year is just the hospital, right?
Are you a student at Liverpool?

Thanks!

Yep, yeah a second year.
Original post by myyrh
Yep, yeah a second year.

What do you carrry out your SSC?
Thanks again!!! :biggrin:
Reply 463
What do you carrry out your SSC?
Thanks again!!! :biggrin:

When, you mean? We do 4 SSMs throughout the course, 1 in first year, 2 in second and then 1 in 3rd. However I think they're discontinuing SSMs for the next cohort of students who'll start next year.
Original post by myyrh
When, you mean? We do 4 SSMs throughout the course, 1 in first year, 2 in second and then 1 in 3rd. However I think they're discontinuing SSMs for the next cohort of students who'll start next year.

Really?? Why would they discontinue SSMs? I thought they were supposed to be beneficial
Reply 465
Original post by Rumschpringe
Really?? Why would they discontinue SSMs? I thought they were supposed to be beneficial

I'm not entirely sure, I personally hate them though :P
Original post by myyrh

What is the HARC like?
Thanks again! :biggrin:
Reply 467
What is the HARC like?
Thanks again! :biggrin:

An excellent resource for learning anatomy. The fact that they're prosections mean you don't need to struggle dissecting to get a good idea of what stuff looks like. If you get an interview you'll visit the HARC and will get a more detailed explanation :smile:
Original post by myyrh

An excellent resource for learning anatomy. The fact that they're prosections mean you don't need to struggle dissecting to get a good idea of what stuff looks like. If you get an interview you'll visit the HARC and will get a more detailed explanation :smile:

What is inside it?
Is there lots of preserved organs and books to read of the sort?
Thanks again!:biggrin:
Reply 469
What is inside it?
Is there lots of preserved organs and books to read of the sort?
Thanks again!:biggrin:

Resources, including models as well as cadeveric material. Yeah there are plenty of prosections which are taken out when required. There are also booklets to help with going over the prosections and they're looking to bring in more imaging teaching too.
Reply 470
SSC- Student Selected Components (right?) is something that I am looking forward to doing! Are you talking about something else that is being discontinued or the SSCs? It would be a shame if they took out SSCs...

Also, Is HARC something unique for Liverpool? I haven't really read about HARC for other universities (then again, I've only looked at the courses of uni's I've applied to) For all those Liverpool medics, how did you prepare for your interviews? More going over the personal statement or reading up on medical ethics etc..?Good luck to anyone who has interviews really soon!
Reply 471
Original post by Shaimaa95
SSC- Student Selected Components (right?) is something that I am looking forward to doing! Are you talking about something else that is being discontinued or the SSCs? It would be a shame if they took out SSCs...

Also, Is HARC something unique for Liverpool? I haven't really read about HARC for other universities (then again, I've only looked at the courses of uni's I've applied to) For all those Liverpool medics, how did you prepare for your interviews? More going over the personal statement or reading up on medical ethics etc..?Good luck to anyone who has interviews really soon!

Yeah we call the SSCs "SSMs" which stand for "special study module". From what I've heard is they either definitely are, or are considering getting rid of them. They will probably be replaced with something else which will allow students to critically appraise stuff like papers etc. HARC is the anatomy resource centre. Other medical schools will have a anatomy centres but what they contain will vary. Some will teach anatomy via dissection, others solely by models and some with prosections and models (like Lpool)
Reply 472
Oh okay....Thank you for clearing that up! :smile:
Reply 473
Hello,
what do you mean by they could ask you questions on it? in what sense?

Hi, they could ask you what you know about the new curriculum (how has it changed from the previous PBL-based one?) so they know you have an idea what the course will involve, and what is good about the changes they have made (why PBL was unsustainable perhaps?)

I hope this helps
Original post by Angelica.
do John moores and edge hill do med?:s-smilie:

Nope they dont, I applied for similar course that will eventually help me to get to medicine. just in case if i dont get in... (back up plan)
I cannot apply to other med schools across the country because i have a little boy so i cant move thats why i had to think of a back up plan as the only med school near me is Liverpool. :smile:
INTERVIEW!!!! At 9.30 on December the 13th soooo happy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 476
Original post by sandrabondaruk
INTERVIEW!!!! At 9.30 on December the 13th soooo happy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratz! What are your stats and what time did you get the email? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aye7777
Congratz! What are your stats and what time did you get the email? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

4 A*s and 7 As at GCSE, and ABBCC at AS with extenuating circumstances
I received it literally 20 minutes ago!
Reply 478
Original post by sandrabondaruk
4 A*s and 7 As at GCSE, and ABBCC at AS with extenuating circumstances
I received it literally 20 minutes ago!

Ah luck yu. Still haven't heard anything got same gcses
Alevels of AABb resit app with extenuating circumstances

Reeally hope I get an interview from Liverpool

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myyrh

I had my interview and the tour guide was this asian guy, he thought he was funny but was not whatsoever, I think he is a second year as well, do you know him? he wasn't that good at explaining so hopefully he won't get him :wink:...... Oh yeah he was also saying 'awks', he was so weird lol
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending