The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine (A100) Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ja1
Did anyone get an interview without getting 18/18 for GCSE? Is it really not worth my time applying for Liverpool with my GCSE score of 17/18?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had 17/18 and got an interview unfortunately didn't get an offer so gap year :frown:
Original post by ja1
Did anyone get an interview without getting 18/18 for GCSE? Is it really not worth my time applying for Liverpool with my GCSE score of 17/18?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I got an interview and subsequently an offer with a GCSE score of 17/18. It's still a fantastic academic record and as long as you have done adequate work experience and voluntary work etc and you are a 'well rounded person' (with all this put into your personal statement) you have every chance of getting an interview. I am now looking forward to starting medicine at Liverpool in the next few weeks.

All the best.
Hi guys,

I need some advice. My stats:

GCSEs: 6A*S 4As
AS level: 4 As
A2 Predictions: Either A*A*A or A*A*A*

If I want to apply to Liverpool, should I be focusing on my personal statement? If so, does anyone know what they like to see?
Original post by MedKid123
Hi guys,

I need some advice. My stats:

GCSEs: 6A*S 4As
AS level: 4 As
A2 Predictions: Either A*A*A or A*A*A*

If I want to apply to Liverpool, should I be focusing on my personal statement? If so, does anyone know what they like to see?

Hi,
Firstly, congratulations on an excellent set of results so far. Just ensure you stay focused on your studies as you have done previously so that you get the AAA/AAA* needed for your offer if you were to get one.

I would say that any voluntary work is important (preferably in a health-based setting) along with work experience in healthcare/ a hospital. Ensure that you reflect on what you have learnt from it along with all of your other activities and how this relates to your ambition to become a doctor. DO NOT simply list what you have done!

All the best.
Reply 1764
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1765
Anyone knows that Liverpool will accept module resit within the 2 years A level study?
I mean to resit one module from grade B to A.
Thanks in advance.
Original post by lucky111
Anyone knows that Liverpool will accept module resit within the 2 years A level study?
I mean to resit one module from grade B to A.
Thanks in advance.

Every medical school accepts resist of modules within two years as far as I'm aware so go for it :smile:
Original post by Kyalimers
Absolute BS. Historically, statistics suggest 16+ (but mainly 17+ for comfortability) will get you an interview if other factors are right i.e. PS.

Really love Liverpool and the medical school looks really good however my score is only 15/18 however I have my A Level grades and they are A*A*AA. Do you think that I could potentially get an interview or is it not worth risking it?
Original post by Doodle00
Really love Liverpool and the medical school looks really good however my score is only 15/18 however I have my A Level grades and they are A*A*AA. Do you think that I could potentially get an interview or is it not worth risking it?

Go for it
Hey guys,
Got 6A*s and 4As at GCSE. Missed my offers cos i achieved A*AB in Chem, Bio, Maths..
Gonna be predicted A*A*A as a re-sitter.
My overall chances?
Also, I didn't have extenuating circ. so will that go against me when i just speak about complacency when i reflect about it in my PS.
Thanks
Original post by qwerty_96
Hey guys,
Got 6A*s and 4As at GCSE. Missed my offers cos i achieved A*AB in Chem, Bio, Maths..
Gonna be predicted A*A*A as a re-sitter.
My overall chances?
Also, I didn't have extenuating circ. so will that go against me when i just speak about complacency when i reflect about it in my PS.
Thanks

Great GCSEs and predicted A-Levels so I think there is no harm at all in giving it a go! :smile:
Original post by Doodle00

It's borderline. If you really like the city, I'd say it is worth a shot for sure. Make sure your PS is good to get your pre-interview score up.
Hey guys, I am a resit applicant with AABa and A* EPQ. I have extenuating circumstances but don't think they're very strong and 6 A*'s and 8 A's at GCSE. Does anyone think it's worth applying?
Original post by nik345
Hey guys, I am a resit applicant with AABa and A* EPQ. I have extenuating circumstances but don't think they're very strong and 6 A*'s and 8 A's at GCSE. Does anyone think it's worth applying?

E-mail them and get written confirmation that they would consider your application.
Original post by Kyalimers
E-mail them and get written confirmation that they would consider your application.

But do they not consider resit applicants who don't have extenuating circumstances?
Original post by nik345
But do they not consider resit applicants who don't have extenuating circumstances?

i emailed them and they will accept resit applicants without extenuating circumstances, you have to reflect on it in your personal statement though but that bit has stumped me, i don't know what to write apart from the fact that i was complacent
Applying here!
I thinking of applying to liverpool. I have 6A* and 3 A* B and C at gcse and AAAB in AS (dropped the b in georgraphy) and AAA at A level. is liverpool a risky choice for me
Original post by purplepetal
Is Liverpool a risky choice for me?

No, with those grades you would get 18/18 and if your personal statement was good you'd get an interview :smile:.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply