Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am currently taking a two year course in Edexcel History and at the end of my AS year, I received an overall B grade with my British History being an 'a' and 4 marks off maximum and my Russian history just coming to a 'd' which made me scrape a B overall. I resat the exam in the January and then came out with an E. Furious with the outcome, I called my paper back and now see where I went wrong. I just can't tend to grasp the way of wording the essays and really desire at least a C in Russia to get an A overall.

Can anyone help? Anyone having the same problems? I think its the sheer amount of content which is dragging me down a little, it is so much to study.

ReputationRep:
    Thank God it's not just me! I haven't sat an exam yet but I looked at the sheer amount of stuff that there is to remember and panicked haha. I spoke to my tutor and he gave me some good advice which was to remember a few key dates and think of well structured arguments. I got a revision guide and I have used that to link actions with causes and outcomes and I'm just crossing my finger that my summer exams go well. I'm studying through ICS and all I can do is read the material given but sometimes that makes the timeline a little unclear so linking the way I have done has really helped for me personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachaelBee)
    Thank God it's not just me! I haven't sat an exam yet but I looked at the sheer amount of stuff that there is to remember and panicked haha. I spoke to my tutor and he gave me some good advice which was to remember a few key dates and think of well structured arguments. I got a revision guide and I have used that to link actions with causes and outcomes and I'm just crossing my finger that my summer exams go well. I'm studying through ICS and all I can do is read the material given but sometimes that makes the timeline a little unclear so linking the way I have done has really helped for me personally.
    As long as you're putting in the revision, you should be fine. I do think the sheer amount of content with the unit though is unbelievable and a bit too much to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guardian)
    Hi,

I am currently taking a two year course in Edexcel History and at the end of my AS year, I received an overall B grade with my British History being an 'a' and 4 marks off maximum and my Russian history just coming to a 'd' which made me scrape a B overall. I resat the exam in the January and then came out with an E. Furious with the outcome, I called my paper back and now see where I went wrong. I just can't tend to grasp the way of wording the essays and really desire at least a C in Russia to get an A overall.

Can anyone help? Anyone having the same problems? I think its the sheer amount of content which is dragging me down a little, it is so much to study.
    It is difficult at first - I got a C in Russia first time then got an A after resitting (56/60) - I assume you are learning from 2 separate textbooks - one centred around the rise of Lenin and then one on Stalin's Russia. Each book can be split up into about 7 topics and then it doesn't seem that bad. I revised for my January resit by mainly just using the Christmas holidays so around 2 weeks I did the main bulk of my revision of content then it was mainly just exam questions.
    I decided on the topics after noting down all the past paper questions and then I spotted like common themes and stuff so for example there were 3 or 4 questions asking "what caused the 1905 revolution" but each of them would specify a different factor "to what extent was (reformist groups/social economic reasons/Russo-Japanese war/bloody Sunday) the cause of the 1905 revolution?" and by generalising the questions I came to these 7 standard topics which covered the main questions that keep coming up and this is what I structured my revision around. So I would have a big sheet of A3 paper and wrote all about the 1905 revolution for example - what caused it/what happened/why it failed. Then I summed up my ideas in a conclusion type paragraph already deciding on my line of argument for each question meant in the exam it was a lot easier. Hopefully you found this useful and I'll be happy to clarify/give more information if you would like.
    Otherwise...good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hey although i dint do the russia topics I was in the same boat as you Im currently doing my A2 History but for AS i got an A for British history on Crimea,Boer and WW1 (86 UMS) and and E grade (45 UMS) on the middle east: isreal and the arab states and Spain and Franco. However sat it in january and beleive me I found the papaer harder then last time but I got a C (68 UMS). I think what i eralsied that id dint do before what always sstte a for then a negative which can be counters also i summarised all 6 topics into fashcard this time and sued a whole looad of nemonics which seemed to help a lot.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.