Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giveme45)
    I think its more accurately considered a really good uni (upper 2ndtier), but top tier would be reffering to LSE and Oxford. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well perhaps Oxford and Cambridge are in a tier of their own, but i think many IB firms see LSE, Warwick and UCL candidates as equal.

As in, they would interview them all and it would be each candidates own abilities/personality etc that would set them apart, rather than the university they come from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intstud29)
    Sorry, but I have to tell you this straight out. You are really ungrateful. Warwick is a top 6 uni for IB.

Second of all, there is no guarantee that you may recieve an offer from LSE, Oxford or Cambridge.

Furthermore, if you did badly at what's equal to GCSE's, then LSE is going to slaughter you because they are very picky at that.

Moreover, it's "scary" how a smart person like you have not taken time to actually research you career path you say you are interested in.

Look at this quote right here; Warwick is top 6.

banks also have an elite group of ‘target’ universities to which they’ll actively sell a career within investment banking. At undergraduate level in the UK (in no particular order) these are Oxford, Cambridge, London School of Economics (LSE), UCL, Imperial College London and Warwick.

The likes of Kings College London, Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester, Bath and Edinburgh are also well-regarded.

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/53...-into-banking/

Second of all, let me comment on your Master's plan which is excellent, however once again it is not based in reality.

What I mean by this is:

1) You mean that Warwick won't give you chance to attend LSE, Oxford and Cambridge at Master's level? You are so wrong. Warwick will definitely give you a massive chance to attend LSE, Oxford and Cambridge at Master's level.

2) Harvard, Stanford, MIT and Princeton does NOT have pre-experience Master's degrees so in order to apply for some kind of Master's degree at these unis, you will need considerable professional experience which basically qualify you already by that time for MBA programs in Europe which are as good as those in the U.S. Once again, for these kind of Master's degrees, they will look a lot more on the quality of your work experience and GMAT score.

So the only place you can take prestigious pre-experience Master's degree is mainly in the UK and rest of the Europe, such as in France, Spain, Switzerland, etc.

There is only one pre-experience Master's degree in the U.S. which you might be interested in, and that's MMS at Duke University.
    Thanks first of all for your reply!
    Well, I know I sound extremely ungrateful, but there really isn't not other way how to represent my thoughts. I am indeed very thankful to warwick, but as I stated earlier I wished
    to attend LSE or Oxford. I don't really know how to say that in a grateful manner.

And even though I cherish very much your effort you put into the reply, the assumption that I have not tooken time to research into my career path is a bit to far-fetched.
    In fact I KNOW that Warwick has been (2012) one of the top-targeted universities by top employers. But I beleive that the "no particular order" is nonsene. Obviously a top-employer will prefer
    an LSE graduate over a Warwick graduate, given that all other credentials of both applicants would be the same. You can now say that this does not represent a real-life situation, since applicants will all have different qualities, but yet it proves my point of LSE having an edge over Warwick (if not much - but this can make the difference) on Investment banking especially
    top employers.

About the master plan. I beleive that a first at Warwick will give me the chance to attend LSE, Oxbridge at master level. But as stated above I also believe that the chances could have been bigger if graduated from LSE for example. Please tell me why you think that Warwick would give me a "massive chance".
    In fact some of the top US universties do offer Master programmes without the need to have considerable professional experience (master of finance). Though, I will probably work before doing my Master's anyway.

Overall I am more inclined to studying at Warwick, than waiting for a year to reapply, given that the latter presents a high risk factor. Though, I am eager of hearing your viewpoints, and thank you very much for them, especially because most of you are reassuring me in that I am making the right choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giveme45)
    Thanks first of all for your reply!
    Well, I know I sound extremely ungrateful, but there really isn't not other way how to represent my thoughts. I am indeed very thankful to warwick, but as I stated earlier I wished
    to attend LSE or Oxford. I don't really know how to say that in a grateful manner.

And even though I cherish very much your effort you put into the reply, the assumption that I have not tooken time to research into my career path is a bit to far-fetched.
    In fact I KNOW that Warwick has been (2012) one of the top-targeted universities by top employers. But I beleive that the "no particular order" is nonsene. Obviously a top-employer will prefer
    an LSE graduate over a Warwick graduate, given that all other credentials of both applicants would be the same. You can now say that this does not represent a real-life situation, since applicants will all have different qualities, but yet it proves my point of LSE having an edge over Warwick (if not much - but this can make the difference) on Investment banking especially
    top employers.

About the master plan. I beleive that a first at Warwick will give me the chance to attend LSE, Oxbridge at master level. But as stated above I also believe that the chances could have been bigger if graduated from LSE for example. Please tell me why you think that Warwick would give me a "massive chance".
    In fact some of the top US universties do offer Master programmes without the need to have considerable professional experience (master of finance). Though, I will probably work before doing my Master's anyway.

Overall I am more inclined to studying at Warwick, than waiting for a year to reapply, given that the latter presents a high risk factor. Though, I am eager of hearing your viewpoints, and thank you very much for them, especially because most of you are reassuring me in that I am making the right choice!
    Hi again,

I know I might seem harsh, but as I said, you are smart person, I just felt you didn't knew what you actually have afront of you, which is a top-class uni.

I am just trying to help and to actually show you with facts when I say that someone is not "right". This is my way of showing "tough love", because after all, I wish to help, to give you links and the facts and advice.

Which I will do once again to prove myself again for second time.

LBS is a world-class school so I'll show you where their intake class has undergraduate degrees from.

I think I have counted right which brings me to this number:

10 candidates taking a Master's degree here are from Warwick, whilst 7 are from LSE.

I think there were 3 or 4 from Cambridge and 2 from Oxford. There are also candidates from Imperial, UCL and KCL.

However, there are also many candidates with undergraduate degrees from universities which are BELOW Warwick's standing.

But my point is, that doesn't mean they are "worse" candidates, and it doesn't mean that they will be "blocked" from applying to presitigous universities, just because their undergraduate degree has less-known reputation.

My second point is, LBS must love Warwick, lol . 10 are from Warwick.

http://www.london.edu/assets/documen...013_UPDATE.pdf

So since you are going to apply for a Master's after your undergraduate degree, which is a smart move (I plan on doing the same thing), then you should not worry if an employer prefers slightly an Oxbridge applicant over a Warwick applicant at undergraduate level, because you my friend, will NOT only have undergraduate degree but ALSO a Master's degree which gives you an edge.

Either way, when you get the interview, you must prove yourself in banks' assesment centers. So no LSE or Oxbridge candidate is going to have any "edge" over you in these tests, what so ever.

Not to mention the fact that if you want to work somewhere else in mainland Europe, and not only in the UK, a Master's degree is a "MUST have" degree. It does give you possibilities which an undergrad is lacking.

So my point is, once again, Warwick is an excellent uni and you won't have any problems applying for top pre-experience Master's degrees after your undergrad degree.

Please, do tell where are those Master's degrees in the U.S. (Finance) which does not require work experience? I can't seem to find them. There is only MMS at Duke. Everything else requires more or less a considerable amount of work experience, or average intake of their prospective candidates do have several years of professional experience.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.