Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    currently I hold an offer for Warwick for straight Economics.

Warwick is my firm since I have been rejected by both Oxford and LSE due to bad MSA results (the german equivalent of GCSEs, i did not take them seriously back then).

I currently do the International Baccalaureate and I am confident of achieving a score of 44 or even 45 including a 7 in HL Mathematics and HL economics.

I know that Warwick is a great school and has nice reputation but I always wanted to attend a "top" university and I do not feel particularly well with being in a upper second tier one.

I believe that the course in Warwick is probably of equal standard as in Oxbridge and LSE, but I want to get into investment banking, and reputation is very important in this section.
    I also want to do a Master in a top Uni (LSE, Oxford, Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Princeton), and I do not know if Warwick gives me the best opportunities to pursue this dream (even with a First?).

Should I take a year off, then reapply?

Please tell me your opinions and advice!

ReputationRep:
    On your future plans - are you aware that in many fields, many US unis don't offer standalone masters? (In other words if you want to do postgrad you register for a PhD. Some might give you an MA or MS along the way.) If you're looking at a masters in economics, as far as I know none of the US unis you mentioned offer a standalone one, although a couple of them do offer (exceptionally competitive) masters in finance. I'm not sure if this factor would affect your thinking.

For the UK unis, a first from Warwick will make you competitive enough for a masters application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sj27)
    On your future plans - are you aware that in many fields, many US unis don't offer standalone masters? (In other words if you want to do postgrad you register for a PhD. Some might give you an MA or MS along the way.) If you're looking at a masters in economics, as far as I know none of the US unis you mentioned offer a standalone one, although a couple of them do offer (exceptionally competitive) masters in finance. I'm not sure if this factor would affect your thinking.

For the UK unis, a first from Warwick will make you competitive enough for a masters application.
    Thanks for your reply. I was not thinking about a masters in economics, but indeed considering a masters in finance or a MBA after a year or two of working in a bank in london for example.
    What advice could you give me in that sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giveme45)
    Thanks for your reply. I was not thinking about a masters in economics, but indeed considering a masters in finance or a MBA after a year or two of working in a bank in london for example.
    What advice could you give me in that sense?
    Finance masters are generally very competitive at the top unis. MIT and Princeton have two of the most competitive finance masters in the world (afaik neither Harvard or stanford offer these?)but the admit stats for eg LSE and cambridge are tough too. Basically a first is only the start for these programs and I'm not sure taking a year out to attempt to get into LSE is worth the possible small extra recognition you may get applying to US unis (it won't make a difference to the UK ones). An MBA, which is a pretty different kettle of fish, will depend more on how much responsibility you've managed to get at work for admittance to the good programs. MBAs are less academically orientated both in admission (which you can see by comparing stats for MBA vs eg MFin entrants on the uni websites) and practice, so again I'm not sure about the extra benefit you'd gain at the end of the day from taking a gap year now.

Tl;dr: just do as well as you can in your undergrad, with your plans it doesn't seem worth it to me to take a gap year and reapply for LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sj27)
    Finance masters are generally very competitive at the top unis. MIT and Princeton have two of the most competitive finance masters in the world (afaik neither Harvard or stanford offer these?)but the admit stats for eg LSE and cambridge are tough too. Basically a first is only the start for these programs and I'm not sure taking a year out to attempt to get into LSE is worth the possible small extra recognition you may get applying to US unis (it won't make a difference to the UK ones). An MBA, which is a pretty different kettle of fish, will depend more on how much responsibility you've managed to get at work for admittance to the good programs. MBAs are less academically orientated both in admission (which you can see by comparing stats for MBA vs eg MFin entrants on the uni websites) and practice, so again I'm not sure about the extra benefit you'd gain at the end of the day from taking a gap year now.

Tl;dr: just do as well as you can in your undergrad, with your plans it doesn't seem worth it to me to take a gap year and reapply for LSE.
    Alright thanks for your answer! But if the standard is a first, then wouldn't they start looking at which University you graduated from? Wouldn't the fact that everyone has a first put more emphasis on which uni you attended? And why do you think that it doesn't make a difference for UK ones? Sorry for the many questions :P

ReputationRep:
    So this is an offer for undergrad? You can surely get into a top uni master after Warwick, if your application is good enough. Maybe it's not as easy as with Oxbridge or LSE, but I think it's definitely very possible. Just put a lot of effort once you're there, good grades, look for internships and experience and prepare for admissions in advance.

ReputationRep:
    You can definitely get into a top grad programme in economics with a first from Warwick, which has a very well respected economics department.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.