Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Was wondering if anyone knows how often do stores like Sainsburys, Waitrose, Asda, Boots, H&M, or any place similar open vacancies for part time in-store roles?
    Have looked up nearly all their websites for vacancies and there hasn't been anything for a while now. Was expecting supermarkets like Sainburys etc. to have a fairly large proportion of vacancies opening from time to time? Maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how frequently but I'd say that there are, almost certainly, trends for when High Street shops offer part-time vacancies. The annual and education calendars are good to follow, for example:

Nov/Dec - high street shops will be looking for part-time Christmas temps because of opening hours; March - you've got Easter holidays so shops might have staff go on holiday, thus might need cover; May-August - summer holidays/extended opening hours; September - particular in cities might shops be looking for part-time workers, due to an influx of university/college students, etc.

I'd recommend cold calling stores, go in and just ask them if they a) have any part-time work available or b) if they expect anything soon... There's always the possibility of people going on holiday/leave, so you might just time it ok.

Also, keep a regular look on some niche job boards. If it's part-time work you're after then retail (high street stores, restaurants) if your best bet.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Have you checked Primark? At least in my area they do have part-time vacancies or at least had.

ReputationRep:
    I know for definite that sainsburys and McDonald's will only do their applications and job searches online. You've just got to be lucky in when you're looking most of the time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have a list of retail sites that I check every morning , Sainsburys never seem to have vacancies at my local stores

ReputationRep:
    I'm not 100% but from my experience some supermarkets can be quite awkward to get into- my local Tesco is almost impossible to get a job in unless you know someone who already works there. So it isn't always a matter of all the jobs being advertised as they should.

From my experience most places are now predominantly online so it's just generally a matter of checking each site regularly and applying to anything you see- frustrating as a lot of places won't get back to you but that's life. What I did was write out a list of possible places I wanted to work and advertised their jobs online (so this would be all the fast food places, supermarkets, clothes stores) any I could think of and checked them regularly. You can also sign up to some and they'll send you alerts when any jobs come up that match you criteria: pets at home, etc.

Other than that keep your eye out when your out- some have advertisements on the actual shop- I got my current job after seeing a banner hanging on the store and applying online. Possibly use Gumtree/ Directgov/ other online job ads but take caution as some of these are dodgy. Check sites about your local area- my college and local newspaper sometimes advertise jobs.

heyterryhenry posted a pretty good timeline of when it might be good to apply. Christmas is the golden time though- October/ November time shops employ a lot of temporary staff so at this point it's really worth applying to everywhere you can and take some CVs into different stores.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ms20g12)
    Was wondering if anyone knows how often do stores like Sainsburys, Waitrose, Asda, Boots, H&M, or any place similar open vacancies for part time in-store roles?
    Have looked up nearly all their websites for vacancies and there hasn't been anything for a while now. Was expecting supermarkets like Sainburys etc. to have a fairly large proportion of vacancies opening from time to time? Maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance.
    Try mcdonalds.
    They take on staff quite regularly. They take on a lot of students as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Try mcdonalds.
    They take on staff quite regularly. They take on a lot of students as well.
    Vodafone and Orange or any of the mobile phone stores, such as the CPW, Phones4u, love students, they pay relatively well with commission and incentives. I had an 8 hour contract at Vodafone.

Santander.... do flexible contracts....1 hour paid a month minimum....for cashiers, "oncall contracts".

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.