Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    currently I hold an offer for Warwick for straight Economics.

Warwick is my firm since I have been rejected by both Oxford and LSE due to bad MSA results (the german equivalent of GCSEs, i did not take them seriously back then).

I currently do the International Baccalaureate and I am confident of achieving a score of 44 or even 45 including a 7 in HL Mathematics and HL economics.

I know that Warwick is a great school and has nice reputation but I always wanted to attend a "top" university and I do not feel particularly well with being in a upper second tier one.

I believe that the course in Warwick is probably of equal standard as in Oxbridge and LSE, but I want to get into investment banking, and reputation is very important in this section.
    I also want to do a Master in a top Uni (LSE, Oxford, Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Princeton), and I do not know if Warwick gives me the best opportunities to pursue this dream (even with a First?).

Should I take a year off, then reapply?

Please tell me your opinions and advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giveme45)
    Hi guys,
    currently I hold an offer for Warwick for straight Economics.

Warwick is my firm since I have been rejected by both Oxford and LSE due to bad MSA results (the german equivalent of GCSEs, i did not take them seriously back then).

I currently do the International Baccalaureate and I am confident of achieving a score of 44 or even 45 including a 7 in HL Mathematics and HL economics.

I know that Warwick is a great school and has nice reputation but I always wanted to attend a "top" university and I do not feel particularly well with being in a upper second tier one.

I believe that the course in Warwick is probably of equal standard as in Oxbridge and LSE, but I want to get into investment banking, and reputation is very important in this section.
    I also want to do a Master in a top Uni (LSE, Oxford, Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Princeton), and I do not know if Warwick gives me the best opportunities to pursue this dream (even with a First?).

Should I take a year off, then reapply?

Please tell me your opinions and advice!
    It's a difficult choice. Warwick is very reputable both as a university, and among employers. It is a very targeted university, especially for IB/finance. If you want to end up in this area, Warwick will be more than good enough to get you there. LSE may be a bit better, but it's not going to open up many (if any) more doors than Warwick.

A good degree from Warwick will get you into any postgrad course you want. The same from LSE. The only thing I can think of is international prestige, where LSE beats Warwick. LSE has a city life, Warwick has a campus life. I have offers from both LSE and Warwick, and am waiting to decide until after I see them both.

ReputationRep:
    Also you should note that LSE is meant to have a pretty poor social life.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, you've got to know that Economics is one of the most competitive courses in the UK. If the name of the institution matters to you, maybe it's best applying for a slightly less competitive course, e.g maths.

If you're set on Economics, you've got to get feedback and make sure you can improve on the previous year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KD35)
    First of all, you've got to know that Economics is one of the most competitive courses in the UK. If the name of the institution matters to you, maybe it's best applying for a slightly less competitive course, e.g maths.

If you're set on Economics, you've got to get feedback and make sure you can improve on the previous year.
    How is maths any less competitive?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for the feedback guys!

I guess I will think about whether 1 year of fwould be worth the risk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    How is maths any less competitive?
    It is in terms of applicants per place or offers/applicants

ReputationRep:
    OP,

that's what i did, actually. i got a 44 in IB too.
    I did a year of university in my country and then reapplied and got into LSE Econ. I included my results for my first semester though i'm not sure if it made a difference.

ps. are you sure it's your MSA results? i emailed them for feedback the year before and they more or less told me that my personal statement was dreadful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YBR)
    OP,

I did a year of university in my country and then reapplied and got into LSE Econ. I included my results for my first semester though i'm not sure if it made a difference.

ps. are you sure it's your MSA results? i emailed them for feedback the year before and they more or less told me that my personal statement was dreadful.

I think so, they were really bad. i thought of doing the same but my father said it would be an insanely stupid idea to reapply after 1 year of already sitting the course. Because its brainless to sit 1 year of the same **** again just toget into LSE. Or is there a possibility to enter at 2nd year undergrad?

ReputationRep:
    Well it might and might not be, depending on what course you take. If you do take econ at another university then you probably would cover the same stuff. I didn't because I took business instead in that one year.

I haven't heard of anyone entering as a 2nd year undergrad. But I think there are quite a few who reapplied and got in.

If you haven't actually emailed them for feedback, I suggest that you do, since it would tell you more about your chances if you reapply. If you have, my apologies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YBR)
    OP,

what is MSA? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YBR)
    Well it might and might not be, depending on what course you take. If you do take econ at another university then you probably would cover the same stuff. I didn't because I took business instead in that one year.

I haven't heard of anyone entering as a 2nd year undergrad. But I think there are quite a few who reapplied and got in.

If you haven't actually emailed them for feedback, I suggest that you do, since it would tell you more about your chances if you reapply. If you have, my apologies.
    Hm okay i will do so then.

Well Idk if it'S really worth it to waste a year just to jump from Warwick to LSE tbh...

ReputationRep:
    Wasting a year to go from Warwick to LSE is pointless. If it was London Met, I'd say you should reapply. But Warwick? Your grade, interview, subject, etc. will matter far more than whether you went to Warwick or LSE. At that stage, it is quite irrelevant. In 5 years time, no one will care whether you went to Warwick or LSE. Warwick Economics is nearly as good as LSE Economics, and especially at undergraduate level, there will virtually be no difference.

ReputationRep:
    Also:
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...gs?s=Economics

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

late reply but I'll say I agree with crunchychips on the university rankings being rather pointless. imho, outside the oxbridge duo, school name matters considerably less. i got offered Warwick and UCL too but I specifically wanted LSE so I waited. plus I didn't like it in business school.

no doubt there will be people who disagree about the oxbridge part but... they do have the alumni and good funding. my oxbridge friends are alot better treated than most university students i would think.

would you prefer life in warwick or london? because three years is a significant time you're going to spend in either one of them.

it's a great school, and if you can get a scholarship/funding from them, even better. you can run out of organs to sell when living in london.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.