Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Which will put me in a better position? The course is for Chemical Engineering. It appears Nottingham is slightly more targeted but then Manchester's Chemical Engineering course is more reputable.

Someone has already said that the difference wouldn't be great. Would it be true to say, then, that between the two my chances aren't likely to be too different and my CV will matter more?

Will it be easier to get a placement at Nottingham?

Thanks!

Or do I have little chance with either lol...

ReputationRep:
    If this is with the intent on pursuing a career in INVESTMENT BANKING go for Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAINE.)
    If this is with the intent on pursuing a career in INVESTMENT BANKING go for Nottingham.
    Would you say the difference in the two unis if I want to get into IB is significant?

ReputationRep:
    Would my prospects be low at both unis? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris-69)
    Would my prospects be low at both unis? Thanks.
    Low compared to Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial/LSE/UCL/Warwick, which are the most commonly targeted for front office IB roles.

Nottingham is more targeted for IB than Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaraWarah)
    Low compared to Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial/LSE/UCL/Warwick, which are the most commonly targeted for front office IB roles.

Nottingham is more targeted for IB than Manchester.
    Thank you! I could have applied to UCL who wanted the same grades as Manchester and Nottingham but was determined to move away from London and maximise my 'uni experience'. Perhaps not the best way to improve my FO IB prospects...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I could have applied to UCL who wanted the same grades as Manchester and Nottingham but was determined to move away from London and maximise my 'uni experience'. Perhaps not the best way to improve my FO IB prospects...
    The entrance requirements aren't exactly reflective of the difficult of attaining an offer (otherwise all of the top 10 universities for Economics would be equally difficult to get into, which is untrue).

UCL would have been way harder to get into than Manchester/Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaraWarah)
    The entrance requirements aren't exactly reflective of the difficult of attaining an offer (otherwise all of the top 10 universities for Economics would be equally difficult to get into, which is untrue).

UCL would have been way harder to get into than Manchester/Nottingham.
    This was for Chemical Eng though, not Maths/Economics etc where UCL excel. UCL's Chem Eng course isn't as competitive as there others. Not that it makes much difference at this point haha.

ReputationRep:
    This was for Chemical Eng though, not Maths/Economics etc where UCL excel. UCL's Chem Eng course isn't as competitive as there others. Not that it makes much difference at this point haha.
    My bad, I thought this was Economics.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.