The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS 4 - Corporate Culture Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iggyDash
globalisation examples please?

like said before Tesco's,
but also ikea
and then you have the undeniably globalised businesses like amazon, yahoo, coca-cola, wal-mart/asda, mcdonalds

what question do you think would be likely to come up for globalisation? like whether its necessary for success or?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 741
Original post by snowster
Tesco / Starbucks are what i'm planning to use for globalisation :smile:

Thanks

Thank you much appreciated

Whats the fifferences between this and emerging markets?
Reply 742
Thanks

I believe emerging markets refer to the markets themselves ie the bric economies. Whereas globalisation is the process of entering these (or other) markets
globalisation examples please?

NIKE - They used to use child labour from indonesia to produce their products and were sold all over the world. You can use this for CSR aswell.
Thanks

I think those links are for emerging markets more than globalisation personally. However I suppose you could argue that by moving into an emerging market you take advantage of globalisation because of their lower costs etc?
Reply 745
Original post by sofiax0
like said before Tesco's,
but also ikea
and then you have the undeniably globalised businesses like amazon, yahoo, coca-cola, wal-mart/asda, mcdonalds

what question do you think would be likely to come up for globalisation? like whether its necessary for success or?

it says on the spec "
assessing the effects of the following factors on

business organisations:
globalisation
developments in emerging markets

evaluating the strategies businesses might deploy in response to these changes

so something on how business respond and effects of it may come up :smile:

(edited 10 years ago)
Well, we done globalisation in economics and its basically closer links being formed between the worlds economies. There are global brands where a brand is known worldwide (Coca cola) and Global sourcing which means buying raw materials from one country, producing it in another country and selling in another country. Links with international trade.
Reply 747
Dreading this exam!
Reply 748
Thanks

Emerging market are one that has a rapid growth GDP, more customers and more disposable income, whereas globalisation is when you compete with companies in other countries.
Reply 749
Original post by ksingh
Dreading this exam!

Join the club...
Reply 750
Original post by MrBobb
Emerging market are one that has a rapid growth GDP, more customers and more disposable income, whereas globalisation is when you compete with companies in other countries.

Thanks for clearing that up
it says on the spec "

business organisations:
globalisation
developments in emerging markets

evaluating the strategies businesses might deploy in response to these changes

so something on how business respond and effects of it may come up :smile:

oh okay thank you! do you have the link to the spec? is it on the aqa website?
Reply 752
IS RETRENCHMENT THE BEST STRATEGY FOR A COMPANY THAT HAS LOST ITS POSITION AS A MARKET LEADER??

Whats an against point for this?
I got Apple - In a changing technological environment rather product develop to meet needs of customers
Anyone have like a plan for 'Does a strong culture guarentee business success in the long term?'

I've got a plan but not sure how good it is and would like some other points to compare to!! :smile:
Original post by rubix1
IS RETRENCHMENT THE BEST STRATEGY FOR A COMPANY THAT HAS LOST ITS POSITION AS A MARKET LEADER??

I got Apple - In a changing technological environment rather product develop to meet needs of customers

Apple never lost it's position though so I'm not sure how strong that would be...
Reply 755
Original post by andyjack94
Apple never lost it's position though so I'm not sure how strong that would be...

The very recent drop in share price (700-300) after iPhone 5 was announced?
Original post by rubix1

no - with tesco you could say that although they retrenched their fresh and easy chain, they're expanding into emerging markets such as Thailand

no - royal mail, although its still a market leader simply because its nationalised, to avoid losing its position as a market leader when its privatising, its focusing on modernisation and adapting to the change in consumer behaviours - more e-retailing, less letters - so they're focusing on delivering parcels - 70% of people are more likely to order online if its delivered by royal mail (but thats similar to your apple point)

no - yahoo, they're losing their position because of competition from google and stuff, but rather than retrenchment, they're focusing on expansion through acquistions, for example with the acquisition of tumblr, becoming better, so enhancing its flickr service, and with competition, rather than attempting to take down competition, its made concessions with it e.g with Facebook they have an advertising partnership --> yahoo have sharing capibilites with fb on all their websites

is that what you meant or have i got the wrong end of the stick :confused:
Also seen people asking for a weak culture. On tutor2u someone said Tesco - because of the disinterested staff and long queues. Also it was wound up in the horse meat scandal. So I'm gunna use that and would also be very good in proving a weak culture can have some success - then saying their profits and market share recently falling though which would gain marks.
Original post by rubix1
The very recent drop in share price (700-300) after iPhone 5 was announced?

I still wouldn't say they lost it though but i guess you do have a valid point if you actually stated that fact
Original post by andyjack94
no that it is an awkward and hard question better off spending time on others

oooh okay! Thanks!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending