The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS 4 - Corporate Culture Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by snowster
I'm answering this question at the moment: Does a strong organisational culture guarantee business success in the long-term?

Can anyone give me an example of where a strong culture hasn't guaranteed success?

enron had a strong organisational culture, but it was negative, embracing illegal activities such as the forging and confusing finances, ultimatley this resulted in their failure.
Original post by sofiax0
enron had a strong organisational culture, but it was negative, embracing illegal activities such as the forging and confusing finances, ultimatley this resulted in their failure.

Do you have any notes on Enron which you could upload or send to me?
I'm answering this question at the moment: Does a strong organisational culture guarantee business success in the long-term?

Can anyone give me an example of where a strong culture hasn't guaranteed success?

Enron! says a bit about here... http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.php/business-studies/comments/organisation-culture-strong-v-weak
Original post by sofiax0

"Does a strong organisational culture guarantee business success in the long-term?"

Would HMV be a good one? I don't know about their culture but it seems like they had a good culture however due to poor strategy for example failing to gain a competitive advantage through diversification or cost leadership in Porter's Generic strategy they failed? Obviously I'll expand that and go into more detail but is that right or am I completely wrong using HMV, I haven't done Enron, what is another good example of a strong culture that hasn't been successful?
Reply 824
Original post by YoloPirate
Where did this come from?

yep tutor2u :smile:
Reply 825
just a quick message to all in this discussion that i've probably learnt more about buss4 from all of you and tutor2u than i have in sixth form over this past year :P so thank you and good luck to everyone!! :smile:
Original post by air6199
i think another one could be Google, they spend heavily on new innovative ideas like Google Glass.

i suppose. So is any company that innovates classed as risk taking?
Reply 827

However on the other hand an organisation can have a strong culture primarily built upon unethical values for example
Enron had a strong but toxic organisational culture. jeff skilling made it clear his type of peope where extreme risk takers and thrill seekers. enron made employees beloeive that being dishonest was a productive and suitable way to acheive there goals. consequently there unethical behaviour lead to bankrupty of $63.4bn. Sotherefore this poit clearly illustrates that a company with a stong organsational culture can lead to a bad perfomance like enron whcih became bankrupt

Any feedback on this paragraph?
Reply 828
Original post by MrChuckNorris
What are some good examples for:

- Retrenchment -
- Contingency planning? (I don't even know what that is)
- CSR -
- Leadership -
- Emerging markets -

Also, are there any other possible topics that may come up? Thanks

Someone uploaded this before on here before:

1.Mission Aims and Objectives
2.CSR + Sustainability
3.Retrenchment
4:Takeovers and Mergers
5European Business
6:Contingency Planning
1. EVERY COMPANY YOU CAN THINK OF
2. M&S, Primark (do some)
3. Tesco (Fresh&Easy), Nokia (Symbian)
4. Amazon/Zappos, Nokia/Microsoft
5. Ikea, Primark
6. For contingency planning you can bring in BP because they failed to plan, and you can bring in Cadbury because did the opposite and planned with the salmonella crisis.
Do you have any notes on Enron which you could upload or send to me?

here are my notes on them
Reply 830
Original post by sofiax0

That's amazing, do you have more for other businesses?
Original post by sofiax0

Thank you! They're some good notes :smile:

Thanks!

Original post by iggyDash
However on the other hand an organisation can have a strong culture primarily built upon unethical values for example
Enron had a strong but toxic organisational culture. jeff skilling made it clear his type of peope where extreme risk takers and thrill seekers. enron made employees beloeive that being dishonest was a productive and suitable way to acheive there goals. consequently there unethical behaviour lead to bankrupty of $63.4bn. Sotherefore this poit clearly illustrates that a company with a stong organsational culture can lead to a bad perfomance like enron whcih became bankrupt

Any feedback on this paragraph?

Reply 832
Original post by sofiax0

you can tell this girl is gonna get an A* :wink:
Original post by MrChuckNorris
"Does a strong organisational culture guarantee business success in the long-term?"

Would HMV be a good one? I don't know about their culture but it seems like they had a good culture however due to poor strategy for example failing to gain a competitive advantage through diversification or cost leadership in Porter's Generic strategy they failed? Obviously I'll expand that and go into more detail but is that right or am I completely wrong using HMV, I haven't done Enron, what is another good example of a strong culture that hasn't been successful?

i havent looked at HMV, so im not sure, but sounds about the right thing, like if you research and find otu that they did have a strong culture, but ultimately failed because of increased competition from downloads and amazon then that would be good id say!

i uplaoded my notes for enron so have a look at those maybe? im not sure of another strong one that hasn't been successful :frown:
Reply 834
Original post by sofiax0
i havent looked at HMV, so im not sure, but sounds about the right thing, like if you research and find otu that they did have a strong culture, but ultimately failed because of increased competition from downloads and amazon then that would be good id say!

i uplaoded my notes for enron so have a look at those maybe? im not sure of another strong one that hasn't been successful :frown:

Rbs maybe?
If anyone has notes on RBS, Barclays or Goldman Sachs can you please quote me with the link

:borat:
Original post by andyjack94
can anyone think of a YES for 'A strong culture is one that encourages risk taking?'

Can only think of apple and their culture... :frown:

What example have you used for no?
What example have you used for no?

John Lewis and Royal Mail. Both have strong cultures but don't necessarily risk take.
Reply 838
Reply 839
Original post by andyjack94
i suppose. So is any company that innovates classed as risk taking?

to an extent i guess so, as long as you can back up the point you make, you'll be fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending