Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrFantastic)
    That's my structure but do examples have to been given to back up the point?
    Yes, thats what examples should be used for

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan94adibi)
    Yh, pretty much. Hoping that bullet point 2 comes up. Although I wouldn't mind 1 and 4.
    Anyways, for competitive environment I've mainly focused on the market structures and competition policy:

With market structure:

Oligopoly - Supermarket industry. Dominated by few large supermarkets and its lead by Tesco. The market is highly concentrated (64% of the market is dominated by the top 4 supermarkets). They tend to collude to maximise their performance although it is illegal and if found they can be fined. They form a Cartel just like OPEC has.

Monopoly - Microsoft (although they are faced with competition from Apple and they're not a single producer but in UK a monopoly is defined as a firm with more than 25% market share). Microsoft windows is operating on almost all PC's

Competition policy - looks after consumer welfares and insures that there is healthy amount of competition in the market.

In 2009 they forced BAA to sell of Gatwick and Stansted to improve competition (economist believe that competition = more consumer choice = efficiency) but you could say that Heathrow is still the main airport in the UK and losing Gatwick may not actually do any good for competition.

Not sure if you have a bank account with Lloyds TSB but if you do you would have received a letter saying that competition commission is now forcing the bank to break up so that there is more competition in the market. You will have TSB Bank in the future.
    Why not integrate porters five forces into it? Thats one of the key points for competitive environment because it shows why competitiveness varies

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yh, pretty much. Hoping that bullet point 2 comes up. Although I wouldn't mind 1 and 4.
    Anyways, for competitive environment I've mainly focused on the market structures and competition policy:

With market structure:

Oligopoly - Supermarket industry. Dominated by few large supermarkets and its lead by Tesco. The market is highly concentrated (64% of the market is dominated by the top 4 supermarkets). They tend to collude to maximise their performance although it is illegal and if found they can be fined. They form a Cartel just like OPEC has.

Monopoly - Microsoft (although they are faced with competition from Apple and they're not a single producer but in UK a monopoly is defined as a firm with more than 25% market share). Microsoft windows is operating on almost all PC's

Competition policy - looks after consumer welfares and insures that there is healthy amount of competition in the market.

In 2009 they forced BAA to sell of Gatwick and Stansted to improve competition (economist believe that competition = more consumer choice = efficiency) but you could say that Heathrow is still the main airport in the UK and losing Gatwick may not actually do any good for competition.

Not sure if you have a bank account with Lloyds TSB but if you do you would have received a letter saying that competition commission is now forcing the bank to break up so that there is more competition in the market. You will have TSB Bank in the future.
    Thanks
    they are likely to merge bullet point 1&2 and a diff question for 3&4&5

if economic/ tech/leadershop comes up im sorted

ReputationRep:

With market structure:

I hope this comes up too, mainly because I did it in Economics :P but isn;t the figure for the supermarkets more along the lines of 76%?

ReputationRep:
    What is correct term for a business who does unethical/have poor values but believe themselves that they are right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomac)
    Why not integrate porters five forces into it? Thats one of the key points for competitive environment because it shows why competitiveness varies

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yh I mean if you want to talk about why competition could very PFF is probably the best way to explain it and if you want to talk about how they could gain competitiveness then his generic strategies are the one to talk about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superunknown17)
    I hope this comes up too, mainly because I did it in Economics :P but isn;t the figure for the supermarkets more along the lines of 76%?
    Well last time I was reading it was 64% :P maybe it's best not to mention the actual figure. xD

ReputationRep:
    Well, good luck everyone ^^ We'll see each other in a couple of hours!)

ReputationRep:
    Right i've covered 4 solid case studies for Part A (Google, Vogue, Southwest Airlines & Royal Mail)
    And I've got about 15 for Part B (Missions Aims & Objectives, Business Cycle, Contingency Planning, Technology Change, Takeovers & Mergers, CSR & Globalisation) If one of those doesn't come up in Part B i'm going to flip!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nilie)
    Well, good luck everyone ^^ We'll see each other in a couple of hours!)
    Good luck to you too and everyone else on this thread working hard. I hope the exam goes smooth for all of us and we get the grade our unis want

ReputationRep:
    What's Rynnair Market Share ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Best of LUCK everyone !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Goodluck everyone, make sure to answer the question and use PEEl

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good luck all

ReputationRep:
    Good luck peoples!

ReputationRep:
    Wait, this exam is on mergers, right?

ReputationRep:
    I feel like my pen just emitted a load of s*** on my paper. Im not joking, i reckon i could have sh**ted on that paper and got a better grade!

ReputationRep:
    how did people think it went?

ReputationRep:
    Was a pretty decent exam. I did Questions 1 and 4 and talked about Apple, Google, Barclays, Daimler-Benz, Chrysler, Amazon, Tesco/Findus and Microsoft.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.