Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iggyDash)
    AAB need a B for business and an A for economics. or other way round. but i think i got an A for econ hopefully and B for this

Already got an A in it i think / hope

you?
    I need AAB, not sure I've got this though. Manchester are supposed to be quite lenient though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infamous12)
    Guys, what happens if you only referred to google once in section A?
    I'm not sure myself, but I read previously on this thread that you have to mention it twice or something. In my opinion though, if you mention it only once bit go on to produce really good paragraphs with application from other businesses then you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, what happens if you only referred to google once in section A?
    I've heard there's a maximum mark that they can't award more than in such cases

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir_Psycho)
    I'm not sure myself, but I read previously on this thread that you have to mention it twice or something. In my opinion though, if you mention it only once bit go on to produce really good paragraphs with application from other businesses then you'll be fine.
    I really disliked the questions from section A. I felt as though my examples that i used wouldnt get good application, maybe reasonable if im lucky. I done Q1 and i found it difficult to get 4 points but i managed in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadster)
    I need AAB, not sure I've got this though. Manchester are supposed to be quite lenient though
    I was going to choose manchester but didnt , it was too close

Economics is awesome to be honest. Ive took pleasure learning the a level Its intresting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iggyDash)
    I was going to choose manchester but didnt , it was too close

Economics is awesome to be honest. Ive took pleasure learning the a level Its intresting
    Oh fair enough. I love the course at Manchester, goin abroad during my second year hopefully wooo

ReputationRep:
    I've heard there's a maximum mark that they can't award more than in such cases
    According to tutor2u, they say try and make atleast 2. Im guessing Good application is gone out the window for Section A then :/ But maybe my reference could suffice if it was good?

ReputationRep:
    According to tutor2u, they say try and make atleast 2. Im guessing Good application is gone out the window for Section A then :/ But maybe my reference could suffice if it was good?
    Hopefully it'll be enough.. You deserve an awesome grade

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully it'll be enough.. You deserve an awesome grade
    Thanks buddy! I might of actually used google in my conclusion also but i cant remember. Hopefully we all get the grade we need on results day. Best of luck!!

ReputationRep:
    I basically wrote this but with a paragraph on google aswell

Corporate culture essay

Business are always changing but to what extent does a change in corporate culture help the business. Throughout this essay I will discuss the reasons why a corporate culture may change, and the impact these changes bring about.

When the recession hit, businesses in the technology market were struggling to maintain high levels of expenditure in R+D due to a substantial fall in demand. With HP's financial reserves not large enough to take a hit, change was needed if they were to maintain their high levels of investment. HP decided to change from a culture heavily influenced by soft HRM to one of cost minimisation. By making thousands of middle layer jobs redundant the business would be able to save a large sum of money and ensure it operations were still efficient. Although there would be a short term con of swaying away from the companies core vales, the long term competitiveness through continuous investment in R+D will heavily outweigh this. I believe without this change the long term survival of the business would be compromised due the the loss of HPs competitive advantage of innovation through R+D.

When Tesco saw a fall in market share for the first time in many years they analysed their business and fount underlying internal problems of customer service. CEO Philip Clarke then took the decision to lead the business away from it profit orientated corporate culture, to one more focused on consumers. This included increasing the number of staff in each store, with the aim of it improving customer experience. Although this proposal looks good on paper I believe it could in fact backfire and lead to complacency in the workforce due to a decreased workload. To avoid this Tesco must ensure staff are motivated via extra training and empowerment. In evaluation I believe individually a corporate culture change may not solve the problems Tesco face, instead I believe it will be the execution of their strategy which will determine success. One could also argue that Tescos profit culture is firmly embedded in its core and its unlikely to change. With previous success determined by their low unit costs would they be prepared to take a short term hit in their margins to accommodate increased expenditure in training. In part it will therefore be Philips ability to convince shareholders that this long term plan will work, as its ultimately the shareholders who he needs to make happy, and this strategy is costly.

Comparing cross industry I believe a change in corporate culture would be dependent on the barriers to growth. Tesco couldn't really compete much more on price, however other businesses who sell price elastic goods may be able to grow and stimulate demand by lowering prices. Car company Toyota decided to alter its operations in order to lower prices, and so increase demand. As Tesco couldn't operate a strategy like this I believe this would have influenced their decision to change culture. I therefore believe a corporate culture change is only necessary when there is no alternative solution to their problems or better opportunity cost.

Finally a change in corporate culture may be brought about via a merger or acquisition. When HP merged with Compaq the company had to create a hybrid culture in order to avoid a potential culture clash. Through extensive corporate planning this was identified as necessary in order to successfully incorporate Compaq into the business. This successfully resulted in a combination of both businesses best attributes and the resulting company more competitive. Again comparing cross industry; when Innocent combined with Coca Cola they managed to sustain complete control and so corporate culture of the business. However I believe this is not sustainable during globalisation and recently innocent have been found to become more unethical to provide its products globally. This goes against the company's original corporate culture, but it's arguably inevitable during their rapid growth.

In conclusion a corporate culture change can provide a business with a new direction, a solution to a problem and help them achieve their corporate objectives. It is however important to note that changing corporate culture will only produce results in the long term, and if the business needs an immediate change for example due to an imminent threat to survival this may not be the best strategy. It will ultimately be down to the CEOs vision of the business and how forward thinking and long term their plan is. Corporate culture is just one element of a business and all businesses must combine it with other elements to produce the best possible results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ^ I did essay 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks buddy! I might of actually used google in my conclusion also but i cant remember. Hopefully we all get the grade we need on results day. Best of luck!!
    Hopefully thanks!! Good luck to you too

ReputationRep:
    Any one got answer for questions 5 please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apple1992)
    Any one got answer for questions 5 please
    I talked about :

Tesco diversifying into legal advice and mobile phones
    Evaluation point - they will continue to grow as they have an in depth knowledge of the market compared to smaller competitors (talked about the club card being able to identify the loyal customers and demographic)

Apple going into emerging markets
    Evaluation point - dependent on ability to stay in front of competition by innovation

Procter and gamble by acquiring different companies and growing them into multinationals
    Evaluation point - try to avoid diseconomies of scale but should work regardless as no imminent threat
    Then across industry comparison with Facebook and how they can't grow much more due to global monopolisation but they could diversity into mobile phones etc

Conclusion
    Dependent of CEOs attitude to risk as they're are plenty of growth strategys but some will provide more riskier but better results than others

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tonie95)
    yeah thats what i meant LOL
    Ah phew!! In that case, I did the same questions as me.

Did you do the culture on with 2 showing that the same culture is for highly profitble businesses (google and apple) and then two that showed that you can still be highly profitable with a different culture (RBS and Zappos)?

ReputationRep:
    Guys I think that exam went pretty well I'm quite happy!
    I hope everyone did well, and considering this is the last exam for a lot of people - CONGRATSS to everyone
    On and on the side note, thanks to everyone who helped me and I hope I could help some of you out when you guys asked for it!

See everyone on results day, I'll be on this thread lol

ReputationRep:
    I did Q1 and Q3

Q1 I did Zappos vs Innocent and how they both have similar cultures and have done pretty well for themselves. Then I did Nokia vs Apple and how some businesses need to have innovative cultures and then I did Southwest airlines vs Ryanair on how totally different cultures can still be successful.

Q3 I did Poundland vs Tesco for economic factors effecting sales, Herbal essences vs Lush for Social factors that can either harm or be used to benefit them and HMV vs Argos for Technological factors about ignoring changes.

ReputationRep:
    Section A (Q1)
    Leadership as biggest influence on culture: Contrasted Google (entrepeneurial culture developed by Larry Page) & Vogue (power culture developed by Anna Witmour)
    Industry as another influence on culture: Contrasted Google (innovative industry) and Foxconn (productive industry)
    Then for agreeing with the question: Similarities between Google and Southwest Airlines with employee centric cultures.
    Only got 2 for and 1 against, went into a fair bit of detail and got a big conclusion in, about 3.5 pages.

Section B (Q3)
    Bit more vague, 'preparing for changes in external environment' could mean a lot, i went with recession/economic environment for/against (Republic Clothing/Dominos) and corporate planning/contingency planning (Cadburys/Toyota)

ReputationRep:
    I done question 1 and 4
    for question 1 i used nokia, apple and google spoke about innovation, power culture, task culture entreprenurial culture
    for question 4 i used starbucks , apple , nokia, EE,
    Decent paper overall

ReputationRep:
    Q2 and Q4 for me. Thought the paper was pretty good That was probably the fastest exam I've ever taken, too...

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.