Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (I'm a guy first of all )
    I've decided to Starr going to the gym, im 18 an aveeage 5ft 6 weigh 55kg, looking to get big( edit I mean toned not big)for a lads holiday in June to maga
    I'm very skinny and have never done any physical activity and cannot even bicep curl 10kg
    Will going 3 tines a week for 4/5 months be noticeable and will I make large gains?
    Can someone recommend a workout for me, I want to work upper body, get toned and bigger as I'm very skinny atm
    Thanks for any replies! :yes:
    Would I have to have a diet?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

OK so this is an edit
    After my first gym session I found out I struggle on 3*5 on 5 kg bicep curls, by the 5th rep on 1st set I struggled massively, cannot do one rep of 8kg
    And lack confidence to do bigger lifts such as bench and squat

ReputationRep:
    You're not going to get the best information on here. You're not going to get "big" in three months though and diet is incredibly important.

ReputationRep:
    Work whole body, not just upper body. Squats help with muscles throughout the body! And you dont want to be the guy with stick legs!

Yes you will need 'a diet'. You'd die without one

Eat Lots, Lift Heavy, Sleep lots!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by printergirl)
    (I'm a guy first of all )
    I've decided to Starr going to the gym, im 18 an aveeage 5ft 6 weigh 55kg, looking to get big for a lads holiday in June to maga
    I'm very skinny and have never done any physical activity and cannot even bicep curl 10kg
    Will going 3 tines a week for 4/5 months be noticeable and will I make large gains?
    Can someone recommend a workout for me, I want to work upper body, get toned and bigger as I'm very skinny atm
    Thanks for any replies! :yes:
    Would I have to have a diet?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    eat alot (of the right stuff) get on some supplements; creatine, whey protein/weight gainer, go in the gym 4 times a week, DONT neglect legs (release lots of testosterone), do lots of compound lifts; deadlifts, bench, military press, etcc.. you wont get massive in 4 month, but youll notice abit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llessur123)
    You're not going to get the best information on here. You're not going to get "big" in three months though and diet is incredibly important.
    (Original post by SamEastie)
    eat alot (of the right stuff) get on some supplements; creatine, whey protein/weight gainer, go in the gym 4 times a week, DONT neglect legs (release lots of testosterone), do lots of compound lifts; deadlifts, bench, military press, etcc.. you wont get massive in 4 month, but youll notice abit.
    Not big / ripped but toned
    I don't want to take Any shakes either
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Could you post an image of the kind of body you're looking for? Why don't you want to take shakes?

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    well you can be 'ripped' well, more toned, and skinny, which isnt a good look, or you can go and put on size first by bulking and then cut, but that takes time. you shouldve started ages ago. you wont get very far in the time you have. and ok, thats your choice, but imo they're worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    you don't need to take shakes, they'll just help. Have a rich protein diet, chicken/milk/eggs etc

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you want to take shakes?
    They are actually good for you! A whey protein shake has no chemicals, it is the run off from making cheese with some flavouring! If you don't take shakes you're gonna have to eat a hell of a lot more!

ReputationRep:
    Heyyyy, there's a large group of medical students on here. Some people are really good at biology, and I'll put money on it - some of us know how to pile on the pounds :P

But I agree three months at 55kg, to get big will be very demanding but it's not impossible. You'd most likely have to purchase a hefty amount of supplements. Even then the time required is immense! But you can deffo tone in three months, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    inb4 starting strength

ReputationRep:
    You're going on holiday in June but you say you have 4/5 months?

:iiam:

ReputationRep:
    You'll need to work very very hard for what you're wanting.

I would recommend a 5x5 workout. Meaning; working on a heavy rotation. No light weight routines just plain and simple heavy weights, 5 reps of 5 sets.

More importantly you'll need to eat properly. Good solid clean food; chicken fillets, steak, eggs, beef jerky, veg, fruit and salad. Nuts and seeds. Not forgetting to keep your body hydrated!

You will need to take some supplements at your current weight. Protein and Creatine at the very least.

So to recap;

Good clean food.
    Lift heavy
    Hydrate
    Sleep well
    Supplement.

That's it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    for your diet eat a lot of pasta and protein; thats what footballers do!also , why dont you ask at your gym for help? when i used to go there was this guy there who made a chart for me with all the exercises i should do its the best way!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ce303ce303)
    for your diet eat a lot of pasta and protein; thats what footballers do!also , why dont you ask at your gym for help? when i used to go there was this guy there who made a chart for me with all the exercises i should do its the best way!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OP you need to find this guy. He has charts.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee R)
    You'll need to work very very hard for what you're wanting.

I would recommend a 5x5 workout. Meaning; working on a heavy rotation. No light weight routines just plain and simple heavy weights, 5 reps of 5 sets.

More importantly you'll need to eat properly. Good solid clean food; chicken fillets, steak, eggs, beef jerky, veg, fruit and salad. Nuts and seeds. Not forgetting to keep your body hydrated!

You will need to take some supplements at your current weight. Protein and Creatine at the very least.

So to recap;

Good clean food.
    Lift heavy
    Hydrate
    Sleep well
    Supplement.

That's it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

(Original post by ce303ce303)

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by silent ninja)
    OP you need to find this guy. He has charts.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thanks everyone im going on holiday in june but obviously ill have all summer for gym!

can you recommend workouts for me or any good sites?

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone im going on holiday in june but obviously ill have all summer for gym!

can you recommend workouts for me or any good sites?
    Work Out A
    Bench Press
    Shoulder Press
    Barbell Row
    Bicep curl (optional)

Work Out B
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Ab work

Monday A
    Tuesday B
    Wednsday Rest
    Thursday A
    Friday B
    Weekend rest

I think that would work out well for a beginner.
    3*8 for all exercises, except for dead lift where you will do 1*5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonstudent1)
    Work Out A
    Bench Press
    Shoulder Press
    Barbell Row
    Bicep curl (optional)

Work Out B
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Ab work

Monday A
    Tuesday B
    Wednsday Rest
    Thursday A
    Friday B
    Weekend rest

I think that would work out well for a beginner.
    3*8 for all exercises, except for dead lift where you will do 1*5
    3*8 3 sets of 8 reps?
    what weight do i go with, im very weak. im embarased i wont be able to bench 30kg

ReputationRep:
    3*8 3 sets of 8 reps?
    what weight do i go with, im very weak. im embarased i wont be able to bench 30kg
    yes thats right 3 sets of 8 reps and for deadlift 1 set of 5 reps.
    You will be a bit embarrassed when you start, there not much getting around that. I found a good way to get around this was to just listen to my mp3 player, helped me focus, get motivated and block out other people.
    What kind of gym are you planning to go to btw and what kind of equipment do they have?

ReputationRep:
    3*8 3 sets of 8 reps?
    In terms of what weight to start of with. Start LOW, what ever you think you can lift 3*8 for your first session go a few kg lower and focus on form. Incredibly important to focus on form, particularly when you start out.
    If that means benching an empty bar so be it.
    Form is important for all these lifts but much more so for the squat, take the time to learn the technique.
    And for help with the form youtube the name of the lift with rippetoe. He has excellent instructional videos.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.