Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by printergirl)
    (I'm a guy first of all )
    I've decided to Starr going to the gym, im 18 an aveeage 5ft 6 weigh 55kg, looking to get big( edit I mean toned not big)for a lads holiday in June to maga
    I'm very skinny and have never done any physical activity and cannot even bicep curl 10kg
    Will going 3 tines a week for 4/5 months be noticeable and will I make large gains?
    Can someone recommend a workout for me, I want to work upper body, get toned and bigger as I'm very skinny atm
    Thanks for any replies! :yes:
    Would I have to have a diet?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

OK so this is an edit
    After my first gym session I found out I struggle on 3*5 on 5 kg bicep curls, by the 5th rep on 1st set I struggled massively, cannot do one rep of 8kg
    And lack confidence to do bigger lifts such as bench and squat
    For starters you starting on the wrong thing and mad a classic gym mistake; you went strait into bicep curls.

When first starting out you need to do the the big compund exercises such as bench presses and lateral pulldowns. Why? Mainly because these exercises hit multiple, large muscle groups so will give you big results quickly whilst at the same time avoiding getting one muscle group too large for other groups to properly support you. So id try something like this.

Monday: Chest and Triceps. Smith Bench; Bench press. 1st set: 15kg, 2nd set:20kg, 3rd set 25kg
    Chest fly machine. 1st Set: 37.5kg, 2nd set: 45kg, 3rd set: 52.5kg
    Dumbell Press. 1st set:10kg, 2nd set: 15kg, 3rd set: 20kg
    Over head press (Lay on bench). 1st set: 10kg 2nd set:15kg 3rd set: 20kg

Wednesday:Lats and BackPull ups, max effort. 1 set
    Lateral Pulldowns, underarm grip. 1st set: 30kg, 2nd set: 35kg, 3rd set: 40kg
    Seated Row. 1st set 30kg, 2nd set: 35kg, 3rd set: 40kg
    Reverse Fly Machine. 1st set: 30kg, 2nd set: 37.5kg, 3rd set: 45kg

Friday:Shoulders and LegsShoulder Press; palms forward 1st set: 7Kg, 2nd set: 10kg, 3rd set: 12kg
    Squats, max effort. 1 set

You get the idea. If you skim through any fitness mag theyll have a list of exercises you can do and new techniques are always being tried out so these are just ideas. Each of the above sets are for a maximum rep count of 15, which mean in the first 2 sets you should be getting 15 with the last struggling to achieve 15. If its too easy increase the weight and if too hard reduce it.

If you want to get fit most important thing is dont be embarrassed by what by what your doing. Light weights with correct technique get better results than heavier weight performed badly. Also if you need help or ideas ask the staff or even others in the gym, ul find most will be quite helpful.

Remember to have a rest day so you can recover in between workdays and also every couple of weeks put in a new exercise to keep your body working hard and developing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ndClass)
    I can see where she/he's coming from. If you bench on the same day as arm day, you're not going to curl as heavy let alone reach your PR. Some people like to make arm day an isolation exercise and get their bench day on chest/tricep day.
    That doesn't even answer what OP said. Which is that he thinks training biceps first is better for his bench.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Macabre)
    For starters you starting on the wrong thing and mad a classic gym mistake; you went strait into bicep curls.

When first starting out you need to do the the big compund exercises such as bench presses and lateral pulldowns. Why? Mainly because these exercises hit multiple, large muscle groups so will give you big results quickly whilst at the same time avoiding getting one muscle group too large for other groups to properly support you. So id try something like this.

Monday: Chest and Triceps. Smith Bench; Bench press. 1st set: 15kg, 2nd set:20kg, 3rd set 25kg
    Chest fly machine. 1st Set: 37.5kg, 2nd set: 45kg, 3rd set: 52.5kg
    Dumbell Press. 1st set:10kg, 2nd set: 15kg, 3rd set: 20kg
    Over head press (Lay on bench). 1st set: 10kg 2nd set:15kg 3rd set: 20kg

Wednesday:Lats and BackPull ups, max effort. 1 set
    Lateral Pulldowns, underarm grip. 1st set: 30kg, 2nd set: 35kg, 3rd set: 40kg
    Seated Row. 1st set 30kg, 2nd set: 35kg, 3rd set: 40kg
    Reverse Fly Machine. 1st set: 30kg, 2nd set: 37.5kg, 3rd set: 45kg

Friday:Shoulders and LegsShoulder Press; palms forward 1st set: 7Kg, 2nd set: 10kg, 3rd set: 12kg
    Squats, max effort. 1 set

You get the idea. If you skim through any fitness mag theyll have a list of exercises you can do and new techniques are always being tried out so these are just ideas. Each of the above sets are for a maximum rep count of 15, which mean in the first 2 sets you should be getting 15 with the last struggling to achieve 15. If its too easy increase the weight and if too hard reduce it.

If you want to get fit most important thing is dont be embarrassed by what by what your doing. Light weights with correct technique get better results than heavier weight performed badly. Also if you need help or ideas ask the staff or even others in the gym, ul find most will be quite helpful.

Remember to have a rest day so you can recover in between workdays and also every couple of weeks put in a new exercise to keep your body working hard and developing
    Thanks your advice very helpful

And to why I thought bicep curls first then bench , because I thought I would be too weak to bench the lightest weight which is probably min 20 kg? Where as bicep curl is 5 kg
    Sorry if that was dumb but I'm not a gym expert and some of your replies don't have to be so dismissive (silent ninja)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

And to why I thought bicep curls first then bench , because I thought I would be too weak to bench the lightest weight which is probably min 20 kg? Where as bicep curl is 5 kg
    Sorry if that was dumb but I'm not a gym expert and some of your replies don't have to be so dismissive (silent ninja)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, the bar is 20kg itself.

I strongly suggest you get on a good routine and stick to it. Otherwise you'll probably find yourself flapping around unsure of what to do next. Keep track of your progress and just have confidence in yourself mate. Start light and work your way up.

Enjoy and good luck.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wasn't aimed directly at you just the post I quoted. The stickies have sufficient information to get you started so definitely read those before asking questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would say do a trhee day split
    Day1: Chest and Triceps
    Day2: Back and Biceps
    Day3: Shoulders and Legs

Do them with 1/2 day rest in between, its pretty much my work out

ReputationRep:
    Hi there

As a begginer I suggest you stick to a basic and proven routine. This routine relies on the basic compound movements that work multiple muscle groups at once. I can't stress this enough, but alongside working out you need to eat a good diet. I suggest you get around 3000 calories a day, with sufficient protein to cater for muscle growth. (some might disagree, but I don't believe that counting your macros and being a food nazi is nessecary as a begginer but try and keep it reasonably healthy - get your calories and enough protein.)

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with. (Look these up on youtube if you do not know how to do them)

Do this routine 3 times a week with atleast a day inbetween each workout. The first
    day will be your heavy day, on the next two days reduce the weight by 10%.

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
    The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
    The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
    The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
    The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
    The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.

2 of the 4 sets listed will be your warm up with half the weight of your work sets.

If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and
    repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.

Credit to ALLPRO for this routine

Not being able to bench the bar will really not be a problem, lots of people who warm up or do more obscure excersises use low weights and it is very common to see people moving only the bar and anybody who would frown upon such a thing is obviously not worth the time of day.

Best of luck and remember you can't build muscle out of nothing, so you need to eat. Any questions feel free to send me a message.

Hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaQ_mAn_)
    I would say do a trhee day split
    Day1: Chest and Triceps
    Day2: Back and Biceps
    Day3: Shoulders and Legs

Do them with 1/2 day rest in between, its pretty much my work out
    i think ill go with this workout
    (Original post by CWE)
    thanls @cwe but this seems too full on, and am i doing all of these workouts each session? i may try it in summer, when ive got used to everything at the gym
    ive decided for now ill just get to use with the machines and perfect technqiue

ive had a few sessions now, 1st just cardio and 5kg bicep curls, next session i did shoulder press, worked on my back, used a chest machine (not sure about names!) however my body aches from the first session its been about 4 days since i worked my arms and theyre still sore, should i risk working them out today, or do i give it more rest time for when it fully stops hurting (i think itll be another 3/4 days, so in total a week rest)?

ReputationRep:
    Do push-ups and sit-ups at home. Push ups are great for upper body strength. At the gym try to do pull-ups and dips which are also great for upper body strength.

I do a 3 day split, Back/Biceps/Shoulders, Legs, Chest/Triceps. As you're training for tone rather than size try to do more reps to increase muscular endurance. Mix up your routine now and again to prevent it from becoming stale and boring.

I don't think you need supplements if you eat right. Have a balanced diet with a lot of meat and fruit/vegetables.

And most importantly, don't worry about what other people think of you! Everyone has to start somewhere. Its much better for you to do light weights with good form than trying to do bigger weights and risking injury.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CWE)
    Hi there

As a begginer I suggest you stick to a basic and proven routine. This routine relies on the basic compound movements that work multiple muscle groups at once. I can't stress this enough, but alongside working out you need to eat a good diet. I suggest you get around 3000 calories a day, with sufficient protein to cater for muscle growth. (some might disagree, but I don't believe that counting your macros and being a food nazi is nessecary as a begginer but try and keep it reasonably healthy - get your calories and enough protein.)

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with. (Look these up on youtube if you do not know how to do them)

Do this routine 3 times a week with atleast a day inbetween each workout. The first
    day will be your heavy day, on the next two days reduce the weight by 10%.

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
    The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
    The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
    The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
    The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
    The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.

2 of the 4 sets listed will be your warm up with half the weight of your work sets.

If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and
    repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.

Credit to ALLPRO for this routine

Not being able to bench the bar will really not be a problem, lots of people who warm up or do more obscure excersises use low weights and it is very common to see people moving only the bar and anybody who would frown upon such a thing is obviously not worth the time of day.

Best of luck and remember you can't build muscle out of nothing, so you need to eat. Any questions feel free to send me a message.

Hope it helps!
    For the last 2 weeks I have
    Breakfast
    2 piece of white toasted bread, 2 fried eggs or 1 egg 1 slice of Bacon, glass of milk whole fat
    Lunch
    Potatoes chicken breast bit of veg or bowl of pasta
    Dinner 2 bowls white rice, chicken and veg
    Snacks 1 banana, 1 apple, piece of bread
    Is this enough, if not what can I do, as I weighed my self and am only 50 kg but a few months back which was the most previous time weighed I was about 55kg
    I struggle when I have work in morning or school as usually I only have time for 1 sliced of toast or a bowl of cereal (is cereal any good? )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Eat well.
    Sleep well.
    Hydrate.
    Lift heavy with low reps. 5x5.
    Compound lifts only for the first 2 months.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am going to start going to the gym tomorrow (trugym) and I was wondering what I should bring ?
    I am planning to wear a t shirt, tracksuit bottoms, trainers and bring a long a towel and a bottle of water.

ReputationRep:
    Your Breakfast seems fine, providing you still manage to hit your calorie goal by the end of the day. Obvioussly eggs are better becaue they contain protein but as long as you make up for your breakfast by having a larger lunch your fine. A good source of protein is peanut butter (which you can have on toast) and is a quik solution to up calories alongside your breakfast.

Since i started going to the gym and all I added to my normal diet was 2 slices of peanut butter on toast along with breakfast, and peanut butter sandwhich in the afternoon. I also find time for chickenbreat/ tuna pasta once a day. This might sound like alot but its very manigable for me andallows me to put on mass. Once in the routine it takes up less than half hour of my day getting the extra calories.

As long as you manage to hit your calorie and protein macros for the day I think you are good, it doesn't matter how they are distributed throughout the day. I would maybe suggest adding one extra meal or doing something similar to what I do to get a bit more food inside you. The best way to tell is the scales/mirror, so set yourself a diet and check after a week and adjust accordingly.

I hope that was some help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manu01)
    Hi, I am going to start going to the gym tomorrow (trugym) and I was wondering what I should bring ?
    I am planning to wear a t shirt, tracksuit bottoms, trainers and bring a long a towel and a bottle of water.

Sounds perfect, if there is lockers remember to bring a padlock! Have fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CWE)
    Your Breakfast seems fine, providing you still manage to hit your calorie goal by the end of the day. Obvioussly eggs are better becaue they contain protein but as long as you make up for your breakfast by having a larger lunch your fine. A good source of protein is peanut butter (which you can have on toast) and is a quik solution to up calories alongside your breakfast.

Since i started going to the gym and all I added to my normal diet was 2 slices of peanut butter on toast along with breakfast, and peanut butter sandwhich in the afternoon. I also find time for chickenbreat/ tuna pasta once a day. This might sound like alot but its very manigable for me andallows me to put on mass. Once in the routine it takes up less than half hour of my day getting the extra calories.

As long as you manage to hit your calorie and protein macros for the day I think you are good, it doesn't matter how they are distributed throughout the day. I would maybe suggest adding one extra meal or doing something similar to what I do to get a bit more food inside you. The best way to tell is the scales/mirror, so set yourself a diet and check after a week and adjust accordingly.

I hope that was some help.
    What concerns me is I only weigh 50 kg, I used to be 55kg and I don't know what's changed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What concerns me is I only weigh 50 kg, I used to be 55kg and I don't know what's changed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, you have lost weight lol. Your weight varies throughout the day so it could be a measuring error, try weighing yourself at the same time as you did in the first place.

The only other reason would be that your burning more calories than you are consuming, this could be because you started using up some of your energy at the gym, so the only way to gain weight is to cut down on the calories your expending by doing less cardio or by eating more!

Hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CWE)
    Well, you have lost weight lol. Your weight varies throughout the day so it could be a measuring error, try weighing yourself at the same time as you did in the first place.

The only other reason would be that your burning more calories than you are consuming, this could be because you started using up some of your energy at the gym, so the only way to gain weight is to cut down on the calories your expending by doing less cardio or by eating more!

Hope it helps.
    I measured at the same place
    I don't do any cardio, only 5 mins on running machine at end of each session at gym
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The lifting itself will burn calories, I have also heard that it could alter your metabolism (but I don't know how much truth there is in this).

It looks like you can't change your routine so you need to up your calorie intake to build muscle.

ReputationRep:
    (I'm a guy first of all )
    I've decided to Starr going to the gym, im 18 an aveeage 5ft 6 weigh 55kg, looking to get big( edit I mean toned not big)for a lads holiday in June to maga
    I'm very skinny and have never done any physical activity and cannot even bicep curl 10kg
    Will going 3 tines a week for 4/5 months be noticeable and will I make large gains?
    Can someone recommend a workout for me, I want to work upper body, get toned and bigger as I'm very skinny atm
    Thanks for any replies! :yes:
    Would I have to have a diet?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

OK so this is an edit
    After my first gym session I found out I struggle on 3*5 on 5 kg bicep curls, by the 5th rep on 1st set I struggled massively, cannot do one rep of 8kg
    And lack confidence to do bigger lifts such as bench and squat

first things first man you gotta eat if you wanna put on muscle

ive seen too many skinny guys in the gym constantly who dont seem to get any bigger and then wonder why they are still small...and its cos you guys seem to be scared of food

all the big guys you see in the gym can put food away so before u even begin going u have to start eating man and when i say eat i dont mean a carrot stick i mean a nandos/maccies

ReputationRep:
    To gain that much, that fast, you are gonna have to do;
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bench Press
    Dumbell Row
    Isolation excersizes on your arms

Excersize your abs, but you won't get your 4/6/8 pack in time for june, as you will have to lose a lot of fat in order to get that, and that means cardio etc, which will affect the bulking of your other muscles.

You have 2.5 months to get to a decent level.

I have seen great gains and results from going every other day, so I would suggest that, doing full body workout, and ensure you eat a butt load of protein every day (I am 170lb and eat around 150g a day), you will also want around 2500-3000 calories a day.

Gain hard for 2 months, and in the final two weeks before your holiday, dedicate a lot of time to cardio and fat burning, dont forget to continue lifting in order to retain muscle size and tone.

When you eat, eat carbs in the morning and less toward evening, eating more and more protein as evening approaches.
    Try to excersize in a fasted state if you can (in the morning) as your body is more likely to respond well to your diet then. Have sugar with your protein shake after the gym (spikes insulin)

Thats my broscience unload!
    Good luck!

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.