Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!
    I just got a new puppy(11 Months) from Dogs Trust in Darlington.
    Was a lovely process, took less than 50 hours! (We where lucky though)
    Tara is a lovely little Irish terrier, quiet and loves her own space!

Just wanted to see if there where any other Dog Trust dog owners so we can see how dogs settle in and help people understand the process and how simple it is get a dog suitable for you and giving it a forever home!
    :run:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imnotcharlotte)
    Hi all!
    I just got a new puppy(11 Months) from Dogs Trust in Darlington.
    Was a lovely process, took less than 50 hours! (We where lucky though)
    Tara is a lovely little Irish terrier, quiet and loves her own space!

Just wanted to see if there where any other Dog Trust dog owners so we can see how dogs settle in and help people understand the process and how simple it is get a dog suitable for you and giving it a forever home!
    :run:
    I'm not really answering in a way you were hoping but......

I would love a dog and have thought about using Dogs Trust/Blue Cross/RSPCA for a long while (mainly window shopping dogs wishing I could have one if I'm honest). I'm in no position to get one as of yet and probably won't be for a long while but that doesn't stop me contemplating the whatifs. I was wondering how strict they were with families who work full time. I worry a lot that I might only be able to get a dog when I'm old and grey. A lot of things you hear basically say that families who have someone home all day should get a dog and those that don't are irresponsible.

I was wondering what Dogs Trust's policy is on this. Surely being a charity they can't really afford to be too picky with homes for their dogs right? I am basically a dog person without a dog. But I worry whether getting one would just be fulfilling my own selfishness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scribbled)
    I'm not really answering in a way you were hoping but......

I would love a dog and have thought about using Dogs Trust/Blue Cross/RSPCA for a long while (mainly window shopping dogs wishing I could have one if I'm honest). I'm in no position to get one as of yet and probably won't be for a long while but that doesn't stop me contemplating the whatifs. I was wondering how strict they were with families who work full time. I worry a lot that I might only be able to get a dog when I'm old and grey. A lot of things you hear basically say that families who have someone home all day should get a dog and those that don't are irresponsible.

I was wondering what Dogs Trust's policy is on this. Surely being a charity they can't really afford to be too picky with homes for their dogs right? I am basically a dog person without a dog. But I worry whether getting one would just be fulfilling my own selfishness.
    I think it would be fine as long as you can provide the care needed. The family who live opposite have just got a Labrador puppy which is nuts but they leave it at home all day. If all dog owners had someone at home then there wouldn't be many dog owners. What dog are you think of getting?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattBerry96)
    I think it would be fine as long as you can provide the care needed. The family who live opposite have just got a Labrador puppy which is nuts but they leave it at home all day. If all dog owners had someone at home then there wouldn't be many dog owners. What dog are you think of getting?
    I have my eye on Leonbergers/Bernese Mountain dogs if I were to buy one. But I keep an open mind for rescues. I worked for a day in a rescue and despite not particularly liking them before there was a gorgeous English bull terrier who just wanted a cuddle who melted my heart, as well as a 6month Dobey who was adorable. When it comes to picking a dog from a dog home I would much rather go in and say to the carers, this is my life point me in the direction of the suitable dogsand pick one of those rather than going, choosing one finding out it is too active or too attached to its owners for my lifestyle and having to choose another. When these places put "needs an active home" on their website. I don't actually know what that means. It could be anything from willing to give a dog 1-2hrs walk a day with the addition of agility class or having to give this dog a good 2hrs run and a full 7kg hike on the weekends. :P
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Scribbled)
    I was wondering how strict they were with families who work full time. I worry a lot that I might only be able to get a dog when I'm old and grey. A lot of things you hear basically say that families who have someone home all day should get a dog and those that don't are irresponsible.
    I am not sure about Dogs Trust, but we have an adopted dog. When we were looking at rescues, a lot of them would not rehome if there is no one at home for longer than 4 hours, especially puppies and younger dogs. We had a bit of difficult getting an older, independent dog due to my mum working full time (but able to walk it at lunchtime), but we did manage to in the end. Others refused us so policies vary. If you live in rented accommodation you must provide proof that you landlord allows dogs, and some rescues won't rehome certain larger/active breeds to flats / homes without a secure garden. Some won't rehome if you are pregnant at the time, or so I have heard.

Rescues can indeed be picky; some of the dogs have troubled pasts, separation anxiety, are highly active etc. so they won't give out dogs to anyone, unlike a breeder. Indeed it's much better to get a dog from a breeder but it's far more rewarding to get one from a rescue and save its life

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.