Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone i just needed some advice on my applying to US uni's.I am currently studying at AS level and in my modular exams recieved.A psychology at 100UMS,A 88UMS for economics,A 98UMS for government and politics and plan to take History this may/june session.However my O'level grades were not so good as i recieved 1A,3B,4C.I also take many extra-curriculars and am giving 3 SAT subject tests along with SAT 1.The only hinderance i face in my prospect of applying and attending an ivy league uni is my O'level grades.Could anyone please tell me how to make up for this through other tests etc before the jan 2014 deadline ? or do US unis take A'levels as the only and better indicator in terms of my Application ?

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely ace the SATs and application essays and you're in for a good shot. Although do remember that your chances are extremely low - those who get in really are exceptional students.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks but couldnt i make up for it with takng 2AP tests and some etc SAT'S ?

ReputationRep:
    Well yes I guess, if you can do extremely well in them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zac.351)
    Thanks but couldnt i make up for it with takng 2AP tests and some etc SAT'S ?
    If you are going to do AP tests then you should do them in subjects that are different form your a levels as they would be at the same level and practically covering most of the same thing.

Where would you be planning on taking the AP exams? i think you will find it hard to find an exam centre in the UK that take AP students, or do you already know somewhere you can do them?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about the APs too much, though I guess they could help a little - the most important things are the A Levels and SATs. You need to do spectacularly well in both of them to have a shot at Ivies. However, as I always say, you should really really consider applying to other unis in America. There are many great non-Ivy unis in ths US where you will have just as good an education (if not better), but the admission rates are much less challenging. Check the reviews here for some ideas.

ReputationRep:
    There is an American school in London that offers them

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for the link and yes i will be trying to apply to non-ivies aswell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Wallis)
    I wouldn't worry about the APs too much, though I guess they could help a little - the most important things are the A Levels and SATs. You need to do spectacularly well in both of them to have a shot at Ivies. However, as I always say, you should really really consider applying to other unis in America. There are many great non-Ivy unis in ths US where you will have just as good an education (if not better), but the admission rates are much less challenging. Check the reviews here for some ideas.
    Just out if curiosity as I'm not that knowledgable, what decent non-Ivy's are there?

ReputationRep:
    There are quite alot such as princeton,columbia,yale,harvard and they just go on

ReputationRep:
    All those are actually Ivies. Good non Ivies include

University of Chicago, UCLA, Stanford, UC Berkley, Tufts, Johns Hopkins, Georgetown, Duke, Rice, Emory, Tulane, Northwestern, Northeastern, UNorth Carolina, Washington (St Louis), UWashington (Seattle), Pomona (and rest of Claremont), UTexas (Austin), UKansa, UFlorida, UMiami, U Georgia, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Middlebury, Reed, Lewis and Clarke, Skidmore, Swarthmore, Amherst, Williams, Sarah Lawrence, Trinity, Vanderbuilt, Vassar, George Washington, American and hundreds more.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. If only I had the extra-curriculars

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.