Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Women shaving - When did it start? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CodeJack)
    and to this, hairless men don't look feminine. Kai Greene hardly looks like a woman just because he shaves for bodybuilding.
    yeah he kinda does, especially all shiny like that. his body looks like something out of a cartoon too, not "manly".

ReputationRep:
    Hair is a masculine trait.

No man wants a masculine woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissNoface)
    Well this youthfulness is between the ages of 0-12.
    So possibly not attractive to men (excluding men with pedophilic tenancies)
    sorry but this whole "prepubescent girl" argument is starting to annoy me. you cannot look like a prepube girl when you have boobs and wide hips. those are more of an important indicator of puberty. also if you are in a relationship with an adult woman, it is quite obvious she is not prepubescent, since she is not sitting in a sand pit playing with playdoh.

i think it is REALLY unfair to insinuate that men who prefer clean shaven are closet paedophiles. anway even if they DO have what you call "paedophilic tendencies"... so what? they are not going out raping kids, they are just finding "immature traits" of fully grown women attractive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    sorry but this whole "prepubescent girl" argument is starting to annoy me. you cannot look like a prepube girl when you have boobs and wide hips. those are more of an important indicator of puberty. also if you are in a relationship with an adult woman, it is quite obvious she is not prepubescent, since she is not sitting in a sand pit playing with playdoh.

i think it is REALLY unfair to insinuate that men who prefer clean shaven are closet paedophiles. anway even if they DO have what you call "paedophilic tendencies"... so what? they are not going out raping kids, they are just finding "immature traits" of fully grown women attractive.
    Thank you. You said it much better than I did earlier.

ReputationRep:
    yeah he kinda does, especially all shiny like that. his body looks like something out of a cartoon too, not "manly".
    hm I wouldnt say 300lbs or muscle and extremely vascular is feminine.

ReputationRep:
    either completely smooth (impossible for me with such a sexy grow rate) or looovely soft fuzz, yuuummies
    :yep:

Tidy soft welcoming fuzz is fine, angry unwelcoming beaver is not. Though the angry beaver is cool if she doesn't want the T.

ReputationRep:
    Why when things got shorter? Why does that lead to shaving? Is it too sexual to be seen?
    I think actually it might have to do with guys being into the whole 'child' factor. Not in a perverted way! Just like, some guys prefer girls with more baby faces, smaller features, etc. It's the whole having to take care of the girl... So I think not having hair anywhere makes you appear more 'childlike' and thus more 'vulnerable'. Gosh, that sounds incredibly sexist and patronizing and condescending. But, at least that's why I think guys like it.

ReputationRep:

i think it is REALLY unfair to insinuate that men who prefer clean shaven are closet pedophiles. anyway even if they DO have what you call "paedophilic tendencies"... so what? they are not going out raping kids, they are just finding "immature traits" of fully grown women attractive.
    The whole point of this thread was to find out why it started and when we deviated from this biological 'accessory'.

But hair logically should be an indicator for womanliness -
    and with what I put I was responding to someone who said it was an indicator of manliness. I was simply explaining how hairlessness is more likely to indicate immaturity as naturally women are hairy.

However tbh some women are naturally hairy some are not. Some men are naturally hairy some are not.

Like my hairless boyfriend, just no hair at all! He only has his blonde afro on his head. Plus barley any eyes brows

So why are some people born to be naturally 'unclean'.
    Is it even unclean to be hairy, do people shower?
    Why would we only want immature aspects about women. Why not men too.

Pedophiles don't necessarily rape children.
    Pedophiles have the urge to have sexual relationships with children, not all go out and become abusive people.

ReputationRep:
    The whole point of this thread was to find out why it started and when we deviated from this biological 'accessory'.

But hair logically should be an indicator for womanliness -
    and with what I put I was responding to someone who said it was an indicator of manliness. I was simply explaining how hairlessness is more likely to indicate immaturity as naturally women are hairy.

However tbh some women are naturally hairy some are not. Some men are naturally hairy some are not.

Like my hairless boyfriend, just no hair at all! He only has his blonde afro on his head. Plus barley any eyes brows

So why are some people born to be naturally 'unclean'.
    Is it even unclean to be hairy, do people shower?
    Why would we only want immature aspects about women. Why not men too.

Pedophiles don't necessarily rape children.
    Pedophiles have the urge to have sexual relationships with children, not all go out and become abusive people.
    which was exactly my point. i think it is unfair of you to be so condeming of people who like completely shaved down below, as being a paedophile is taboo and you used it negative way. to completely belittle a personal preference in such a way is not fair and also small minded. would you think it fair to say a man with a preference of small breasts has "paedophilic tendencies"?

if a person with a preference for shaved is SOMEHOW linked to being a padeophile (which is what you are insinuating and what i fail to see), surely it is better they go out and ask their partner to get a brazillian rather than becoming a child molestor? so what they are attracted to kids, as long as they are not acting on those attractions in a harmful way.

i really did not see the point in your likening men who prefer a girl with a brazillian to paedophiles. it was scaremongering, exaggerated and intolerant.

ReputationRep:
    which was exactly my point. i think it is unfair of you to be so condeming of people who like completely shaved down below, as being a paedophile is taboo and you used it negative way. to completely belittle a personal preference in such a way is not fair and also small minded. would you think it fair to say a man with a preference of small breasts has "paedophilic tendencies"?

if a person with a preference for shaved is SOMEHOW linked to being a padeophile (which is what you are insinuating and what i fail to see), surely it is better they go out and ask their partner to get a brazillian rather than becoming a child molestor? so what they are attracted to kids, as long as they are not acting on those attractions in a harmful way.

i really did not see the point in your likening men who prefer a girl with a brazillian to paedophiles. it was scaremongering, exaggerated and intolerant.
    I am not.
    I am wanting to know why. People can do what they like, I just want to know why.
    Because it is not a natural occurrence that men or women like it shaven it is something which is in fashion at the moment in time as this fluctuates.
    Don't get too hung up on the pedophile thing. It sounds scary but all I meant was a preference to immature aspects. Which does seem odd when it comes to sexual attraction as surely this is not suppose to merge.
    However someone has mentioned as perhaps in current times an immature women can show more innocent/vulnerable aspects. Which men maybe currently desire.
    Plus pedophile shouldn't be scary, it is when people are abusive.

So do women get a Brazilian when they want it or are you suggesting that their partner should also request to get a Brazilian.
    Is this personal preference or something a women should do for their partner.
    I understand if we are getting all 'it is clean' but then should I ask my boyfriend (if he was hairy ) to get a Brazilian because this sounds uncommon.

Is it only unclean to be hairy for women?

ReputationRep:
    I am not.
    I am wanting to know why. People can do what they like, I just want to know why.
    Because it is not a natural occurrence that men or women like it shaven it is something which is in fashion at the moment in time as this fluctuates.
    Don't get too hung up on the pedophile thing. It sounds scary but all I meant was a preference to immature aspects. Which does seem odd when it comes to sexual attraction as surely this is not suppose to merge.
    However someone has mentioned as perhaps in current times an immature women can show more innocent/vulnerable aspects. Which men maybe currently desire.
    Plus pedophile shouldn't be scary, it is when people are abusive.

So do women get a Brazilian when they want it or are you suggesting that their partner should also request to get a Brazilian.
    Is this personal preference or something a women should do for their partner.
    I understand if we are getting all 'it is clean' but then should I ask my boyfriend (if he was hairy ) to get a Brazilian because this sounds uncommon.

Is it only unclean to be hairy for women?
    If women don't like men with hairy chests/backs does that mean they have immature paedophile blah blah blah vulnerable/innocent desires?

It's freakin pubic hair, get over yourself :rolleyes: Just because your boyfriend likes your hairy bush doesn't make him any more "normal", you'll find that 90% of men's penises will shrivel at the sight of it tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ndClass)
    If women don't like men with hairy chests/backs does that mean they have immature paedophile blah blah blah vulnerable/innocent desires?

It's freakin pubic hair, get over yourself :rolleyes:
    Why should I?
    If you are not curious then go away.
    I am curious.

Tbh hair is a big part of life as every morning in the shower you remove it all.
    Why is this?
    Why has this changed from previous times.
    It is interesting.

Let me speculate.

ReputationRep:
    Why should I?
    I am curious.

Tbh hair is a big part of life as every morning in the shower you remove it all.
    Why is this?
    It is interesting.

Let me speculate.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

It's freakin pubic hair, get over yourself :rolleyes: Just because your boyfriend likes your hairy bush doesn't make him any more "normal", you'll find that 90% of men's penises will shrivel at the sight of it tbh
    When did I say it was more normal??????
    Obviously isn't more normal by what I have heard on here.
    Why do these penises shrivel? - Oh guess what that is what we are discussing

This is not saying what is right or wrong, just why.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:
    Nice.
    Well I hope you are not offended by anything - you usually have interesting input on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NadezhdaK)
    I was surprised to find a quote from Ancient Rome which advised men to grow their arm pit hair long to increase masculinity. Men naturally have more hair and women less, so I suppose women shaving is empathesis on that sense of femininity. Then I suppose it gradually got accepted in Western society, as many things do. The genital hair thing... Well, I think that's since oral sex got more common place -- pushed in the 80s, I believe, after fear of STDs got very big.

Society is all about changing connotations. We have natural odor which was initially to attract the opposite sex yet it became associated with bad hygiene so now has the opposite effect. Also, body hair has never served the purpose of making us more attractive -- it just has other practical uses. Remember not only women shave their hair. For a lot of males, it's seen as somehow unprofessional to not shave their face.

And the argument about fertility... Well, I think body shape is the most obvious indicator of that.

Personally I believe we should feel more free to grow our hair! Freedom is always very good. Especially since my body hair doesn't hurt anybody and I was born with it.
    Good post, the thing is as you said, women being hairy is rather masculine, I know there are some women think it is very feminine not to shave their arm pits, there call feminists, but to a lot of people in general seeing a woman in a short sleeveless tank top or dress LOOKS masculine and unhygienic. A good example of that was my wife who never shaved or waxed her arm pit ever, she liked going around in sleeveless clothes, however she was the most clean and hygienic person I ever knew, bathed and showered every day, it just might to some people look dirty, but these ladies who like to be natural and not shave are just as clean as everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    That cracked article just shows how susceptible we humans are to a good piece of advertising.

ReputationRep:
    Women shaving is an ancient concept.

ReputationRep:
    Why should I?
    I am curious.

Why is this?
    It is interesting.

Let me speculate.
    Because aesthetics are evil, and worse than the devil himself?

In the 19th century, women wore long clothes. today as many women were short clothes, hair on the legs looks bad.

Throughout history there have been aesthetic trends, I don't see the wrong in it.

ReputationRep:

I'm surprised to find myself agreeing with you for once.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.