Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Why should society accept straight people? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    Depending on how you define instinctive, such behaviors do not have to be one's you are born with. While it is (most likely) true that homosexuality is something that develops, that does not mean it is not instinctive for the person in question.
    And why is it most likely true that homosexuality develops and not heterosexuality Back that up now.

You are asking them to answer a question which they never claimed to know the answer to. For example, you can know that genetics plays a role in the development of someone's sexuality, without having to know the specific genes involved. The same applies to environmental factors.
    He did claim to know, he IT IS environmental. So if you KNOW it is environmental tell me the environment that makes you gay.

The scientific conclusion is that it is a mixture not gay is learnt and straight is born with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rim991)
    No you dont but the gay or unstraight couple would still need a donor to reproduce.
    Duh. What is it state the obvious day?

Two gay couples cant reproduce on their own
    If one is lesbian and the other is gay yes they can.

. Anyways its upp to everyone to choose how they want to live life and deal with the consequenses . What are you going to gain by attacking peopels lifestyles is it really going to change anything?
    You clearly don't understand a parody.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Interactiveapple)
    First of all, I am not making this thread to attack anyone; It's just a thought that I'd like to share. A thought that propagates the notion of ostracizing groups in society, but of course no attack.

Why should Society accept Straight people when there is absolutely no scientific evidence that proves people are born Straight?

If you're someone that still wants to argue that people are born attracted to the opposite sex, despite there being no conclusive scientific evidence then, do you have a problem with people practicing incest? After all, people who practice incest also claim that they are biologically attracted to each other and they aren't doing anything unnatural.

Is there not a double standard here?

Maybe this is why incest is currently Legal in:

Portugal,Russia,Netherlands,Indi a,China,Turkey,Ivory Coast and just recently made illegal in France

What are your thoughts on this?

I'd also like to ask at this point what makes this alleged "student" forum any different from stormfront or the westboro bapist church at this point? It's just troll/hate thread about feminism/women after troll/hate thread about homosexuals, it is boring and sad.

:troll: Just copied the other thread except that this one is pointless as most people are straight, and you can't compare gays to left handed people as left handed people don't prance around in pink and moan for more "rights".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    I feel I have to repeat my self when you keep asking questions that require the same response.

In my opinion:

Heterosexual = instinctive.

Homosexual - learned / not instinctive.

You seem to be responding aggressively? I don't how you've interacted with life as I don't know in the slightest who you are. I'm just suggesting that it is a learned behaviour given the evidence that what? 90% maybe? Maybe more of the worlds population is heterosexual and throughout the ages, even in the ages before intelligence man instinctively mated heterosexually.

That's just the logical answer.
    Firstly, being homosexual isn't a behaviour. Performing homosexual acts is.

Even if 90% of world (don't know the exact percentage, could be more, could be less) is straight, that is not evidence that it is learned. In the same way that having ginger hair isn't learned. I'm not saying it is as rigid as that and there are likely some environmental factors in whether someone is gay, bisexual or straight. These factors include things before birth, such as hormone exposure in the womb during foetal development. However, it's widely accepted in the scientific community that there are also genetic factors in your sexual orientation. If I didn't have 8000 words to write (currently procrastinating and am about to get to psych project), I could cite you numerous peer-reviewed papers showing this. I'll post one quick one - http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...49763405000321 To view the paper for free, you'll need to sign in through athens or something. This talks about some genetic factors and some environmental factors (including the pre-birth exposure to hormones).

ReputationRep:
    And why is it most likely true that homosexuality develops and not heterosexuality Back that up now.
    I never claimed that. Heterosexuality is developed as well.

He did claim to know, he IT IS environmental. So if you KNOW it is environmental tell me the environment that makes you gay.
    Again not necessarily. To use the genetic argument, you can know something is caused by inherited mutations, without knowing which mutations.

The scientific conclusion is that it is a mixture not gay is learnt and straight is born with.
    Exactly. Sexuality i general is something that develops. What it develops into is a blend of genetic and non-genetic factors.

ReputationRep:

Again not necessarily. To use the genetic argument, you can know something is caused by inherited mutations, without knowing which mutations.
    Okay so how does he know it is 100% environmental?

ReputationRep:
    Okay so how does he know it is 100% environmental?
    I don't know. But again, environmental factors in general are complex, so to ask someone to list environmental causes is ludicrous.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. But again, environmental factors in general are complex, so to ask someone to list environmental causes is ludicrous.
    But if you are so sure it is learnt surely you must have some proof and an idea of how it is learnt? That isn't ludicrous.

ReputationRep:
    straight people are normal...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jkpmc)
    straight people are normal...
    Joseph Fritzel is normal?

ReputationRep:
    Its the norm.
    The creator; 'God' created man and woman to be together and have children etc. Can you see this occurring in a same sex relationship? (adoption/fostering not included)
    Also, incest doesn't really have much to do with this apart from it being sick because its a family member, having the same blood and all.:confused:

ReputationRep:
    First of all, I am not making this thread to attack anyonewell it seems that way; It's just a thought that I'd like to share. A thought that propagates the notion of ostracizing groups in society, but of course no attack.

Why should Society accept Straight people when there is absolutely no scientific evidence that proves people are born Straight? Because everyone is equal, it isn't acceptable to descriminate anyone on the basis of sexual orientation, only on personal merit.

If you're someone that still wants to argue that people are born attracted to the opposite sexsome people are born attracted to their the opposite sex, others to their own, it doesn't really matter what you sexual orientation is anyway, so why bring this up?, despite there being no conclusive scientific evidence thenDo you really need science to explain why you love someone? Really?, do you have a problem with people practicing incest?not really but it is a bit distgusting, and i'd rather them keep it to themselves After all, people who practice incest also claim that they are biologically attracted to each other and they aren't doing anything unnatural.

Is there not a double standard here?

Maybe this is why incest is currently Legal in:

Portugal,Russia,Netherlands,Indi a,China,Turkey,Ivory Coast and just recently made illegal in France

What are your thoughts on this?

I'd also like to ask at this point what makes this alleged "student" forum any different from stormfront or the westboro bapist church at this point? It's just troll/hate thread about feminism/women after troll/hate thread about homosexuals, it is boring and sad. A bit like how you are attacking straights?

Anyway, that was the most stupidist thing I have ever read.

ReputationRep:
    straight people (except Joseph Fritzel) are normal...

ReputationRep:
    The guy didn't even say that?

ReputationRep:
    But if you are so sure it is learnt surely you must have some proof and an idea of how it is learnt?
    Possibly, I don't know what their reasoning is.

But for example, they may have come across numerous studies linking environmental factors to homosexuality. But considering how complex environmental factors are, listing them (assuming they know all of them) would do no good. And demanding to know what environmental factors would turn you gay is also doing no good, as it's not as simple as that.

The problem isn't with his claim that homosexuality is developed through environmental factors, its why heterosexuality isnt subject to the same. And also whether he denies genetic factors (which im not sure whether they did or not).

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why people love to debate over homosexuality.

Why do you care what people do with their genitalia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgemuffins)
    I don't understand why people love to debate over homosexuality.

Why do you care what people do with their genitalia?
    Because strongly minded homosexuals always seem to think they have to push the homo agenda forcibly for some reason, as if by forcing their opinions constantly that one day those of us that don't agree are all going to waken up and realise they were right all along.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ufo2012)
    Because strongly minded homosexuals always seem to think they have to push the homo agenda forcibly for some reason, as if by forcing their opinions constantly that one day those of us that don't agree are all going to waken up and realise they were right all along.
    But the majority of the threads are from straight people about gay people and if they deserve basic equal rights and acceptance. Not accept me or die, like you just made up.

Agree with what you want, what does that even mean? Think the sky is green for all I care, but if you are going to oppose people's rights, those people are going to have a problem with you and rightfully so.

And let's not deny reality straight people have FORCED way more on homosexuals then they have ever forced on you. Homosexual agenda? You mean wanting to be treated well and have equal rights? How dare they.

When did homosexuals bully straights at school, protest straights funerals, try to take away straight rights, have the biggest religion in the world condemn straights, give straights the death penalty? Yet you have the sheer ignorance to claim homosexuals are forcing things on straights? Get a grip, you are laughable.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly, I don't know what their reasoning is.
    So now it has gone from ludicrous to possibly.:rolleyes:

But for example, they may have come across numerous studies linking environmental factors to homosexuality. But considering how complex environmental factors are, listing them (assuming they know all of them) would do no good.
    It would give an example to what the hell they are talking about. Tell me how you determined learning something is environmental without knowing what kind of environment is needed. Surely it is known by testing different people ENVIRONMENTS. :rolleyes:

And demanding to know what environmental factors would turn you gay is also doing no good, as it's not as simple as that.
    It doesn't god damn matter if you think it is doing good, the burden of proof is on him which will be pushed and questioned. Do not tell me what I can question when you have no good reason to.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one still caught up over how OP literally quoted and argued with their own post?

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.