Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Really good GCSEs but really struggling with AS levels... help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm studying for my AS levels at the moment and am really struggling. I really really hope this doesn't sound boastful, it's certainly not meant to, but I was really pleased with my GCSE results - 11A*s, and I guess my mistake was thinking that this meant that I would do well at A level as well. Now I just feel like no matter how hard I try, I'm never going to be able to equal those results in terms of my AS grades, and that I'm letting everyone down because of it. I recently got predicted ABBC and although I realise that these are not bad grades in the slightest, I think I must have got less intelligent or something! It's not like I've gone off the rails this year at all, so I'm genuinely not sure what's going wrong

Anyway, I was just looking for some study tips please. My subjects are biology, chemistry, maths and english lit. I'm struggling most with biology: no matter how much I revise for tests, I can never seem to get much higher than 70%, and I just can't get my head around some of the content, even using a revision guide. Advice would be much appreciated, and just to reiterate, I'm really not trying to brag about my GCSEs - I find them embarrassing more than anything now that I'm doubting whether I'll even be able to achieve my predicted grades! So so worried abut the exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iridescence.)
    Hi everyone,

I'm studying for my AS levels at the moment and am really struggling. I really really hope this doesn't sound boastful, it's certainly not meant to, but I was really pleased with my GCSE results - 11A*s, and I guess my mistake was thinking that this meant that I would do well at A level as well. Now I just feel like no matter how hard I try, I'm never going to be able to equal those results in terms of my AS grades, and that I'm letting everyone down because of it. I recently got predicted ABBC and although I realise that these are not bad grades in the slightest, I think I must have got less intelligent or something! It's not like I've gone off the rails this year at all, so I'm genuinely not sure what's going wrong

Anyway, I was just looking for some study tips please. My subjects are biology, chemistry, maths and english lit. I'm struggling most with biology: no matter how much I revise for tests, I can never seem to get much higher than 70%, and I just can't get my head around some of the content, even using a revision guide. Advice would be much appreciated, and just to reiterate, I'm really not trying to brag about my GCSEs - I find them embarrassing more than anything now that I'm doubting whether I'll even be able to achieve my predicted grades! So so worried abut the exams
    Aww I feel bad for you! I'm kinda in the same position as I did well in my GCSEs but now it feels like the pressure has gone up and it's getting much harder just don't think about your predicted grades as they don't help at all, they're not giving you the boost you need! You did amazing in your exams and you should have the same confidence that you'll do the same this year!
    My advice to you for your subjects (I do three of the same) is:
    -maths - past papers help, the questions in the exercise books do nothing, they don't give the proper feel of exam questions. Also try Solomon papers as they're really hard and give more brain work
    -biology - all I do is write short notes and rewrite them again until it stays in my head. It's quite tricky considering how there's a lot of content but just use the specification and tick off everything you know so you'll feel more confident once you enter the exam past papers are obviously good but also just learn model answers too, you'll find it much easier
    -chemistry is pretty much the same as biology except you don't need to learn as much content which you already know, just practise questions and make sure you understand how to form equations, they're essential. Again, past papers are the key

I'm not sure for English lit but I'm sure just going over your work and planning essays might work? It depends on what you're doing

Hope I helped in some way! Don't panic otherwise you'll end up doing worse! Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have the same issue with my English lit. I've been revising for months yet not going anywhere. However, past papers are what will get you grades, unfortunately for subjects like English there is no right or wrong answer so I can need assess if I'm on the right lines. It sucks and a-levels are stressful! I guess you can only do your best and at A-level your best may not always seem good, especially compared to GCSE's but its conspicuous you are not dumb so don't let it knock your confidence cause that does more damage then anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry. GCSEs are exams that can be passed without revising. I barely went to school until the last few months of GCSE year and only did a couple hours revision the night before/morning of the exams yet passed them all.

So if you did any form of revision regardless of how unefficent your style was, you could have got great grades.

I'm not saying this is the case with you, but you might want to question the revision strategy. How often do you take breaks? Are you using colour. How many times would you go over a topic in a week/month etc. All these points are key to remembering things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smuu)
    Aww I feel bad for you! I'm kinda in the same position as I did well in my GCSEs but now it feels like the pressure has gone up and it's getting much harder just don't think about your predicted grades as they don't help at all, they're not giving you the boost you need! You did amazing in your exams and you should have the same confidence that you'll do the same this year!
    My advice to you for your subjects (I do three of the same) is:
    -maths - past papers help, the questions in the exercise books do nothing, they don't give the proper feel of exam questions. Also try Solomon papers as they're really hard and give more brain work
    -biology - all I do is write short notes and rewrite them again until it stays in my head. It's quite tricky considering how there's a lot of content but just use the specification and tick off everything you know so you'll feel more confident once you enter the exam past papers are obviously good but also just learn model answers too, you'll find it much easier
    -chemistry is pretty much the same as biology except you don't need to learn as much content which you already know, just practise questions and make sure you understand how to form equations, they're essential. Again, past papers are the key

I'm not sure for English lit but I'm sure just going over your work and planning essays might work? It depends on what you're doing

Hope I helped in some way! Don't panic otherwise you'll end up doing worse! Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know it's been ages but I just wanted to say thank you very much for your help and support, it really helped a lot. I got 4 As in the end so I think I was probably panicking over nothing but I definitely agree that past papers and writing out my notes an insane amount of times were the key!

ReputationRep:
    Omg..........
    You just made me nervous for my biology a level I'm taking this September.

I got 4 A*'s for science in gcse. And if you have 11 a*'s and are struggling with biology. Then god help me..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iWoof)
    Omg..........

I got 4 A*'s for science in gcse. And if you have 11 a*'s and are struggling with biology. Then god help me..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I only got 2 A*s at GCSE but I managed to get an A in AS chemistry. It's not biology, but my peers tell me chemistry is harder.

You honestly don't have to worry. The first few weeks of AS will ease you in. It will be harder, but not that much. Just make sure you do plenty of revision before and during the exam period and you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you struggling due to the lack of knowledge of the content or underdeveloped exam technique? If it is the latter I suggest you finish all of the past papers, mark them and learn all the answers from the mark schemes. Reading the examiner reports may also be useful to avoid common pitfalls. During the exam understand what is being asked in the question andmake sure you understand what points and how many points you need to include in the answers to the questions. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iWoof)
    Omg..........

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hahaha. I got 4A*'s at GCSE'S, done all science A-levels and maths and got 2A*'s and 2A's. So don't worry. You just need to put in some work for the A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben Kenobi)
    Hahaha. I got 4A*'s at GCSE'S, done all science A-levels and maths and got 2A*'s and 2A's. So don't worry. You just need to put in some work for the A-Levels.
    Wow nice!
    Thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.