Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm failing maths, currently at a U/E grade.
    I'm doing C1, C2 and S1 (edexcel) this May.

Long story short, I haven't done much work for maths and I've generally been lazy about it.

I really want an A grade for AS maths. Do you think 7 weeks is enough time to achieve an A grade? I'm planning on revising maths 2hours on the weekdays and at least 3 hours on saturday and sunday.
    I also have a tutor for C1 and he's sure he can help me achieve an A for C1...

To those who have/doing well in maths, how do you revise maths?!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Good grief. You will need to work your backside off. If you didn't care before now, chances are you won't have the necessary self-motivation to improve this much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by failing.maths)
    Hi

Long story short, I haven't done much work for maths and I've generally been lazy about it.

I really want an A grade for AS maths. Do you think 7 weeks is enough time to achieve an A grade? I'm planning on revising maths 2hours on the weekdays and at least 3 hours on saturday and sunday.

Practice, naow. I did C1 in January and got the other two in June for edexcel, being revising since September, let this be of warning, do not try the same next year and work your arse off now.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Understand it ALL. Do as many questions as possible. Do ALL past papers and Solomon ones. That's what I did and I'm timing for an A in C1.
    Goo luck, it's not impossible.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

C1 and C2 aren't so bad revision wise, you just need to be able to understand the maths - S1 however is a little tedious and requires more time learning, though is not especially challenging.

ReputationRep:
    It's do able... what are you doing now? On TSR?

GET OFF IT and do the surds chapter of C1 have it done by the end of tonight!

Then tomorrow wake up early and get indices done ... ask for help on here if necessary!

I was awful at maths when I started learning it in January. I have came on leaps and bounds since then...It's all about work ethic

There's plenty of time, it's just a matter of utilizing that time in the best possible way. I would suggesting getting up at 8am and work on maths until about 12/1ish and then do your other subjects until about 6, then spend the rest of the evening on Maths..

It's doable, the only thing that'll prevent you getting that A is yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses everybody.

I can't believe how quick time has gone by!
    I'm making a timetable and I'm going to utilize my frees and time more efficiently now.

I have already spent a few hours doing maths tonight and I feel slightly confident with the chapters I have covered.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

2 hours a day isn't much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GPODT)
    2 hours a day isn't much.
    I mean 2 hours on the week days.
    My college doesn't get study leave. :/
    I'll be using my frees and lunch times for maths revision too.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hi

Despite being in my first year of uni maths, I do a bit of tution for A-level students. To them, I always emphasise the need to ask as many questions as they like. So I'd advise you not to hold back (possibly out of embarrassment); instead, grill your tutor if necessary

7 weeks is enough. You just need to get your priorities in order. One of my mates struggled a bit and didn't like doing maths much (he was 'lazy' about it too). With hard work and perseverance, however, he secured a grade A. I must say that his revision timetable was extraordinarily maths-focused.

There are 2 kinds: those who enjoy the subject and those who have to work hard. However, with the necessary effort from the latter, these 2 kinds are indistinguishable on paper.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    how have they gone? i have 100% U graded :/

ReputationRep:
    If you think 7 weeks is too short to learn C1, you're going to die at uni. There's no calculators allowed in uni and 7 weeks to study for an exam there is considered a godsend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zilch)
    If you think 7 weeks is too short to learn C1, you're going to die at uni. There's no calculators allowed in uni and 7 weeks to study for an exam there is considered a godsend.
    No calculators at uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElChapo)
    No calculators at uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Here in North America, no calculators allowed. I hate the calculations more than the actual questions in my calculus and algebra exams lol. I found it hell after coming from A Levels where I pretty much used a calc for everything but hey you get used it as time passes.

Is it not the same in England?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Lozspoon)
    how have they gone? i have 100% U graded :/
    Do you know that for certain - have you sat all of the exams already?

(Original post by Zilch)
    Here in North America, no calculators allowed. I hate the calculations more than the actual questions in my calculus and algebra exams lol. I found it hell after coming from A Levels where I pretty much used a calc for everything but hey you get used it as time passes.

Is it not the same in England?
    Calculators are typically allowed in UK uni courses, but they're not much help for a Maths degree - a calculator won't help you prove the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, or find the splitting field of a polynomial, or identify the kernel of a homomorphism!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

what grade did you get? i got a U overall haha

ReputationRep:
    I want to know this as well

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.