Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've got my biology isa tomorrow and i think they might ask about standard deviation. I know what it is but i cant explain it in short. Could someone give me a concise definition that is sure to get me the marks?
    Thanks, Peter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by looloo4)
    Hi,
    I've got my biology isa tomorrow and i think they might ask about standard deviation. I know what it is but i cant explain it in short. Could someone give me a concise definition that is sure to get me the marks?
    Thanks, Peter
    A measurement taken to determine how spread a given set of data is? I don't know if that would seem correct but its what my teacher told me for S1.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Thanks, Peter
    The standard deviation is a measure of spread - it is meant to be the mean difference of each individual value from the mean value itself.
    (For reasons of a mathematical nature, it isn't actually but for the purposes of biology ISAs its fine )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    The standard deviation is a measure of spread - it is meant to be the mean difference of each individual value from the mean value itself.
    (For reasons of a mathematical nature, it isn't actually but for the purposes of biology ISAs its fine )
    Seems like a more valid definition then mine, would mine be too vague?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    Seems like a more valid definition then mine, would mine be too vague?
    Probably not but the OP asked for an exact definition
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Our teacher defines SD as variation about the mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    Probably not but the OP asked for an exact definition
    Ah fair do's, cheers for that it could possibly come up in my S1 exam by pure chance

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. The definition I think my teacher said is "the spread about the mean" would I get the marks for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    Ah fair do's, cheers for that it could possibly come up in my S1 exam by pure chance
    Np - though I've never seen it in a past paper.

Thanks. The definition I think my teacher said is "the spread about the mean" would I get the marks for this?
    Probably.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.