Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, sorry about this.

My name is Harry, i'm 17 and I live in London.

I've applied to study Politics & International Relations at Undergraduate level, and i'm predicted 3 As at A Level. These are the offers i'm currently considering:

University of St. Andrews: AAA
    Lancaster University: AAB
    University of York: AAB
    Loughborough University: ABB

Essentially, i'm stuck between York and St. Andrews as my first choice.

I've visited York, and quite liked it, but due to the distance i'm yet to visit St. Andrews. However, from lots and lots of googling as well as speaking to ex-students, i'm pretty sure i'd love it.

St. Andrews is, arguably, one of the best places in the world to study IR. It's much more prestigious so I feel like i'd be foolsih to turn it down.
    However, i'm not 100% sure i'd get AAA, it's a long way to travel, i've not visited it so there's a risk i'd hate it...

If anyone can advise me, it would be much appreciated.

TL;DR University of St. Andrews (AAA) or University of York (AAB)?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Read the course descriptions, including the detailed descriptions of the individual units/modules for each of the three years of the course, very carefully. Which one do you prefer? Which one will hold your interest for three years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Read the course descriptions, including the detailed descriptions of the individual units/modules for each of the three years of the course, very carefully. Which one do you prefer? Which one will hold your interest for three years?
    THIS. Absolutely this.

These two courses have similar names but in reality are very very different both in content and work loads. I did IR at undergrad at St Andrews, and I've just had a look at the Politics and IR degree structure at York and they are very different. St Andrews doesn't do politics, just IR (this does make a difference to what you will actually study), and you also have to take outside subjects in your first 2 years (of 4 - another key difference) - so a choice from history, economics, history of art, management, languages, philosophy, etc. And only in your last two years do you focus solely on IR. Also, the dissertation at York is between 8,000 and 10,000 words, but at St Andrews it's 15,000 words. One other thing to consider.

Go over the modules on offer and the degree structure very very closely. They are both great programs, but you do study some different things in different ways. So you need to get to grips with what your degree will actually be like.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.