Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Love Mechanics Watch

• View Poll Results: Which one are you?
    I believe love can be fully comprehended in terms of chemical processes, and I do not feel monogamy is right for me.
    0%
    I believe love can be fully comprehended in terms of chemical processes, and I feel monogamy is right for me.
    44.44%
    I believe there is "love beyond chemistry", and monogamy is right for me.
    44.44%
    I believe there is "love beyond chemistry", and monogamy is not right for me.
    11.11%

ReputationRep:
    I'm intrigued by what people who view love as purely chemical think about monogamy. If there is nothing more to it than "natural high", why do these people still opt for monogamy?

I'm genuinely looking for insight here!

ReputationRep:
    Because Monogamy has proved to be by and large a more stable soci-evolutionary construct , allows for better pack preservation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syrokal)
    Because Monogamy has proved to be by and large a more stable soci-evolutionary construct , allows for better pack preservation.
    But why not try to gradually evolve towards a society in which love can be shared among everyone at once? Or do you think our mental structure is just not too suited to polygamy? In which case, do you think people who tend to cheat wouldn't be happy in "open relationships"?

ReputationRep:
    This should probably be moved to Relationships

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    This should probably be moved to Relationships
    Actually, I think it should go to Philosophy. I had a more theistic approach in mind before I started writing, hence the confusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viriol)
    Actually, I think it should go to Philosophy. I had a more theistic approach in mind before I started writing, hence the confusion.
    Whichever the mighty mods decide.

ReputationRep:
    Whichever the mighty mods decide.
    When/how will they notice? And how can I highlight that this is not H&R material?

ReputationRep:
    When/how will they notice? And how can I highlight that this is not H&R material?
    You could report it.

ReputationRep:
    You could report it.
    Thanks! Done!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I hold a materialistic view of existence, so I think human experience is emergent from physical and chemical processes. I'm not sure these questions are particularly related, though - it's not as if I choose whether I prefer monogamy or polygamy - I only recognise which way my preference lies. In terms of sex, sure I would prefer multiple partners rather than one, but in terms of love, each person loved is done so at the expense of another. I would rather devote myself to one and her to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I hold a materialistic view of existence, so I think human experience is emergent from physical and chemical processes. I'm not sure these questions are particularly related, though - it's not as if I choose whether I prefer monogamy or polygamy - I only recognise which way my preference lies. In terms of sex, sure I would prefer multiple partners rather than one, but in terms of love, each person loved is done so at the expense of another. I would rather devote myself to one and her to me.
    So... you'd go for sexual polygamy and emotional monogamy? Or do you think the two are incompatibe for you?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    So... you'd go for sexual polygamy and emotional monogamy? Or do you think the two are incompatibe for you?
    Yes, that sounds about right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Yes, that sounds about right.
    Which one?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Which one?
    'Sexual polygamy' and 'emotional monogamy'.

ReputationRep:
    But why not try to gradually evolve towards a society in which love can be shared among everyone at once?
    Because you don't choose which way you evolve, evolution is structued by chance and which mutations seem to yeild more favourable traits for survivial.
    Or do you think our mental structure is just not too suited to polygamy? In which case, do you think people who tend to cheat wouldn't be happy in "open relationships"?
    I don't think theres a hard and fast rule.

ReputationRep:
    Because you don't choose which way you evolve, evolution is structued by chance and which mutations seem to yeild more favourable traits for survivial.
    The evolution I'm talking about is a psychological one, not biological. It's about mentality, and we have much control over that.

ReputationRep:
    The evolution I'm talking about is a psychological one, not biological. It's about mentality, and we have much control over that.
    Not nearly as much as you would think.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I see it as a purely chemical process. But I don't think that detracts from it's beauty. Emotions have the importance and wonder that you give them, they are given weight by you and your actions.

ReputationRep:
    Not nearly as much as you would think.
    And not nearly as little as you do.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I thought this was a thread for people who love mathematical mechanics...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.