Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did the nurse treat me appropriately? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, right so this post isn't a dig at medical professionals I just want to ask anyone who is clued up or in the profession this question.

Today I cut my finger (Avulsion). I was using a dirty scalpel and the blade went into my finger cutting about 8mm deep. It bled like a mo fo, through 3 bandages! When the accident occurred I didn't bother washing it as there was that much blood I tried to ease the stem first. When I attended a&e I had 4 steri strips stretched to my finger and it bandaged, however the wounded was never cleaned...

Surely they should have cleaned it, now I'm worried about infection

ReputationRep:
    I was expecting something else entirely from this post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedd)
    I was expecting something else entirely from this post.
    LOOOOOOL! same here, same here. how disappointing.

ReputationRep:
    Well I really didn't know what to put :') ... If I put "treat me right" I thought I'd get loads of abuse haha! It's late guys.. Leave me alone! Hahaha! X

ReputationRep:
    OP why did you not question the nurse at the time?

ReputationRep:
    OP you should change the dressings on wounds like that every 24 hours anyway, so if you're not happy with it give it a wash and re-bandage. You'll know if it's infected if it throbs or gets pus, so if that happens go back to the doc and get some anti biotics!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladbags2012)
    OP why did you not question the nurse at the time?
    I'd been bleeding for 3 hours straight through 3/4 bandages. I was more concerned about stopping the bleeding and getting back to work :/

(Original post by edithwashere)
    OP you should change the dressings on wounds like that every 24 hours anyway, so if you're not happy with it give it a wash and re-bandage. You'll know if it's infected if it throbs or gets pus, so if that happens go back to the doc and get some anti biotics!
    Thank you ) xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammyjade92)
    Hi, right so this post isn't a dig at medical professionals I just want to ask anyone who is clued up or in the profession this question.

Today I cut my finger (Avulsion). I was using a dirty scalpel and the blade went into my finger cutting about 8mm deep. It bled like a mo fo, through 3 bandages! When the accident occurred I didn't bother washing it as there was that much blood I tried to ease the stem first. When I attended a&e I had 4 steri strips stretched to my finger and it bandaged, however the wounded was never cleaned...

Surely they should have cleaned it, now I'm worried about infection
    I do mental health nursing so I can't be much help with the cut im afraid, but I can that you are a nutter!

na joking! Actually I would have thought they would have cleaned it, I had to clean every wound I came across when i was in the treatment room. Did she not wipe it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inthedark1)
    I do mental health nursing so I can't be much help with the cut im afraid, but I can that you are a nutter!

na joking! Actually I would have thought they would have cleaned it, I had to clean every wound I came across when i was in the treatment room. Did she not wipe it?
    Haha that I am

And no! She just applied steri strips and bandaged it and gave me a triangular bandage to stop me using my finger. :/ and today I've woken up and it's double the size of my good index finger haha! X

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, if it bled that much, its probably relatively safe from infection. The advice regarding GP if it gets excessively red or produces pus is the best answer.

ReputationRep:
    Don't start changing the dressings daily, you should leave steri strips as they are for seven days, try to keep the dressing clean and dry and look out for signs of infection such as redness, excessive pain, pus, or you becoming unwell, if that happens go back to your GP. Messing with the dressing and changing it every day will damage the fragile tissue healing underneath it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know what steristrips are and what they do?

What is you experience in the management of finger wounds?

Because aside from the 'needs antibiotics if discharging pus' aspect then you post is entirely wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    Do you know what steristrips are and what they do?

What is you experience in the management of finger wounds?

Because aside from the 'needs antibiotics if discharging pus' aspect then you post is entirely wrong.
    I sliced my thumb down to the bone a couple of months ago, that was what I was told to do by the nurse I saw in A&E :erm:
    Was only trying to help, no need to be so abrupt.

ReputationRep:
    Not from a medical background but when a similar thing happened to me they definitely cleaned the wound (but then it didn't bleed as much as yours so that may make a difference) and were most concerned about if I was up to date with tetanus injections.

Maybe ring up your GP and ask to see a nurse there so they can have a look at it? Explain whats happened and you may be able to speak to a nurse over the phone even if just to put your mind at rest.

I sliced my thumb down to the bone a couple of months ago, that was what I was told to do by the nurse I saw in A&E :erm:
    Was only trying to help, no need to be so abrupt.
    and how did they close this deep wound? stitches?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    and how did they close this deep wound? stitches?
    No, it was above my thumb nail and kind of went diagonally into my knuckle. They gave me the choice of surgical glue or steri strips, i went for steri strips.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.