Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello there!
    Not exactly sure if i'm in the right place for this thread so patience please! All I really want is an honest answer on how international students (Americans) really are able to fit in at universities in the UK, Belgium, and the Netherlands. I have heard a wild variety of things ranging from "it's easy" to it is hard to get "into the society, but once in you will have friends for life".... Please just give me an honest truth (even if it's brutal).

Is it hard for a foreigner to make friends and fit in at Uni's in Europe?
    Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    I would welcome you regardless of where you are from.

But truthfully, if your white and speak good English you should not have any issues. And besides, your American, everyone will want to be friends with you.

ReputationRep:
    For Americans in UK universities? The second people hear your accent they'll want to be friends with you. Not sure about Belgium / The Netherlands but I imagine you'd get a similar reaction

ReputationRep:
    I know it sounds like a bit of a cop-out, but it really depends on your personality/the personalities of your peers. I don't think you'd have a straight out clash of cultures in those countries (we're a relatively friendly lot) but some people might not be used to American personas and attitudes. The trick is just to be yourself and I'm sure you'll fit in perfectly.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I ended up living in a block of apartment which included 5 English students (Including me) and 10 international students.

Straight away I connected with the English students, the internationals connected with there own nationalities apart from a Austrian girl who was the only Austrian so she stuck with Dutch.

But within 2 week we all got know each other, I absolutely love my internationals they are from Netherlands, Germany, South Korea, and Austria and we got on like a house on fire! I even cried when my S.Korean friends left at the end of the year (As its way to expensive for me to visit them:'( )

From what they have said, and what I have seen. I it extremely important that you make an effort to be make friends and fit in.

Also it is easier for those who have good level of English, though my Korean friends had a intermediate level of English therefore sometimes there would be mix ups but we got through that!

Don't worry too much dude, as long as your friendly people will love you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.