Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! What are your views on 4G phone services at the moment?

Is it just me, or isn't there really any point in them? I know the internet is faster and everything, but on a mobile device, it's not like you're going to be downloading big files - and if you are, EE, (which is the only 4G network at the moment) caps their users data.

With most modern smartphones and tablets having capabilities of "3G+" on them, which networks like Three, Orange & T-Mobile currently support, you can get speeds of something like 10Mbps-21Mbps already which is quite fast really.

I tried out a 4G phone in the EE store, and in the Centre of Bristol, it was only getting download speeds of about 6Mbps, whereas with my S3 on Orange, which works with 3G+ speeds, I was getting 13Mbps download speeds?

Would you say that 4G is best really on a computer or tablet where you can do something productive with it? Watching YouTube over 3G on a mobile isn't that bad. It just takes a few seconds longer to load.

The cost is terrible too. On Three, a network which supports download speeds of up to 21Mbps at the moment, you can get unlimited data (as well as 200 minutes, 5000 texts) on sim-only for £12.90 and that's a 1 month plan - plus you can use their 3G anywhere. Over on EE 4G, which is limited to like 10 cities/towns, the maximum amount of data you can get on sim-only is 20GB (along with unlimited minutes and texts) for a whopping £61 a month!! £61 for YouTube to load about 5 seconds faster! (when it works!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timmy-scott)
    Hi! What are your views on 4G phone services at the moment?

Is it just me, or isn't there really any point in them? I know the internet is faster and everything, but on a mobile device, it's not like you're going to be downloading big files - and if you are, EE, (which is the only 4G network at the moment) caps their users data.

With most modern smartphones and tablets having capabilities of "3G+" on them, which networks like Three, Orange & T-Mobile currently support, you can get speeds of something like 10Mbps-21Mbps already which is quite fast really.

I tried out a 4G phone in the EE store, and in the Centre of Bristol, it was only getting download speeds of about 6Mbps, whereas with my S3 on Orange, which works with 3G+ speeds, I was getting 13Mbps download speeds?

Would you say that 4G is best really on a computer or tablet where you can do something productive with it? Watching YouTube over 3G on a mobile isn't that bad. It just takes a few seconds longer to load.

The cost is terrible too. On Three, a network which supports download speeds of up to 21Mbps at the moment, you can get unlimited data (as well as 200 minutes, 5000 texts) on sim-only for £12.90 and that's a 1 month plan - plus you can use their 3G anywhere. Over on EE 4G, which is limited to like 10 cities/towns, the maximum amount of data you can get on sim-only is 20GB (along with unlimited minutes and texts) for a whopping £61 a month!! £61 for YouTube to load about 5 seconds faster! (when it works!!)
    Three, T-Mobile and Orange now have 80% coverage of their DC-HSPA+ network which supports speeds of up to 42mbps with a number of users reporting speeds of around 25mbps+ which is just as fast as 4G.

Three will also be offering 4G free of charge and with unlimited data from as little as £12.90 on a sim only (must be used with a 4G handset) or from £34pm with a 4G phone. Three are looking to launch their 4G network later this year and are the only network in the UK to not charge for 4G.

Therefore, if you look at the reasons for getting 4G at the moment, you will see that the main things you look at are download speed/upload speed/price/coverage and real life benefit. With Three you'll get all that at standard rate. So would i say it's worth it. Hell yeah i would.

Ok press release from three over

4G is only worth it if you require a fast upload speed to upload movies/pictures a lot of the time. 4G is also useful as it has a lower ping and thus can improve buffering time or online gaming connections. 4G can be useful for building penetration as all networks will be using a lower frequency compared to 3G. This means that you are likely to get 4G in a building where 3G signal cannot penetrate. Also you are more likely to see faster speeds on a low 4G signal compared to a low 3G signal. For example, on a low 3G signal you may get 1mbps, but on a low 4G signal you are more likely to get 10mbps.

And the number one reason most people will tell you is that 4G is fast for download speeds. Up to 100mbps theoretically. (more likely to see half of that at peak)

So all of these advantages make 4G a very attractive package.

Now lets look at price and coverage. At the moment only EE have 4G and they have limited coverage in only 35 major towns/cities. EE will not have over 80% UK coverage until at least the end of 2014. This is likely to be the same for Three, O2 and Vodafone. However if you live in a 4G coverage area then 4G should be worth it.

Now let's look at price. EE are charging £56pm for 8GB of data. T-Mobile and Three offer unlimited data from £16pm/£12.90pm on a sim only, and from £26pm with a free handset. (DC-HSPA+ capable). Therefore on price 3G is much cheaper than 4G. So you need to weigh up whether the advantages posted above are enough to warrant the price increase that EE are charging. O2 and Vodafone have also confirmed they will be charging a premium for 4G.

Like i mentioned earlier. Only Three will not charge for 4G and therefore are offering a very attractive proposition with their already fast DC-HSPA+ 42Mbps (80% UK coverage) and 4G network (due later this year) at standard cost from £34pm with unlimited data and unlimited tethering.

Three are also giving you unlimited data to take advantage of 4G unlike EE and the others who are capping data.

I know this sounds like a press release for Three but it's only because they've shocked everyone by announcing their ultrafast network will not cost a penny more and be available for all customers to use from day 1 (provided they have a 4G capable handset)

Also the possibilities of 4G being used in rural areas as an alternative for fixed line broadband can be useful for a lot of residents. Plus in the future LTE Advanced rev 10 can be used to replace fixed line broadband with speeds up to 3GBPS. (yes you read that right)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.