Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Average time for 5K plus tips? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I really want to take part in the race for life 5K this summer, but although I'm at a decent fitness level I loathe running. Today I ran 5K straight for the first time and it took me 32 minutes, is that bad? or average? And any tips on improving my time and overall running stamina would be great! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harlee24)
    I really want to take part in the race for life 5K this summer, but although I'm at a decent fitness level I loathe running. Today I ran 5K straight for the first time and it took me 32 minutes, is that bad? or average? And any tips on improving my time and overall running stamina would be great! Thanks
    32 minutes is a decent time for someone who isn't a regular runner. I myself am a beginner to running and your time is about where I'm at (just over 10 minutes a mile). I'm doing a Half Marathon in just 9 weeks so my focus at the minute is just getting as many miles in a week as possible (I last did 7 miles without stopping). As you can already run the full distance of your race, all you need to do is focus on getting quicker. And that simply comes with training. Run a few times a week and try each week to get faster, even if its only by 20-30 seconds. You'll notice over time with training you naturally can run quicker as you get fitter.

If you aren't sure how to measure the time/distance outside, download the app mapmyrun. It's fantastic, it times you whilst tracking your distance. It's pretty accurate to as it just works of GPS like a Sat Nav wood. Anyways good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's a decent time, and you'll find that at the race for life, a lot of people walk. A lot finish within the 1 hour mark... (Though you'll always get that one person who finishes in 16 minutes XD)

I don't really have many tips. I've been told to work on my endurance, and then bring up speed. I am (trying) training for a 10k though. I'm also doing a race for life, so I'll be aiming to do that faster than usual too. I'm wanting 25 minutes preferably.

ReputationRep:
    32 mins is an ok beginner time. As you run more you can look forward to breaking the 30min and then 25min barriers. (and 20 if you really work at it)

To improve your 5k time you need to be doing lots of different types of running. You need longer 6-7km runs to build endurance, to ensure you still have some in the tank at 4k.

You also need to be doing shorter 500m-1k ish runs to build speed. These should be a sprint or close to.

You should also try and get some training on big hills, it makes running on the flat seem much easier.

I appreciate this might be a bit more training that you were thinking of doing, but if you are serious about getting faster you should be doing most/all of it.

Also check out runners world magazine (online) there's loads of good information on there. Also The Running Thread on TSR is a mine of information.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.