Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I have one a question,more precise discussion of the reasons for the First World War.I know two reasons for declaration first world war,but I don't know which exactly reasons for declaration first world war.?

ReputationRep:
    There are quite a few reasons for the First World War. The reasons that spring to mind are: race for Africa (Imperialism), arms race, previous wars and territory disputes, Arch Duke Ferdinand assassination and the alliances. A classic exam question would be to weigh up what was the most important factor and this can be any of the aforementioned ones but has to be well argued.

ReputationRep:
    Is this GCSE or A-level?

ReputationRep:
    One of the reasons that I is, Germany and Turkey have made a plan for a railroad,that would connect Germany with the Turkish and East.However it did now want Britain and Franch for transpotation goods over sea.

sorry for my bad english

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edis)
    One of the reasons that I is, Germany and Turkey have made a plan for a railroad,that would connect Germany with the Turkish and East.However it did now want Britain and Franch for transpotation goods over sea.
    Do you mean the Baghdad-Berlin railroad? The study of why World War I started is a huge topic; a lot more complex than the simple reason we're all taught at Primary school (Assassination of the Archduke). You have to go back deep into the 19th Century to look at the rising tensions between all of the Great Powers and that, sooner or later, it was going to boil over into armed conflict. The railroad is a factor I've heard about, but I would have thought that it was more a short-term factor if anything. Saying that, the economic power and military expansion of Germany, a long-term factor (Which the railway would have likely increased hugely), would of course be linked in with that.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know exactly that the railroad in question,but I've heard that railroad should be connected Germany with countries on east and that is the main reason for world war I.

In my school we learned that the only and main reasons Crown murder in Sarajevo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edis)
    I don't know exactly that the railroad in question,but I've heard that railroad should be connected Germany with countries on east and that is the main reason for world war I.

In my school we learned that the only and main reasons Crown murder in Sarajevo.
    No, the main reason for WWI was NOT the Berlin-Baghdad railway. As stated above, it was far more complicated than that.

Where do you go to school?

ReputationRep:
    It's okey,just I said that I know two reasons.As stated I above,I studied in my school that reasons for the WWI was murder.
    In a books of history in my country exist more information that are wrong,for example,says that the Kosovo War was 28 June,however in some Turskish sources Kosovo War was somewhere in August,so what is true.?

I am from Serbia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edis)
    It's okey,just I said that I know two reasons.As stated I above,I studied in my school that reasons for the WWI was murder.
    In a books of history in my country exist more information that are wrong,for example,says that the Kosovo War was 28 June,however in some Turskish sources Kosovo War was somewhere in August,so what is true.?

I am from Serbia.
    I don't normally use wikipedia as an unsupported source, but this might help:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosovo_War

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_World_War_I

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edis)

I am from Serbia.
    I assume by "Kosovo War" you are referring to the First Balkan War (when Kosovo came under the rule of the modern Serbian state for the first time)? If so, the Albanian uprising (which Serbia had backed) began in January 1912 and lasted until August 1912. Serbia used this as a pretext to invade the Ottoman Empire, and did so along with Bulgaria, Greece and Montenegro in October 1912, conquering Kosovo, modern day Macedonia and most of Albania by May 1913. Serbia was able to keep most of its territorial holdings, but had to withdraw from Albania under pressure from Austria-Hungary and Italy, which obviously Serbia didn't like (as they lost access to the sea). This, along with Austria-Hungary's attempts to dominate Serbia's economy and its annexation of Bosnia-Herzegovina, and Serbia's irredentionist claims, helped to build tensions between the two nations, which culminated in the June 1914 assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand and Austria-Hungary's ultimatum to Serbia.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think on first balkan war.I think on "Kosovo War" which happened 1389.

ReputationRep:
    So many reasons!!
    The Balkans was a massive cause of tension throughout Europe around the late 1800s/ early 1900s. economic causes, the alliance system, domestic issues in countries eg nationalities in Austria were very varied and a lot of Serbian nationalism occurred. The arms and naval races, like Germany was a threat to British naval power. Russia and "pan-slavism" wanting to protect the Slavic states. Literally there is so much to talk about! Then obviously like the trigger factor, the July crisis which resulted in the ultimatum from Austria which triggered it all off!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edis)
    I don't think on first balkan war.I think on "Kosovo War" which happened 1389.
    Oh. I don't really see what a fairly minor battle from the Middle Ages (which occured in June I believe, but the details are still very controvertial), really has to do with World War 1 though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clessus)
    Oh. I don't really see what a fairly minor battle from the Middle Ages (which occured in June I believe, but the details are still very controvertial), really has to do with World War 1 though?
    That's what Nationalism does though. It distorts historical events. Just look at the SNP and Bannockburn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppet Science)
    There are quite a few reasons for the First World War. The reasons that spring to mind are: race for Africa (Imperialism), arms race, previous wars and territory disputes, Arch Duke Ferdinand assassination and the alliances. A classic exam question would be to weigh up what was the most important factor and this can be any of the aforementioned ones but has to be well argued.
    There was also the German naval program which frightened the UK. I think the UK had a set a rule that it has a larger navy than the two second strongest together. A naval program was something like today a nuclera program.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by player19)
    There was also the German naval program which frightened the UK. I think the UK had a set a rule that it has a larger navy than the two second strongest together. A naval program was something like today a nuclera program.
    That is correct. Interestingly though I've just returned from a WW1 battlefield tour. I highly recommend that to anybody. You don't get the scale of the loss of life at forst until you start driving through the country side and every few miles you see cemetarys. It's when you hit Thiepvil, Tyne Cot and the Menim gate that the lists of those killed without a known grave hit you.

Anyway, we visited a museam there and the museam implied that the naval race was settled between teh UK and Germany before the start of WW1 starting. It wasn't an issue. It was solely the fact that Germany decided to get to France through Neutral Belgium that broiught the UK into war. Infact the Triple Alliance, was really just a double Alliance between France and Russia. Had Belgium not have been invaded we'd have quite happily sat it out. (Although I'm sure that we would have had to get involved somehow.)

ReputationRep:
    its all been said really, german resentment towards european empires as theyd missed out, balkan tensions, arms race, family feuding [you can argue the point about the kaiser being jealous of his british cousin for the aforementioned reason], the alliance system sure as hell didnt help matters especially when Russia decided to mobilise... that was more or less the last domino falling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    That is correct. Interestingly though I've just returned from a WW1 battlefield tour. I highly recommend that to anybody. You don't get the scale of the loss of life at forst until you start driving through the country side and every few miles you see cemetarys. It's when you hit Thiepvil, Tyne Cot and the Menim gate that the lists of those killed without a known grave hit you.

Anyway, we visited a museam there and the museam implied that the naval race was settled between teh UK and Germany before the start of WW1 starting. It wasn't an issue. It was solely the fact that Germany decided to get to France through Neutral Belgium that broiught the UK into war. Infact the Triple Alliance, was really just a double Alliance between France and Russia. Had Belgium not have been invaded we'd have quite happily sat it out. (Although I'm sure that we would have had to get involved somehow.)
    Well, it would be interesting to visit someday this WW1 battlefields. What is sad that WW1 is not so popular as WW2 although it is also interesting. The Uk saw Belgium as a springboard for Germans to inavde it. It was not in the interest of Germans to have the UK as enemy while the relationship between the UK and France were also not very good (I think they were even on a brink of war because of the incident of Fashoda). Considering that and also that Wilhelm II was the grandson of Queen Victoria I doubt that the UK would go in war with Germany if it hadnt invade Belgium.

Their only goal is to have Germany and France on distance for becoming to powerful.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it would be interesting to visit someday this WW1 battlefields. What is sad that WW1 is not so popular as WW2 although it is also interesting. The Uk saw Belgium as a springboard for Germans to inavde it. It was not in the interest of Germans to have the UK as enemy while the relationship between the UK and France were also not very good (I think they were even on a brink of war because of the incident of Fashoda). Considering that and also that Wilhelm II was the grandson of Queen Victoria I doubt that the UK would go in war with Germany if it hadnt invade Belgium.

Their only goal is to have Germany and France on distance for becoming to powerful.
    Fulkly agree with that. Had Belgium not been invaded we'd have kept out of the Great War. Although I'm sure we would've been dragged in at some point. Wars that big on your doorstep normally do end up drawing you in.

ReputationRep:

I also agree. The reason that Germany invaded Belgium though was because they had to knock France out of the war quickly (by outflanking their armies) so that they could turn on the Russians in the east. Had they not invaded through Belgium, they would have had to attack along the heavily defended French fronier at the border with Alsace-Lorraine. They figured that if France fell quickly enough, Britain wouldn't see the point in sending troops to assist France, though it obviously didn't work out that way.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.