Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm 14 and I am in year 9 and have recently chosen my GCSE'S Computing, Catering history etc
    My maths grade at min is F
    My target is C
    I want to get that C to get to uni and have a good life but I need help to get that C any suggestions???

ReputationRep:
    Do a couple of past papers and find the areas where you struggle the most. Look up how to answer these trouble questions or ask a teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely past papers, that is how I got my grade up, as the above poster said that's away of identifying the areas you struggle with the most and will therefore need more of a focus.

I had revision guides as well, if I remember when I did mine I had one that was specifically for the exam board that I a doing and it had practice questions and tips on how to remember.

If you are only in year 9 then you have the summer holidays where you could maybe ask your teacher if you could use the break to get a head start for when you get back. That's what I did, and my teacher set me some work for me to do over the holidays.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    If you can afford it, then 1-to-1 Maths tutors are a great help since they can find the areas that need work and make sure that you understand these fully.

Going into an exam and not knowing where to start is the worst feeling. I got my grade up from D to A* this way.

However if you can't afford it, since the tutoring is painfully expensive most of the time, then working through past papers and finding your weakest topics is your best bet. These topics you can ask your teacher about and practice again and again until you understand. Text books can be confusing to understand lots of the time, so make sure to ask your teacher so you can get the answer in plain English.

Really Best of Luck in your Exams!

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any websites were I can find gcse papers to print off?? Or any good revision books my school recommended cgp higher gcse maths as my grade is C

ReputationRep:
    Maths247 ( dont know if he does gcse) and examsolutions should be more than enough to get a C

ReputationRep:
    Aim for A* man

ReputationRep:
    I'm 2 thick for that I am ordering some practice papers

ReputationRep:
    Another way to improve your grade is to get yourself a CD or and app called "maths watch" it's really good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do plenty of past papers (this is probably the most important thing). Also, ask for additional help from teachers if you need it, attend any additional revision sessions you can, look up videos online of how to approach certain maths problems, and if you have any friends who are particularly good at maths then see if they can give you a hand.

Do plenty of revision with as much time in advance as you can so you are comfortable with the sort of questions that will come up and how to approach them.

Don't go into the exam with a 'I can't do this' attitude. You are not 'too thick' - it just may take a bit of work!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks have the worst class they piss about and I get involved and I get stressed

ReputationRep:
    Sign up to KhanAcademy, you won't just get a C but you'll probably get even higher if you spend 1-2 hours on there everyday. Both my siblings use it and they love it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wiska)
    Sign up to KhanAcademy, you won't just get a C but you'll probably get even higher if you spend 1-2 hours on there everyday. Both my siblings use it and they love it!
    Agreed - this is quite helpful and explains things in a way that's pretty easy to understand. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lfc1998)
    I'm 2 thick for that I am ordering some practice papers
    Go to examsolutions.co.uk, and you'll be sorted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lfc1998)
    Hi I'm 14 and I am in year 9 and have recently chosen my GCSE'S Computing, Catering history etc
    My maths grade at min is F
    My target is C
    I want to get that C to get to uni and have a good life but I need help to get that C any suggestions???
    As a former Maths teacher, the best way is to practice the exam questions. Most of the UK GCSE course is quite useless and the circular curriculum makes it impossible for students to truly master the subject. My plain as day advice is to pick a topic and master the exam questions on that topic. Google searches of KS4 +<insert topic> revision will do wonders. If you work hard an A is easily achievable because of the predictability that practice makes perfect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vorsah)
    Maths247 ( dont know if he does gcse) and examsolutions should be more than enough to get a C
    Yes, plenty of GCSE stuff on their.
    Foundation and Higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m4ths/maths247)
    Yes, plenty of GCSE stuff on their.
    Foundation and Higher.
    Your videos are really helpful, I'm watching the FP1 tutorials currently.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wiska)
    Is that website suitable for gcse maths ? I was told by my idiotic teacher that they might teach something/go over something in a different way ? I'm kinda confused C

(Original post by Vorsah)
    Aim for A* man
    I'm not having a go at you dude, just wondering why aim for A* ? I'm currently in my last year in year 11 & got a maths exam in June (it's geometry (aqa).

What revision method would you recommend ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnight1811)
    Hey dude,

I'd say it is yes. The thing about Maths is that, regardless what method it is you choose to use, the answer will always be right, some are more comfortable with certain methods. In order to ensure it is tailored to what you need to learn for GCSE Mathematics then find out about it's syllabus and learn all of the relevant stuff on there.

My sister has been using this for little over 3 months and she is set to sit her Maths GCSE's in year 7, so it does work

Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wiska)
    Hey dude,

I'd say it is yes. The thing about Maths is that, regardless what method it is you choose to use, the answer will always be right, some are more comfortable with certain methods. In order to ensure it is tailored to what you need to learn for GCSE Mathematics then find out about it's syllabus and learn all of the relevant stuff on there.

My sister has been using this for little over 3 months and she is set to sit her Maths GCSE's in year 7, so it does work

Hope this helped
    Oh okay, say if I have a list of my syllabus, could I simply just type it into that site and follow the tutorial :-)

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.