Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm in the very fortunate position of having a choice of medical schools...and I've narrowed it down to Barts and Birmingham. I really like Barts but Birmingham is good because it would enable me to carry on trampolining whereas it wouldn't be as easy at Barts. Is Barts a safe area to be in? Are there any students who can give me pros and cons of each area and help me come to a decision?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Sherlock,

I can only reply from my time at Birmingham (and i never did trampolining) so this may be a little one sided:

1. Birmingham has been getting better and better each year

2. Selly Oak which is where you will live for the best part of your degree is a fun place to live, but there are a lot of thefts on the main student roads

3. With over 65,000 students in Birmingham, you're sure to have a good time when you go out

Would I recommend it? Most definitely.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradTests)
    Hi Sherlock,

I can only reply from my time at Birmingham (and i never did trampolining) so this may be a little one sided:

1. Birmingham has been getting better and better each year

2. Selly Oak which is where you will live for the best part of your degree is a fun place to live, but there are a lot of thefts on the main student roads

3. With over 65,000 students in Birmingham, you're sure to have a good time when you go out

Would I recommend it? Most definitely.

Hope this helps.
    How do you find the workload and assessments at Birmingham? I appreciate that they will all be heavy but I'm thinking about the first few weeks, do they throw you in or are you able to cope quite well? I went on an open day to Barts yesterday and like it...but am so confused now Also, the thing I have seen is that some people say that Birmingham is a bit disorganised...is that true? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I have to say - I don't know too much about Birmingham - I'm sure it's a fantastic university though and you will have a great time whether you go to Barts or Birmingham!

I'm a current medic at Barts and love it - everyone is so friendly, it is literally like a family! Of course it is in London which is a massive plus - and if you live in Dawson halls in your first year then you will be living in central London for reasonably cheap!

In terms of the later years - most people live in east London - anywhere from Whitechapel to Stratford. The area is pretty much like any big city, you have to be careful, but it is nowhere near as bad as everyone makes out. Lots of students in the area, and really good transport links into central London for nights out and stuff.

Academically, Barts has been going from strength to strength recently, which is great - but the real highlight in terms of medicine itself is the clinical years at Barts. We are fortunate enough to be able to be placed at some of the best teaching hospitals in the country!

Also - if you go to Barts you become part of a group of medical schools called the 'United Hospitals' which are basically all the London med schools plus the Royal Veterinary College. These schools play each other in many sports games throughout the year and just adds an extra bit of healthy rivalry! Barts for example have won the UH rugby cup (oldest rugby competition in the world) for the last two years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Hospitals_Cup

So yeah - come to Barts! You won't regret it!

ReputationRep:
    I am leaning towards Barts in all honesty...could you give me the pros and the cons of Barts? Also, you may not know but how easy/safe is it to get to the Whitechapel Leisure centre or the Mile End LC?

ReputationRep:
    No doubt Barts is an excellent uni too.

Birmingham Uni can be chaotic - but I have put that down to the huge number of students there.

In terms of the workload, organisation is key. If you're organised, you'll be fine.

All the best!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxSherlockxx)
    I am leaning towards Barts in all honesty...could you give me the pros and the cons of Barts? Also, you may not know but how easy/safe is it to get to the Whitechapel Leisure centre or the Mile End LC?
    Haha okay I'll give it a go - I'll probably miss loads out though!

Pros:

- Really friendly university
    - Good academically (especially in clinical years)
    - While maintaining autonomy as a seperate institution (Big deal - as we probably have the most autonomy of any medschool - eg. GKT, RUMS, ICSM etc have all had to relinquish a lot of power to Kings, UCL and Imperial respectively) - we are also members of the United Hospitals, University of London and Queen Mary Uni - and can hence use all of their facilities, as well as our own.
    - The student union - 'The Griffinn' has just gone through a million pound refurbishment.
    - We have undisputedly the best RAG record in London - recently collecting more money for RAG than all the other medschools in London combined!

Cons:

- It's London, so it's obviously it's a bit more expensive. I really notice the difference in price of a pint when I go back home!
    - Like you heard from Birmingham, I wouldn't say Bart's was the best at being organised! But to be honest, I think that'll be the same at almost every uni - just too many students and other stuff going on to be right on it all the time!
    - iBsc selection isn't the greatest - it's got the classics, but if you want something a bit obscure, you may have to go to a different uni for the iBsc year. (That's if you want to do one at all of course!)

There's sure to be some more pros and cons - but I've kinda just woken up so my brain isn't working at it's finest! Just ask me (or 'Penguinsaysquack' - one of the mods) if you have any other questions Barts is a great place - and I love it! But I'm certain Birmingham is too - you have a tough choice to make! Good luck!

In terms of the leisure centres:

If you mean the university gyms - then there is a huge state of the art one at Queen Mary's campus which most people use. Really easy to get to, and cheap for what it offers!
    There is also a smaller gym at Dawson Hall in the Charterhouse Square campus specifically for medics and dentists, which is even cheaper. Very useful if you live in Dawson Hall (which would be my recommendation)

If you mean actual leisure centres that aren't attached to the university - Mile End Leisure centre becomes very useful in 2nd year onwards, as you'll probably live closer to it than you do in the first year. They have a great 'free swim fridays' deal which is great for us as you can imagine! It's a nice leisure centre with a gym and athletics track and stuff - it's where the US olympic team trained for the 2012 olympics. (I think :P) It's easy and safe to get to as its on a well lit main road.

Don't know much about Whitechapel Leisure Centre - but it's very near to the Whitechapel campus and has pretty standard leisure centre facilities I believe!

Hope that all helps - tis a bit of an essay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cinnamonITFC)
    Haha okay I'll give it a go - I'll probably miss loads out though!

Pros:

- Really friendly university
    - Good academically (especially in clinical years)
    - While maintaining autonomy as a seperate institution (Big deal - as we probably have the most autonomy of any medschool - eg. GKT, RUMS, ICSM etc have all had to relinquish a lot of power to Kings, UCL and Imperial respectively) - we are also members of the United Hospitals, University of London and Queen Mary Uni - and can hence use all of their facilities, as well as our own.
    - The student union - 'The Griffinn' has just gone through a million pound refurbishment.
    - We have undisputedly the best RAG record in London - recently collecting more money for RAG than all the other medschools in London combined!

Cons:

- It's London, so it's obviously it's a bit more expensive. I really notice the difference in price of a pint when I go back home!
    - Like you heard from Birmingham, I wouldn't say Bart's was the best at being organised! But to be honest, I think that'll be the same at almost every uni - just too many students and other stuff going on to be right on it all the time!
    - iBsc selection isn't the greatest - it's got the classics, but if you want something a bit obscure, you may have to go to a different uni for the iBsc year. (That's if you want to do one at all of course!)

There's sure to be some more pros and cons - but I've kinda just woken up so my brain isn't working at it's finest! Just ask me (or 'Penguinsaysquack' - one of the mods) if you have any other questions Barts is a great place - and I love it! But I'm certain Birmingham is too - you have a tough choice to make! Good luck!

In terms of the leisure centres:

If you mean the university gyms - then there is a huge state of the art one at Queen Mary's campus which most people use. Really easy to get to, and cheap for what it offers!
    There is also a smaller gym at Dawson Hall in the Charterhouse Square campus specifically for medics and dentists, which is even cheaper. Very useful if you live in Dawson Hall (which would be my recommendation)

If you mean actual leisure centres that aren't attached to the university - Mile End Leisure centre becomes very useful in 2nd year onwards, as you'll probably live closer to it than you do in the first year. They have a great 'free swim fridays' deal which is great for us as you can imagine! It's a nice leisure centre with a gym and athletics track and stuff - it's where the US olympic team trained for the 2012 olympics. (I think :P) It's easy and safe to get to as its on a well lit main road.

Don't know much about Whitechapel Leisure Centre - but it's very near to the Whitechapel campus and has pretty standard leisure centre facilities I believe!

Hope that all helps - tis a bit of an essay!
    No I am loving the essay Where did you stay?? I really want an en-suite but I know it won't be convenient after lectures to go all the way back to Mile End...

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was also given offers from Barts and Birmingham and had a really hard time deciding between the two. Yesterday I have firmed Barts because I have heard from many students that the clinical years at Barts are really good and you get a lot of support from teachers and mentors. Everyone is also very friendly and I think living in London is going to be a lot of fun. I've heard that anatomy teaching at Birmingham is really poor and also the university is disorganized and you don't really get any feedback on your exam results and the clinical years are not as good. Have you made your decision yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weronika_)
    Hi, I was also given offers from Barts and Birmingham and had a really hard time deciding between the two. Yesterday I have firmed Barts because I have heard from many students that the clinical years at Barts are really good and you get a lot of support from teachers and mentors. Everyone is also very friendly and I think living in London is going to be a lot of fun. I've heard that anatomy teaching at Birmingham is really poor and also the university is disorganized and you don't really get any feedback on your exam results and the clinical years are not as good. Have you made your decision yet?
    Yes! I've firmed Barts too!

ReputationRep:
    I have got an offer for the Cancer Therapeutics course at Barts. Really looking forward to it. Can anyone let me know as to how is the Dawson Hall to live in? I mean it's not an en suite, and the postgrads studying at barts and london school of medicine are not eligible to apply for accomodation at miles end, so the only option left is Dawson hall!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.