Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/leobigi...0378/lightbox/

I love the earthy contrast here. Can you help me to identify the effects so I can learn more about it?

ReputationRep:
    Its hard to tell without the original...

Looks like it might be a contrast curve adjustment, to make the whites a bit brighter and the blacks darker. The background's been blurred, but that's probably because of the aperture size rather than postprocessing.

ReputationRep:
    The lighting kit being used, and the lens is part of the effect, but it has no doubt had contrast adjustments.

ReputationRep:
    looks stupid, the bloke looks green.

ReputationRep:
    I'm never a fan of these sorts of questions - In many cases it's just luck. But if you want to get a similar look, you really need to learn to investigate the image fully and work it out, in part, for yourself. Look at the reflections and the lines and the colours and see what they did.

If any of the terms don't make sense, just research them. Go to Google or Youtube and research it. You'll learn loads and you'll start to be able to recognise effects for yourself. Being told a list of instructions is rarely useful as you need to understand what it does.

That said... TRIAL AND ERROR IS KEY! Above all else, just look at it and think about how it was made on each layer of the concept. There is no one button on Photoshop to "get that look", it goes through the entire process of photography and editing and you need to get into that style too.

First and foremost, the majority of the work was done with the camera and the lighting set up. Additions may be made in post, but you can't add that look without getting the physical stuff right. Shooting in a RAW format (instead of JPEG) would help in the editing.

From the eyes, it appears there was a single round light source. Though the EXIF data says no flash was used, I'm not sure if it would still recognise external flashes. It is probably a light sphere or spherical diffuser over a speed light/external flash. It is ever so slightly off centre, hence the overall lightness and lack of harsh or deep shadows. The power used for the flash will be set with some trial and error because the stuff outside needs to be balanced. It says the shot was taken at around 1pm, but I don't believe this is true. Late afternoon seems more likely. Set the flash power to even the skin without over powering the glass.

Step two: Pull a funny face and take the picture

You don't need Photoshop for editing this. Like, really, just no. Lightroom would be fantastic, but stock software supplied with the camera will work wonders too. It's just about experimenting and not being afraid of bodging it however is best. Start by adjusting the white balance. I reckon the white balance was set for the skin tone as there are some green tones on his face. It seems like the black levels may have been lowered and some "recovery" was used (to stop bright areas from turning white and instead returning to their original tone and colour) to balance the sky outside. Experiment with the contrast and lightness and add some clarity to create defined edges between areas of high and low contrast.

Really though... How did you think they got it? That's all that really matters. Just experiment and examine all the individual elements. I don't use Photoshop for editing, I use Lightroom and GIMP/Paint.net (the latter two are free) for editing all my photos.

ReputationRep:
    From the looks of the url it's been edited in lightbox or whatever that programme is called that everyone seems to love.

The blurred background will probably be done in camera, the colours seem to have a lot of blue and green in them... They aren't quite natural, especially as his skin has a yellowish hue I'd think that he's adjusted the curves to add just a touch more blue and green. It's subtle but blues and greens are more prominent than I'd expect.

Just a guess though, that's a tricky question!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letitia)
    From the looks of the url it's been edited in lightbox or whatever that programme is called that everyone seems to love.

The blurred background will probably be done in camera, the colours seem to have a lot of blue and green in them... They aren't quite natural, especially as his skin has a yellowish hue I'd think that he's adjusted the curves to add just a touch more blue and green. It's subtle but blues and greens are more prominent than I'd expect.

Lightbox is the application within Flickr that allows for the image to stand out in front of a black background.

The strong blue/green in the landscape behind is potentially due to his white balance and the colour of his flashes. Wouldn't have thought so, cause flashes are often the same colour white as the sun, but it may have something to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluffyLion)
    Lightbox is the application within Flickr that allows for the image to stand out in front of a black background.

The strong blue/green in the landscape behind is potentially due to his white balance and the colour of his flashes. Wouldn't have thought so, cause flashes are often the same colour white as the sun, but it may have something to do with it.
    It does say in the description that he was trying out a new lighting rig, so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letitia)

You're thinking of Lightroom and yes, it's very good.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.