Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long until a new 'super sport' is invented? Watch

ReputationRep:
    By super sport I mean a sport which will be world-wide popular.

Will there be a new sport created in our life times that millions will play. Is it possible?

Plus do you think any Sport will every surpass football in terms of popularity?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Jordan_1)
    By super sport I mean a sport which will be world-wide popular.

Will there be a new sport created in our life times that millions will play. Is it possible?

Plus do you think any Sport will every surpass football in terms of popularity?
    I think that there is potential for sports which already exist to get more followers than football, for example american football or cricket. I also think that there are sports which are popular in other bits of the world that aren't necessarily that big in the UK which we don't realise might already have more followers than football, for example what they watch in china ( not actually sure what they do watch but I would guess at a martial art)

ReputationRep:
    Probably not. Back in the old days they were bored and so invented random things which continued. Nowadays people play normal things like Rugby, Football, Tennis etc. rather than creating new sports or playing random games.

It's similar to inventions to be honest. The amount invented today when compared to the days of the industrial revolution is factional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dotty_but_good)
    I think that there is potential for sports which already exist to get more followers than football, for example american football or cricket. I also think that there are sports which are popular in other bits of the world that aren't necessarily that big in the UK which we don't realise might already have more followers than football, for example what they watch in china ( not actually sure what they do watch but I would guess at a martial art)
    Neither American football or cricket would ever become more popular than football.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Jordan_1)
    Neither American football or cricket would ever become more popular than football.
    I have no idea if they would or not I was just suggesting that it is more likely for a sport that is already quite big to overtake football than for a completely new sport to come out of almost nowhere and take over.

If you look online it is generally considered football is the most popular with cricket a close second but if for some reason cricket found a new market for example china or south america it could suddenly overtake football.

ReputationRep:
    An as of yet uninvented sport becoming world wide dominating?

Not in my lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    A sport that isn't already invented: timescale of tens of generations, I'd imagine.
    A sport that exists but not universally popular (i.e. NFL, cricket): Possibly within 30-50 years? Who knows. Depends so much on social attitudes which are variable as ****!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by dotty_but_good)
    yes, Badminton is very popular in Asia.

edit: after a quick google search, I don't think it's very popular at all.

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of sports are on the up, but all you need to play soccer is a ball which is what makes it accessible to so many.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footgolf

This is going to be the next big thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1egisL5wis

ReputationRep:
    sports are just like original hand gestures they have all been used up

ReputationRep:
    Whilst combat sports are in no way a new thing, the rise of MMA due to the UFC is something quite special. Few sports have exploded like that has over the past few years...

But no i can't see a brand new sport coming along and being more popular.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anything will ever beat football in terms of popularity. Cry all you want but it is so popular purely because it's so damn simple. You spend an hour and a half trying to kick a ball into the opposing team's net, the one who does that the most wins. No weird rules (rugby), no weird scoring system (tennis and cricket), no eternal matches (cricket), no need for tons of equipment (American football). Anyone can learn the rules in 2 seconds and play with decent ability. Also another reason is sports tend to be exported by empires or any occupying country. This is why the Japanese are so into baseball and the Pakistanis are so into cricket. I don't see anyone else ever taking over a quarter of the planet in the near future so football will continue to reign supreme.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.