Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If your girlfriend (or boyfriend) had a couple of casual things with two friends of yours in the past, before you starting going out.

Do you think it is necessary to know (in the interests of honesty), or is it just an uncomfortable truth, best left in the past?

I imagine the instinctive answer will be yes, but its worth noting these are friends you see daily and you can't 'unknow' it once you do. Your partner is completely faithful and you have no need to worry about anything happening again. Honest answer, would you want to know?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I would want to know.

ReputationRep:
    No, but if it ever comes up don't lie.

ReputationRep:
    These things usually end up surfacing. Better sooner than later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supertoaster)
    No, but if it ever comes up don't lie.
    Yes, I think this is certainly very important.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know what happened roughly, excluding all the details

ReputationRep:
    Well I'd never date anyone that done anything with one of my friends whether it was years ago or not.

But to answer the question - no I wouldn't see any benefit in knowing.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aries1992)
    Well I'd never date anyone that done anything with one of my friends whether it was years ago or not.

Somewhat off-topic but why? I find that incredibly odd unless the friend in question has a strong issue with it. :confused:

ReputationRep:

Well I introduced him to the friends. They're mine, originally, back when this stuff happened. He's just grown close to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zurvan)
    Somewhat off-topic but why? I find that incredibly odd unless the friend in question has a strong issue with it. :confused:
    Because like I said it wouldn't benefit me in anyway. In fact knowing details of what they did would just upset/anger me and put me off the boy.

ReputationRep:
    If it happened before the relationship I don't see why it would matter

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't bother me much if there wasn't still feelings and the friend wasn't annoyed about the relationship, but I'd probably ask what happened, yeh.

ReputationRep:
    Because like I said it wouldn't benefit me in anyway. In fact knowing details of what they did would just upset/anger me and put me off the boy.

That didn't really answer my question on why you would never date someone who had been somewhat intimate with a friend of yours despite the amount of time passed. Nevermind though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tashazzz)
    Wouldn't bother me much if there wasn't still feelings and the friend wasn't annoyed about the relationship, but I'd probably ask what happened, yeh.
    Would you want them to actually go out of their way to tell you though? Or only if it came up?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'd want to know, as it would impact our relationship - depending on how close they were as a couple, I may not be comfy dating them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelanieDickson)
    Would you want them to actually go out of their way to tell you though? Or only if it came up?
    I wouldn't expect them to tell me without it being brought up, no. But I'd like to know at some point so I'd probably just ask at some stage early on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zurvan)
    That didn't really answer my question on why you would never date someone who had been somewhat intimate with a friend of yours despite the amount of time passed. Nevermind though.
    Oh. Because I wouldn't want to kiss/sleep with someone my friend has kissed/slept with - too weird for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tashazzz)
    I wouldn't expect them to tell me without it being brought up, no. But I'd like to know at some point so I'd probably just ask at some stage early on.
    Okay, that makes sense. But how would you know to ask if you weren't aware of it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelanieDickson)
    Okay, that makes sense. But how would you know to ask if you weren't aware of it?
    If I wasn't aware that would be a different story, but I'm sure I'd find out from the friend or another friend that knew about it at some stage. I'd rather know about it early on though so I don't feel like they've hidden it from me.

ReputationRep:
    Oh. Because I wouldn't want to kiss/sleep with someone my friend has kissed/slept with - too weird for me.

What if you knew your partner longer than you knew those friends?

Kinda complicated timeline, but basically I introduced my partner to these 'exes' (if you can call them that) as my friends before I was going out with him. He became good friends with them too. I didn't tell him what happened in the past because we weren't going out and it was none of his business. Now we're in a relationship, I feel like I should backtrack and tell him what actually happened.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.