Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I would really appreciate some help!

Recently my just over a year old laptop backed in so I am on the hunt for a new laptop. After two poor experiences from Windows pcs I like the idea of a MacBook, but it would have to be a refurb. I was wondering if you could give me suggestions on whether I need a Mac or other pcs that would fit my criteria I will list below.

I am currently a second year Geography student. However I contribute to a number of music sites and will be interning at these shortly. I also run a blo and edit a seasonal mini magazine. Once I finish this degree I plan on doing a Ma in Journalism. The laptop main use would be for this kind of work as well as general web browsing. The budget would be £500 and lower would be great!

I am pretty clueless so it would be great if someone could give me an insightful guide into what I need!i would also appreciate links to retailers and opinions on macs vs window!

Thank you very much,
    Sam

ReputationRep:
    It depends what kind of editing you do really. Mac is by far the superior choice when it comes to graphic design and all that, however if you are only re-wording articles or moving content a standard windows laptop/desktop would suffice.

Also, I don't think you can get a decent Mac around the £500 mark, and if you do operating system updates won't be supported for very long (if at all) after purchasing it. That's the beauty of Windows, it's sold as its own product and therefore if Microsoft update it you will always get the update regardless of how old your machine is.

For a laptop just over a year old to die is very strange. In what way has it given up, they are generally very simple to bring back to life. I've had my Toshiba Satellite for about 5 or 6 years now and whenever it shows signs of dying I look at where the problem is and fix it, it's had 3 hard drives, new RAM, wireless LAN card and several operating system rebuilds. I would strongly suggest looking at the manufacturer's warranty terms too as you may be in luck and have a two year warranty with it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sadly the warranty was only a year and the motherboard completely went. The editing would mainly be text based but maybe the odd tweaking of a layout. I could extend my price if need be.

(Original post by Ste_Wilko)
    It depends what kind of editing you do really. Mac is by far the superior choice when it comes to graphic design and all that, however if you are only re-wording articles or moving content a standard windows laptop/desktop would suffice.

Also, I don't think you can get a decent Mac around the £500 mark, and if you do operating system updates won't be supported for very long (if at all) after purchasing it. That's the beauty of Windows, it's sold as its own product and therefore if Microsoft update it you will always get the update regardless of how old your machine is.

For a laptop just over a year old to die is very strange. In what way has it given up, they are generally very simple to bring back to life. I've had my Toshiba Satellite for about 5 or 6 years now and whenever it shows signs of dying I look at where the problem is and fix it, it's had 3 hard drives, new RAM, wireless LAN card and several operating system rebuilds. I would strongly suggest looking at the manufacturer's warranty terms too as you may be in luck and have a two year warranty with it

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.