Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  safetytips.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  98.8 KB

How can men give women safety tips without sounding sexist?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they can. I think rape is caused by mental issues that won't be affected by how a woman dresses or acts.

ReputationRep:
    Please educate yourself on rape. It has recently come to my attention that some folks are having trouble when it comes to learning how not to rape, so I thought I would put together a little 101 for you in the interest of public service.
    I know there's some confusion about what rape actually is; in the media, it's depicted as a stranger jumping out from behind a bush, wearing a ski mask, but most rapists are actually known to their victims, and may in fact be intimate with them. Rape is about unwanted sexual activity, period, and it doesn't have to involve strangers or force.
    Rape is often characterized by confusion, pushing the target into something she doesn't want to do. Rape happens when someone doesn't say yes; or says no, but isn't listened to. It happens when someone isn't in a fit state to consent. It happens when someone who's willing to be pushy about sex carries that attitude to the logical conclusion. Rape is not neat and tidy, sometimes. It often lies between the lines.
    Did a partner not say yes, or indicate consent in some other, clear way? Is a partner clearly uneasy and uncomfortable? Have you talked beforehand about what you both want and expect?
    Are you, perhaps, confused on the finer points of when people are asking for it? (Hint: The answer to this question is "never.")
    Hopefully this list will serve as a helpful guide of just some of the many situations in which it is not okay to rape people.
    1. A short skirt (and/or heels) is not an invitation to rape.
    2. Intoxication is not an invitation to rape.
    3. Being unable to say no is not an invitation to rape.
    4. Being a Native American woman is not an invitation to rape.

5. Being a member of the armed services is not an invitation to rape.
    6. Going to a nightclub is not an invitation to rape.
    7. Working for a military contractor is not an invitation to rape.
    8. Being a student is not an invitation to rape.
    9. Being married is not an invitation to rape.
    10. Being a farmworker is not an invitation to rape.
    11. Being an immigrant is not an invitation to rape.
    12. Seeking medical treatment is not an invitation to rape.
    13. Being a child is not an invitation to rape.

14. Going to college is not an invitation to rape.
    15. Having a promiscuous sexual history is not an invitation to rape.
    16. Being out at night is not an invitation to rape.
    17. Wearing tight pants is not an invitation to rape.
    18. You being drunk and/or high is not an invitation to rape.
    19. Not carrying a gun or other weapon is not an invitation to rape.
    20. Being transgender is not an invitation to rape.
    21. Being a Black woman is not an invitation to rape.
    22. Being a sex worker is not an invitation to rape.
    23. Hitchhiking is not an invitation to rape.
    24. Being in immigration detention is not an invitation to rape.
    25. Being an aboriginal or indigenous woman is not an invitation to rape.
    26. Being disabled is not an invitation to rape.
    27. Being incarcerated is not an invitation to rape.
    28. Having tattoos is not an invitation to rape.
    29. Meeting online is not an invitation to rape.
    30. Being under the influence of drugs is not an invitation to rape.
    31. Enjoying BDSM and kink is not an invitation to rape.
    Nothing, ever, is an invitation to rape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Interactiveapple)
    Please educate yourself on rape. It has recently come to my attention that some folks are having trouble when it comes to learning how not to rape, so I thought I would put together a little 101 for you in the interest of public service.
    I know there's some confusion about what rape actually is; in the media, it's depicted as a stranger jumping out from behind a bush, wearing a ski mask, but most rapists are actually known to their victims, and may in fact be intimate with them. Rape is about unwanted sexual activity, period, and it doesn't have to involve strangers or force.
    Rape is often characterized by confusion, pushing the target into something she doesn't want to do. Rape happens when someone doesn't say yes; or says no, but isn't listened to. It happens when someone isn't in a fit state to consent. It happens when someone who's willing to be pushy about sex carries that attitude to the logical conclusion. Rape is not neat and tidy, sometimes. It often lies between the lines.
    Did a partner not say yes, or indicate consent in some other, clear way? Is a partner clearly uneasy and uncomfortable? Have you talked beforehand about what you both want and expect?
    Are you, perhaps, confused on the finer points of when people are asking for it? (Hint: The answer to this question is "never.")
    Hopefully this list will serve as a helpful guide of just some of the many situations in which it is not okay to rape people.

I think you may have missed one; 'making long lists is not an invitation to rape'.

Don't worry I've got your back

ReputationRep:
    Oh not this thread again.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that the only real way of reducing rape is for the potential victims of it to take precautions. Will taking these precautions stop all rape? Of course not. Is a victim responsible for being raped if she/he doesn't take these precautions? Of course not. And yes I'm aware that most rapes actually are done by a person the victim knows so the standard precautions of being careful when you're out at night (sound advise to anyone mind you not just women) etc. are of limited use, and I'm also aware that there are some alleged ways of mitigating the risk of rape that just make no sense e.g. Not dressing like a 'slut'.

The point is though that the potential victims are the only group whose actions you have much sway over. If ending rape was as simple as telling people it was a bad thing it wouldn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    The only real solutions as far I can see are:

- Curfews on the movement of young people after 8pm. Young women should ideally not be roaming the streets without the presence of a male relative.

- An alcohol free society

- Modest clothing. No visible flesh

- Encourage young women to remain at home rather than in the workplace or college/uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennies4life)

- Curfews on the movement of young people after 8pm. Young women should ideally not be roaming the streets without the presence of a male relative.

- Encourage young women to remain at home rather than in the workplace or college/uni
    Those 'solutions' wouldn't end rape though would they?

Ultimately rape is the fault of the rapist not the victim of the rape.

Obviously certain factors are going to make a person more or less likely to be a victim of rape but you can't say a person is guaranteed not to get raped if they stick to a certain set of rules.

Of course you're considerably more vulnerable if you're intoxicated, in a unfamiliar place and with unfamiliar people but these things don't excuse the rapist.

ReputationRep:

My friend is going to be soooo pissed off when he finishes his medical degree and finds this out.

ReputationRep:

The trouble is that the sort of man who thinks it's okay to rape a woman is generally pretty mentally unstable, and targeting the mentally unstable with "do not rape" campaigns is highly unlikely to work. It therefore makes more sense to target potential victims with sensible advice. Most advice given to women about avoiding rape isn't very sensible though. What you wear, for example, is unlikely to make any difference.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by TheBritishArmy)
    The trouble is that the sort of man who thinks it's okay to rape a woman is generally pretty mentally unstable, and targeting the mentally unstable with "do not rape" campaigns is highly unlikely to work. It therefore makes more sense to target potential victims with sensible advice. Most advice given to women about avoiding rape isn't very sensible though. What you wear, for example, is unlikely to make any difference.
    No they're not. They can be quite stable - they have a poor understanding of what 'rape' is, or think that it isn't a big deal or that the woman is 'asking for it' (:rolleyes:). Lots of quite normal people are capable of rape if for whatever reason they think their actions are acceptable.

ReputationRep:

People like you :facepalm:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Shall we all just step back for a minute and remember that it's not just women who get raped. Men get raped too.

People are often selling idea's that are meant to prevent rape. The real message should be to society not to rape, for example people should be told to be careful to gain clear consent. Like we tell people don't steal or you could get prosecuted. We are in a society that blames the victim not the person who is at fault the person who does the action.

Of course there are things people can do to avoid putting themselves in situations where rape is (statistically) more likely to occur as well as challenging the reasons why those situations carry increased risk.

ReputationRep:
    How to avoid rape? Simple!

If your partner has not expressed an explicit desire to have sex, you do not have sex with them.
    If your partner has passed out, for any reason, you do not have sex with them.
    If your partner is too intoxicated to make an informed decision, you do not have sex with them.
    If your partner changes their mind, mid-sex, you stop having sex with them.

Hurrah! You avoided raping someone.

ReputationRep:

What was the point of that patronising list? Couldn't you have just summarised your point by saying the bit in bold?

ReputationRep:

I'd rep you but can't as I've already done so recently.

(Original post by Kiss)
    Oh not this thread again.
    Why do you have a problem with it? Why do many guys get all pissed about this kind of thing, they take anger towards rapists as a personal attack against all of men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    I'd rep you but can't as I've already done so recently.

Why do you have a problem with it? Why do many guys get all pissed about this kind of thing, they take anger towards rapists as a personal attack against all of men.
    Because the OP already posted two of these threads before hand and made an incredible amount of generalisations against men, only furthering the strongly supported idea that she is a misandranist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennies4life)

Do you actually believe that would stop rape? Sorry to disillusion you but it won't.

I was raped in my own home by a male relative. I was modestly dressed and am always modestly dressed. I have never worn a miniskirt or low cut top. Perhaps I brought it on myself by going to Uni then work. I do apologise for my stupidity:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBritishArmy)
    Spot on. If someone does not want to be killed, they should not go into dark alleys, dangerous streets, or areas known for drug use or crime. We could make a poster telling the criminals "walking at night is not an invitation to kill" but will they care? This is the same for the rapists. They won't care. But they are more likely to rape if you're flaunting your body sexually, dressing indecently, and putting yourself in compromising situations. Note, i do not condone rape in any situation.

ReputationRep:
    I heard women could avoid rape by allowing their body to close up so penetration doesn't work. I heard it from nutters in Bible Belt America so it must obviously be true.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.