Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Societal views on avoiding rape Watch

The majority of rapes are by people the victim knows, not that much the woman can do except cut contact/break up with abusive guy etc. Educating guys would help a little perhaps, some cultures don't value women as equal. Again, in the situation of knowing the rapist, I don't think this will make a massive difference.

In the case of the stereotypical "raped in a dark alley" rape, there IS measures which can be taken to stay safe, like it or not. Yes, these are relatively rare, and yes, women should be able to move freely and safely, and YES, men can be educated to recognise women's equal worth in society but it still happens, this isn't a perfect world and education will only get you so far.

These steps apply to most late night stranger crimes, not just rape which people have a suspect obsession with.

1. Stay away from dark parks, unlit streets and alleys, and dodgy areas if possible.

No lone assailant will rape you, mug you in a packed street. People will be able to help you if you vomit, pass out etc.

2.Try and stay with friends.

Obviously.

3. Clothing does not turn possible criminals on or whatever most probably, but helps them identify their target.

If your dolled up in a pair of heels, your more likely to be drunk/on drugs and unable to run away compared to say, a woman wearing work gear after tending a bar or working in a takeaway. I know who my target would be. However, I'm not saying don't wear what you want, just explaining why others suggest it as a reason people get raped and informing you that it makes you a better target.

4. This bull**** about rape being about power.

Perhaps in the case of relationship rape, yeah. Not stranger rape though. Maybe sexual power, which can be considered a sexual fetish. If it was about power, why not just beat the person up? Or target guys? I believe this is just put forward by feminists to back up the idea of the patriarchy, which no doubt exists.

Again, women should be able to walk where they want, in any state, at any time, alone. But crime happens, and criminals exist. So until it's eradicated, and you want to stay safe and not just make a point, follow these steps (which are prtty obvious anyway)

And guys, DON'T RAPE (can't be called a mysoginist now).

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there is a definitive way for a woman to "avoid" rape, it's to do with the rapist's mind, and it isn't to do with what you're wearing. The only way to be certain is to never leave the house, but I wouldn't recommend this

ReputationRep:
    Rape is about power.

AS for avoiding abusive men, some of them are very good at hiding their true tendencies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RibenaRockstar)
    Yes, in an ideal world, I wouldn’t have to take steps to keep myself safe. In an ideal world I wouldn’t have to get dressed to go out and then think ‘right, am I going to get groped?’ (It’s my bum)

But we don’t live in an ideal world.

And you know what, I’m going to do what I can to try and reduce the risks to myself. Of mugging and groping and so on as well as complete rape - I acknowledge that if someone really wants to rape there’s not much I can do to stop that in the way I dress or behave, but I can make myself look like less of a target for muggings and make my bum look less gropeable… that’s just sensible, and a way to deal with our non-ideal world… isn’t it?
    I was going to post pretty much the same thing. You put it much better than I would have though.

Part of the problem is that people get accused of "victim blaming" if they ever point what steps women can take to reduce the risk. It's terrible that those steps are sometimes necessary, but that's the world we live in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Interactiveapple)
    Nothing, ever, is an invitation to rape.
    Not even an invitation to rape?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I was going to post pretty much the same thing. You put it much better than I would have though.

Part of the problem is that people get accused of "victim blaming" if they ever point what steps women can take to reduce the risk. It's terrible that those steps are sometimes necessary, but that's the world we live in.
    Yes, exactly! There was a girl on my corridor who was followed home from a night out a few weeks ago (she rang security and was fine, don't worry) but my first reaction was to ask what she was wearing - purely to try and work out whether I need to worry. If she had a lot of skin out, and I never do, then I don't feel like I need to worry about it so much.

I did see some post saying that risk mitigation is basically getting the guy to rape a different girl... well, as long as they're not raping me? I feel awful, but -_-

I'm a complete feminist, Legally Blonde is my bible and Elle Woods my idol, I love pink.... but I'm sensible and I deal with the risks that just do exist in this world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    Not even an invitation to rape?
    It isn't rape if they've extended an invitation....

(rape is non consensual)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AhzhaK)

Perhaps in the case of relationship rape, yeah. Not stranger rape though. Maybe sexual power, which can be considered a sexual fetish. If it was about power, why not just beat the person up? Or target guys? I believe this is just put forward by feminists to back up the idea of the patriarchy, which no doubt exists.
    Because rape is considered the ultimate humiliation, ultimate loss of control over your own body, carries a greater stigma in being a victim of it therefore the rapist often sees it as offering them greater control over the victim.

Skimpy clothing is often used by defence lawyers in court. They ask what the victim was wearing, even going as far as their underwear, conveniently forgetting the rapist wouldn't have seen the underwear had they not raped. It prolongs the agony and extends the humiliation and control the rapist has over their victim's life, in one case it led to the victims suicide.

(Original post by shonaT)
    Because rape is considered the ultimate humiliation, ultimate loss of control over your own body, carries a greater stigma in being a victim of it therefore the rapist often sees it as offering them greater control over the victim.

Skimpy clothing is often used by defence lawyers in court. They ask what the victim was wearing, even going as far as their underwear, conveniently forgetting the rapist wouldn't have seen the underwear had they not raped. It prolongs the agony and extends the humiliation and control the rapist has over their victim's life, in one case it led to the victims suicide.
    Why are rape victims mostly young women ie most sexually attractive group? If it was all about power stranger rapes would probably target old women, disabled women, younger schoolkids etc.

Don't understand you're point about clothing, unless it's unconnected to my post. I fear more than just one victim has killed themselves, I take it you're referring to Francis Andrade?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As the Reclaim The Night project attendees often well put it..

"Whatever we wear, wherever we go, yes means yes and no means no."

It's not about what you wear or how you act. Why should a woman's freedom of expression be restricted by the behaviour of a minority of men intent on rape? All it serves to do is encourage women to live in fear and does nothing to help with the every day subconscious oppression the majority of society is happy to knock out.

ReputationRep:
    No I was referring to Lindsay Armstrong, she was only 15 and completely humiliated in court.

The clothing comment was a general one. Children, older and disabled people are raped but they are even less likely to report it. Rape is a massively under reported crime partly due to the way society perceives victims. I didn't report mine because I knew no matter what people would try and find a way to blame me for it.

ReputationRep:
    No I was referring to Lindsay Armstrong, she was only 15 and completely humiliated in court.

The clothing comment was a general one. Children, older and disabled people are raped but they are even less likely to report it. Rape is a massively under reported crime partly due to the way society perceives victims. I didn't report mine because I knew no matter what people would try and find a way to blame me for it.
    Lindsay Armstrong, the one on the news? She still got the rapist in prison. Her suicide was bad, but the boy still got convicted, the lawyer defending the rapist has to defend the offender even when the lawyer doesn't really want to, it's the lawyer's job to do so.

Well, actually, the conviction rate for rape is very high in court at almost 60% of all cases are found guilty. And to be honest the lawyer defending the alleged will try to stop the conviction, that's how the law works, the same way as the lawyer trying to prove guilty is going to try and find as many ways as possible to get the defendant the hardest punishment.

And if anything I actually think that by saying there's no point in reporting it because of the myth that the conviction rate is low actually makes me more angry than the people saying don't wear revealing clothes you let the rapists get away with it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you have a nice house dont leave the front door open. Try to hide it as much with nice trees or a big hedge.

ReputationRep:
    If they try it, just lay back and accept it - that way isn't technically rape.

Sorry, pardon my dark humour, seriously:

I would say just to avoid strangers, especially if you're on your own after dark (same applies to other things that could happen to you like murder, assault, etc.). If you can, stay in an area with lots of friendly people around.

Sorry about my advice not being all that great, it's the best I can give.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jreid1994)
    Lindsay Armstrong, the one on the news? She still got the rapist in prison. Her suicide was bad, but the boy still got convicted, the lawyer defending the rapist has to defend the offender even when the lawyer doesn't really want to, it's the lawyer's job to do so.

Well, actually, the conviction rate for rape is very high in court at almost 60% of all cases are found guilty. And to be honest the lawyer defending the alleged will try to stop the conviction, that's how the law works, the same way as the lawyer trying to prove guilty is going to try and find as many ways as possible to get the defendant the hardest punishment.

And if anything I actually think that by saying there's no point in reporting it because of the myth that the conviction rate is low actually makes me more angry than the people saying don't wear revealing clothes you let the rapists get away with it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said the REPORTING rate is low not the conviction rate. It's not just the thought of what may happen in court that puts people off reporting. It's what their neighbours, colleagues and friends may say when they find out. It's like a dirty secret.

ReputationRep:
    These threads should come with trigger warnings, why do they keep popping up on TSR? have you guys not debated the rape issue in enough depth yet?

ReputationRep:
    Ugh rape is rape. Girl or boy (yes boys get raped too!) doesn't consent then it is rape! End of. Unless you're clear that the person is consenting and they're in a fit state to consent then you shouldn't have sex with them.

There is no "invitation" for rape and only people who say that there is are those who want to rape & make excuses or those who want to push their conservatively dressed views on society. (Don't get me wrong- I do question why people wear ugly pieces of cloth out but purely from a fashion and feck it's cold outside point of view).

ReputationRep:
    I know I'll be slated for this , but I believe that the only way to reduce rapes is to form a population of people less likely to rape.

Rape isn't about sex-It's about power and control-people who have a desire for this and no way to fulfil it, are more likely to rape.

Sure they'd be some slip through the net-but if the benefits system was sorted out so that the UK didn't breed thousands of useless individuals with no need to work (because their parents set an example of how you earn less if you go to work than if you don't), I think this would reduce rape.
    If people of a calibre that turns to drugs and alcohol for their fulfillments, because there's nothing else available to them in their poor environment-were fewer, then there would be less rape.
    If people who had kids had them because they wanted to bring them up correctly, and not because their gene pool was so chlorinated that they had nothing but a desire for a free flat, then that would reduce rapes.
    Decent people don't rape.

And to back up what people have said already-rape is usually by one who knows one. I was raped by an ex partner-he wanted to hurt me and humiliate me. Sure we'd had sex before-but he used it as a punishment. That scenario is more common than somebody lurking down a dark alleyway.

ReputationRep:
    I said the REPORTING rate is low not the conviction rate. It's not just the thought of what may happen in court that puts people off reporting. It's what their neighbours, colleagues and friends may say when they find out. It's like a dirty secret.
    And also, people don't always know what is illegal for things further down the scale of sexual assault - I was groped by a leader at my drama club when I was 17. I grumbled a bit and made sure the committee who ran the club knew, but didn't do anything else. If I'd known that what he did was illegal I might have reported him to the police. He bloody deserved it.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.