Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Regarding social media use - directly affects some users of TSR. If you are a practicing doctor, looks like you're going to have to put your name in your signature!

I can't see any reason for this. Most health professionals have the sense of mind to just recommend people go to their GP. Are there any examples of people anonymously claiming to be doctors and giving out health advice? Furthermore, if these people exist has anything gone wrong as a result?

How do they intend on holding people accountable for being unaccountable? It will probably end in the demise of many funny facebook pages (Dr Rant etc).

"If you give a man a mask, he will show you his true face"
    - Oscar Wilde paraphrased I know lol

http://www.gmc-uk.org/Doctors__use_o...f_51448306.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Seems fair to me

Anonymity

17 If you identify yourself as a doctor in publicly
    accessible social media, you should also identify
    yourself by name. Any material written by
    authors who represent themselves as doctors is
    likely to be taken on trust and may reasonably
    be taken to represent the views of the profession
    more widely.‡

18 You should also be aware that content uploaded
    anonymously can, in many cases, be traced back
    to its point of origin.§
    Quite a few TSR users who are medics give what might broadly be termed medical advice in the health forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    Seems fair to me

Quite a few TSR users who are medics give what might broadly be termed medical advice in the health forum.
    Re-assuring someone that their headache isn't a brain tumour isn't "medical advice". I think most medics have the sense to always just recommend people to go and see their GP, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happydude)
    Regarding social media use - directly affects some users of TSR. If you are a practicing doctor, looks like you're going to have to put your name in your signature!
    Only if you identify publically as a doctor. Aside from implicitly by posting on this subforum, I (and many other 'not-doctors') don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    Only if you identify publically as a doctor. Aside from implicitly by posting on this subforum, I (and many other 'not-doctors') don't.
    Apologies, I should have clarified that I was referring to TSR users that identify themselves as doctors.

How are the GMC going to supposedly hunt you down if you don't name yourself when identifying as a doctor?

ReputationRep:
    It says "should", not "must". My understanding from reading a lot of chat on Twitter is that so long as you're not breaking any other guidance it doesn't matter. If you were posting anonymously or under a pseudonym and breaking another guideline, for example giving dangerous medical advice, the fact that you did so anonymously would count badly against you in FtP proceedings.

ReputationRep:
    Is it illegal for someone to claim to be a doctor on the internet when they aren't? The policy sounds fair enough, as long as its not just actual doctors getting punished - its impersonators too. Not that i anticipate anyone actually enforcing this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    It says "should", not "must". My understanding from reading a lot of chat on Twitter is that so long as you're not breaking any other guidance it doesn't matter. If you were posting anonymously or under a pseudonym and breaking another guideline, for example giving dangerous medical advice, the fact that you did so anonymously would count badly against you in FtP proceedings.
    Absolutely. Most of the interesting anonymous accounts aren't there to give medical advice of any kind, rather they offer an insight into that person's clinical experience!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.