Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Basically I've been with my boyfriend for 7 months or so now, it's long distance but I see him every 2 weeks from Thursday-Sunday, so it isn't too bad.
    We also keep in contact by skype, but I'm starting to feel a little bit trapped.

I'm online quite often, and when ever I'm online, he wants to talk on skype. I have no problems with talking, but the fact is we don't always talk, we sometimes sit there for hours in silence, only talking very occasionally, and I have a problem with that, I find silence very awkward but he says he's happy to just be in a call with me. I try to start a conversation sometimes but he just makes a noise like he isn't really interested most of the time. I'm not able to listen to music or watch anything in case he speaks because I wouldn't be able to hear.

He sometimes will join another call on another messaging service and be talking to friends on there while I'm still in a call with him, and when I mention going into another call or joining in that one, he says "no I'll just talk to you".

I'm currently on Easter holidays but he isn't, he stayed up all night so he could talk to me on skype, I know this is sweet and all, but I was kind of hoping I'd just be able to relax and watch a movie, I feel pretty horrible saying this.

He's also mentioned that it bothers him when I talk to some of my male friends, he's not asked me to stop but I still feel a bit wary.

Is it wrong of me to feel like this? I don't want to end the relationship but I feel a bit smothered.

ReputationRep:
    Just talk to him about it and if you don't want to, make excuses to not go on Skype such as your doing work.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Talk to him and nip it in the bud, if it doesn't work get out, it'll just get worse.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to end the relationship, just talk to him.

Relationships are about compromise, and silence is golden, it wouldn't hurt you to go along with it, but the same applies to him that he should do things you want to do.

(Original post by Aries1992)
    Just talk to him about it and if you don't want to, make excuses to not go on Skype such as your doing work.

I don't really want to lie about it, plus even if I'm doing work he'll insist on staying in a call because we "don't have to talk" and he says he just likes being in a call with me? I personally find the silence very awkward.

(Original post by tashazzz)
    Talk to him and nip it in the bud, if it doesn't work get out, it'll just get worse.
    I'm not sure how to bring it up, saying I need more space might sound like I'm wanting to break up which I'm not, and I'm pretty sure no matter how I word it he'll be really offended

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm not sure how to bring it up, saying I need more space might sound like I'm wanting to break up which I'm not, and I'm pretty sure no matter how I word it he'll be really offended
    He will be offended but just make sure you explain it's got nothing to do with breaking up or needing a break you just want some space.

• TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Just say there are a couple nights where you just want to chill out and reassure him it is not because you are falling out of love with him.

ReputationRep:
    Well you need to tell him what you have told us......

ReputationRep:
    To be fair you see him a lot more often then some couples that I know see each other by choice. What is the need to skype every night? Why not just a brief phonecall every 2-3 days, that way you won't get trapped on skype unable to do anything without having to explain your every movement.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.