Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm currently studying maths, further maths, physics and economics for my a levels. I'm interested in doing Environmental Geoscience, but I'm not sure if it will suit me as there are other options like Geology, Geophysics and Earth Sciences as well.

Can you point out the main details/differences between each one for me?

Cheers
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by gsupa)
    Hi,

I'm currently studying maths, further maths, physics and economics for my a levels. I'm interested in doing Environmental Geoscience, but I'm not sure if it will suit me as there are other options like Geology, Geophysics and Earth Sciences as well.

Cheers
    I don't know much about other departments, but I can explain how it works at Imperial:

Everyone follows pretty much the same course in year 1. Which courses you take also depends on your A levels - people without an important A level (e.g. Maths) will have to take a course to catch up.

In year 2 the geophysics people have more maths/physics modules (e.g. seismics). The geologists will have more rock observation type modules (e.g. looking at rocks under a microscope, structural). People on the geology course also have to do a massive mapping project. The environmental geoscience people will have some more environment related modules. Earth Science is the department's miscellaneous degree - basically if the modules you have selected don't quite fit any of the other degree paths, then you get an Earth Sciences degree. So with Earth Science your modules could be as muddled as you want really. You can't apply for this course though. There will still be a lot of overlap between courses - everyone is learning programming for example.

In 3rd & 4th year the modules will be very different for each course.

There is quite a lot of flexibility. In 2nd year a lot of people have switched courses, depending on their interests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gsupa)
    Hi,

Cheers
    Hi there!

At St Andrews we've traditionally had two degrees (Geology & Environmental Geoscience which has been renamed to Environmental Earth Science). They're exactly the same in 1st and 2nd year, and depending on what you fancy when you know more about 3rd and 4th year you can switch between them. In 3rd year you take an Environmental Geoscience module, and while on fieldtrips work on more environmental problems (so instead of geological mapping you can be mapping the wider features, assessing the effect of glaciology and working with rock-influenced water chemistry). With Enviro there's also the opportunity to dip over into Physical Geography and pick up some modules there.

It all depends what your eventual goal is really! At St Andrews you have the flexibility to choose once you know what your interests are (I'm an ex-geographer!).

If you want more specific information, see links about Enviro Earth Sci and Geology

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2013
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.