Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically I'm on tesco mobile. I've always used wifi when I could but me and my dad are moving in a flat and he said he can't afford internet. I'm on pay as you go and last month I used up the 500mb of internet I was on on 500mb internet bundle. I want to be able to use facebook for chatting to friends when I'm at flat and not somewhere where there is wifi. I also would like to use some meesengers like kik and use google chrome for research or stuff & also apps such as twitter and instagram. Is it likely that 1GB internet would last a month for me? I have the sony xperia miro which is an android phone if that helps/

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I live on 5gb a month, and that's barely enough. You'll seriously struggle with just 1, especially if you're accessing digital media and viewing large PDFs for research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phantasmagorical)
    Hi! I live on 5gb a month, and that's barely enough. You'll seriously struggle with just 1, especially if you're accessing digital media and viewing large PDFs for research.
    I think I'll use wifi in places for digital media such as video's and music, and I doubt I'll be opening PDF's just web pages if that helps

ReputationRep:
    Purely for mobile type things like casual surfing and never downloading anything? Sure, I have 500mb and it lasts me the month. I do stay on the university WiFi where possible though. I download a few PDFs each day for lectures and just general surfing.

For use as a tether for a laptop or for doing lots of downloads? Unlikely. You'd have to be so careful and keep monitoring it. I have a little counter on my desktop to tell me how much data I've used today through WiFi and I'm already at 1.22GB. Usually it is far higher. I could easily get through 100GB a month on my desktop.

I too have the Miro (I needed a cheap phone for a few months) but the main thing is that you run Android. Go through the settings, especially for online services such as Google Play (the app store) and make sure that it's set "not" to download updates except through WiFi. Do similar for account syncing, etc. Just double check that apps aren't doing any downloading in the background and be aware of your usage. 500mb should be fine for most provided you're sensible. Android also has data options which you can set up to warn you when you're about to go over your data limit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iJess)
    Basically I'm on tesco mobile. I've always used wifi when I could but me and my dad are moving in a flat and he said he can't afford internet. I'm on pay as you go and last month I used up the 500mb of internet I was on on 500mb internet bundle. I want to be able to use facebook for chatting to friends when I'm at flat and not somewhere where there is wifi. I also would like to use some meesengers like kik and use google chrome for research or stuff & also apps such as twitter and instagram. Is it likely that 1GB internet would last a month for me? I have the sony xperia miro which is an android phone if that helps/
    Have you considered joining a network like Giff Gaff. They use the same network as tesco mobile (o2) and offer 200 mins/unl texts and unlimited data for £12pm. (400 mins for £15). So if you're happy with O2 internet speeds then it'll be fine.

Or you could join Three and get the same deal for £12.90pm on a rolling contract. Three are better for the internet compared to giff gaff and much faster but that's location dependant. Three also do unlimited on pay as you go from £15 with 300 minutes/unl texts.

You can keep your number when you join any of these networks. With the unlimited data you don't have to worry about going over your allowance.

One quick question. Do you tether your phone to your PC?

ReputationRep:
    You might just make it, then! Though, I reckon you'll only have about 40mb a day to use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iJess)
    Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 3102
Size:  6.1 KB
    Hopefully that should help you out. Obviously you can work out higher amounts of data too if you need to.

Edit: Why the neg? I know i posted the table wrong first time round!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    Purely for mobile type things like casual surfing and never downloading anything? Sure, I have 500mb and it lasts me the month. I do stay on the university WiFi where possible though. I download a few PDFs each day for lectures and just general surfing.

For use as a tether for a laptop or for doing lots of downloads? Unlikely. You'd have to be so careful and keep monitoring it. I have a little counter on my desktop to tell me how much data I've used today through WiFi and I'm already at 1.22GB. Usually it is far higher. I could easily get through 100GB a month on my desktop.

I too have the Miro (I needed a cheap phone for a few months) but the main thing is that you run Android. Go through the settings, especially for online services such as Google Play (the app store) and make sure that it's set "not" to download updates except through WiFi. Do similar for account syncing, etc. Just double check that apps aren't doing any downloading in the background and be aware of your usage. 500mb should be fine for most provided you're sensible. Android also has data options which you can set up to warn you when you're about to go over your data limit.
    This was a helpful answer thank you. On the miro there is actually a data usage thing in my settings that I was using before, I just have to set it from the dates I need to know how much data I've used between

(Original post by Sum Gai)
    Have you considered joining a network like Giff Gaff. They use the same network as tesco mobile (o2) and offer 200 mins/unl texts and unlimited data for £12pm. (400 mins for £15). So if you're happy with O2 internet speeds then it'll be fine.

Or you could join Three and get the same deal for £12.90pm on a rolling contract. Three are better for the internet compared to giff gaff and much faster but that's location dependant. Three also do unlimited on pay as you go from £15 with 300 minutes/unl texts.

You can keep your number when you join any of these networks. With the unlimited data you don't have to worry about going over your allowance.

One quick question. Do you tether your phone to your PC?
    As tesco mobile runs off the 02 network and giffgaff does too I tried putting a giffgaff simcard in my phone and it won't work, I got told my phone is too new to be unlocked yet I just googled what tethering means, I've never heard that before and didn't know it was possible so no I haven't done that, I learn something new everyday haha

(Original post by luke_n)
    Hopefully that should help you out. Obviously you can work out higher amounts of data too if you need to.
    That was rather confusing to read but thank you anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luke_n)

Edit: Why the neg? I know i posted the table wrong first time round!
    That table is a bit misleading as each line corresponds to 1GB usage. For example downloading 200 songs could be 1GB. The rest will correspond to 1GB as well. So to be honest you can only do one thing at a time with that table. (i explained that badly :P)

Ah yes. I forgot Tesco have the worst unlocking policy with an extortionate fee to unlock your phone (£20). That's unlucky. You could try a "market stall" unlocker but only as a last resort.

1GB should be enough but as long as you ration it by looking at your data usage. If you find you need more then it might be worth unlocking your phone and moving network.

ReputationRep:
    That table is a bit misleading as each line corresponds to 1GB usage. For example downloading 200 songs could be 1GB. The rest will correspond to 1GB as well. So to be honest you can only do one thing at a time with that table. (i explained that badly :P)

Ah yes. I forgot Tesco have the worst unlocking policy with an extortionate fee to unlock your phone. That's unlucky. You could try a "market stall" unlocker but only as a last resort.

1GB should be enough but as long as you ration it by looking at your data usage. If you find you need more then it might be worth unlocking your phone and moving network.
    Yeah to start with I thought as both networks are based off 02 that it might not have needed unlocking for giffgaff but I was wrong Think I will try this tbh. I really like tesco though, for £15 a month on pay as you go I get 120 free minutes, £45 free credit, 5000 free texts and 1GB of internet, thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I get what you mean, I should have screenshot the bit that said they are the maximum you can get for each separate one for that amount of data, not all together haha :oops:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iJess)
    Yeah to start with I thought as both networks are based off 02 that it might not have needed unlocking for giffgaff but I was wrong Think I will try this tbh. I really like tesco though, for £15 a month on pay as you go I get 120 free minutes, £45 free credit, 5000 free texts and 1GB of internet, thank you for your help
    £45 credit sounds a lot but at 25p a minute that only equals 180 extra minutes (so 300 mins total) for £15pm. you can get better deals from networks like Virgin who offer 1200 mins/3000 texts and 1GB data for £12pm. Or Giff Gaff who offer 400 mins and unl texts/data for £15pm.

(sorry, i'm a bargain hunter haha)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.