Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, just put aber as my firm choice as a result of a unconditional offer, and as such have been starting to glance over accommodation.

one thing that i am having issues doing, despite the exhaustive video tours, is understanding what the social life is like at the different residences, for example, some older posts referring to last year suggest that Trefloyne is a quieter residence.

it would be a massive help to those coming to aber next year to get some opinions of the social life at the different residences?

for example, as a party loving student looking at self catered non en-suit rooms, i am at a loss to try and figure out were the best "social hub" is.

Thanks in advance for any responses, if anyone has any questions feel free to post them aswell and i will merge them into this post, or answer them myself if i can!

Vern.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vernay)
    -
    I'm in the process of making video tours for all the different halls at Aber. The videos by Aber Insiders are old and the group folded a while back. I'll let you all know on here when and where you can find them.

The social life is basically the same in the different residences in any university to be fair. Everyone thinks that their halls are/were the best so there isn't an outside view on the halls.

All of the halls have flat/house parties, so choosing different halls based on social life isn't the best of ideas. All of the halls will have that nightmare flat or that goody-two-shoes flat, but remember that reputations are built on a year by year basis. That block that has a open door policy and always have parties one year, might be the quietest next year.

'My' halls are Cwrt Mawr so I have most my memories from inside them, but friends who have Rosser, Trefloyne, PJM, Pantycelyn, Alexander Halls and the other seafront residences as 'their' halls will obviously have the most memories from them. It's all subjective and it changes year on year, so it's impossible to judge which halls has the best 'social hub'.

There isn't much point in worrying over the different halls, since you can't specify the halls that you are placed in. Sorry to pretty much kill this thread in the second post, but I want to make you aware of the things I've wrote above.

Only myself and the others named in the 'Meet Our Moderators' can merge posts on this forum. I guess you mean that you will copy and paste posts into your own?

ReputationRep:
    Penbryn is a really social Hall, however, it's not a lot of people's first choice as it's catered. I've also lived/am living in PJM, and I've found it a little less social than Penbryn, but I think that's simply down to the number of people in the house. As The Optimistic Ram said, there's no real 'anti-scoial' Hall. Seafront and PJM have a more 'friends living in a house' feel, and places like Cwrt Mawr and Penbryn feel a bit more like, well I don't know really There's just more people around, so there's always someone to chill with in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    I'd definately say it depends on the people you live with rather than what halls you are in, I am in Rosser and the people in my flat are all relatively quiet including me, so it suits me brilliantly as I don't go out alot as I do sports instead, but you will find that other flats have a mix of people, no one hall is more social than others I would say

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Trefloyne. I wouldn't say it necessarily houses quieter people, but I think because there's less of us that it would seem quieter compared to Cwrt Mawr.

Also, generally speaking, Trefloyne houses older students (my flat are between the ages of 21-24) and Cwrt Mawr has younger, recent college-leavers (18+). So that might be why.

ReputationRep:
    My brother went to Pantycelyn and he was there for two years... It's where I'm hoping to be staying... In my first year at least!! But it's the "Welsh" halls so... I guess... If you don't speak Welsh it might be a bit... Difficult?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would say cwrt mawr would be the "social central" because you are housed with 9 people in the flat altogether, in pjm its a maximum of 6 to a house I guess the more people you're housed with the bigger the chance there is you'll be housed with people that you get on with, this really helps with having house parties and stuff like that, theres nothing worse than living with people that you dont get on with or dont speak to them because they keep to themselves. When freshers begin just go to all the parties and clubs possible get out as much as possible this way you meet more people and it wouldn't really matter about the accommodation then I'm a fresher at the moment and I live in pjm but if I could choose I'd choose cwrt mawr; theres more people in a house, its on the university campus (meaning you get more of a lie in before your lectures!) and the majority of parties are in cwrt mawr!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm (hopefully) going to Aberystwyth with a very close friend and we would very much like to be in residences very near eachother. On one of the visit days I spoke to one of the people who gave a talk about accommodation, and they stated that when it came to applying for accommodation, we would be able to indicate this. Where should I put this/what exactly should I put?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRealRasputin)
    Hey, I'm (hopefully) going to Aberystwyth with a very close friend and we would very much like to be in residences very near eachother. On one of the visit days I spoke to one of the people who gave a talk about accommodation, and they stated that when it came to applying for accommodation, we would be able to indicate this. Where should I put this/what exactly should I put?

Many thanks

hey there, on the application form at the bottom ( last box ) is an additional info box.

in there you should explain the situation, and i would suggest putting your friends ucas pin thing? so they can identify you two.

might be worth your friend doing the same

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.