Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey all,

I simply cannot find the strength to voice my discontent, argue with someone over an injustice in public.

How can I change this and become more confident?

I feel like such a chicken.

ReputationRep:
    Imagine all the girls you will get at the end of it...
    Besides, everyone like chicken.

EDIT:
    In all seriousness though, I am assuming you are in the 12-16 bracket and during this stage, I was VERY insecure until I went to another school's sixth form. They were VERY welcoming, I don't suppose you could tell us if you are having this trouble with your friends or family could you?

If friends, it gives you something to express your interests on which can make you seem more like an interesting person. Also, it makes you look less of a doormat and more like someone who knows what they are doing and has confidence which can look rather sexy.

If you are not in this bracket, try and interact with more people to get a more open viewpoint and then try and apply what you have learned to your own argumentative views. =)

EDIT2:
    Whats with the neg?!
    I merely said everyone likes chicken (as in the food) - I swear some people can't take a joke AT ALL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey all,

I simply cannot find the strength to voice my discontent, argue with someone over an injustice in public.

How can I change this and become more confident?

I feel like such a chicken.
    I'm 24 and it doesn't change. But I'm a fully functioning human being and am quite happy with the way I do things. We feel like we're supposed to be really good at confrontation because that's what society demands of us. In reality, most confrontations are silly and animalistic. When something really does piss you off - really - then you certainly won't shy away from telling that person, in a fine few perfectly arranged words.

Also I've always believed that if I take up Kung Fu or something, I'd be more willing to get into the silly snarling sort of arguments you're probably on about. Physical confidence probably helps a lot.

For now though I'm quite happy being the guy who never gets angry. I enjoy seeing the ridiculousness and simplicity of most people's quarrels.

No-one thinks less of us for who we are; it's just about self-perception.

And, it doesn't take an angry tone of voice to say 'no' or stand up to something. Just do things your own way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It'll change slowly as you collect more life experience but the tendency will always remain. Doesn't mean you
    can't have a good life and be a respected personality though.

ReputationRep:
    Don't care about what anyone thinks about you.
    If you're still young and are yet to choose GCSE subjects, Drama will help you in this case.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.