Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

rape victim bullied on twitter Watch

ReputationRep:
    And people say rape culture doesn't exist... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I don't think being a keyboard warrior comes into it - sure some people will say things online that they wouldn't dare say to people's faces, but I've had comments like this directed at me in real life.

What scares me the most is that the people with these opinions could quite likely go on to rape somebody someday, because they clearly don't have any respect for women in vulnerable positions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Interactiveapple)
    Some Mra's talk a lot about the myth of rape and how women lie, and also promote slut shaming. Any other ideas where these attitudes come from?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qqfrDtU
    That does happen.

and as for that video - 88 views and the opening credits state that its deliberately controversial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edithwashere)

Seriously though, I don't think being a keyboard warrior comes into it - sure some people will say things online that they wouldn't dare say to people's faces, but I've had comments like this directed at me in real life.

What scares me the most is that the people with these opinions could quite likely go on to rape somebody someday, because they clearly don't have any respect for women in vulnerable positions.
    I would disagree in part - id say a lot of them are like teh red gem losers on here. Big mouths behind a computer screen but in real life - very different.

Of course theres always a few of them to watch out for............

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    I would disagree in part - id say a lot of them are like teh red gem losers on here. Big mouths behind a computer screen but in real life - very different.

Of course theres always a few of them to watch out for............
    I'd hope that they're just all mouth, but if one truly believes that a drunk woman in a short skirt deserves to be raped, then what's stopping them from doing the raping, since she "deserves" it or is "asking for it"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    They deserve to get raped for saying someone deserved to get raped?
    yupp. it's easy for you to sit and defend them now but I bet you'd have a very different stance if that was your daughter or sister who was the victim.

ReputationRep:
    I'd hope that they're just all mouth, but if one truly believes that a drunk woman in a short skirt deserves to be raped, then what's stopping them from doing the raping, since she "deserves" it or is "asking for it"?
    because there is a difference between doing something and saying you will do something.

Im not saying that none of them would rape her because of that misguided belief but a lot of internet tough guys are all talk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    because there is a difference between doing something and saying you will do something.

Im not saying that none of them would rape her because of that misguided belief but a lot of internet tough guys are all talk
    This article goes into the matter in quite a lot of depth if you're interested, I definitely think internet misogyny is a huge problem, rape culture being just a part of it http://www.huffingtonpost.com/soraya...b_2931720.html

ReputationRep:
    This shows exactly how the disgusting people of this Earth have changed. WHAT I WEAR OUT ON A NIGHT WITH MY GIRLFRINDS SHOULDN'T BE AN INVITATION OF WHETHER I'M GOING TO GET RAPED OR NOT. Are you ****ing kidding? Lots of teenage girls like to have attention, sometimes its actually because they feel lonely and not being they're meglomaniacs. Whether she's a slut or not (meaning she sleeps around a lot, as that is what slut/**** means) I'm sure she wasn't willing to have sex with some random guys. Although, the fact she was drunk will make her statement a lot more unreliable, her wearing what she had or being a slut still shouldn't invite rapists. It's disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    They deserve to get raped for saying someone deserved to get raped?
    I don't think anyone should be raped, but if someone making light fun of rape happens to get raped then the sympathy felt shall be a lot less sincere in my view.

ReputationRep:
    Almost certainly not. Obviously it's a possibility but this is the internet -- people say a lot of things they ordinarily wouldn't because it's a little thrill for them. It doesn't mean they'd act on it.

I've played FPS games online before and people are constantly screaming horrific things at each other. Doesn't mean they'll end up shooting someone in real life or raping my mother (a common insult).

ReputationRep:

Think about it logically for a second, most guys clearly aren't rapists despite what this wide spread "rape culture" would have us believe. And it's not only because they respect women, let's be real here, the average guy doesn't even have the balls to rape a woman because he'd be too scared of the consequences. Yes, you could say the conviction rate for rape is low, but that doesn't come into it.

For the most part, I think you should interpret it for exactly what it is, tough guys talking crap online. Hell, I've even been that "tough guy" in the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Interactiveapple)
    But it isn't anonymous. Most aren't.
    Lol... Keep thinking of tumblr lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amineamine2)
    yupp. it's easy for you to sit and defend them now but I bet you'd have a very different stance if that was your daughter or sister who was the victim.
    Even if the victim was my daughter, sister, son, brother or friend, I still wouldn't want the person taunting them to be raped.

What f your daughter/sister etc. was the one doing the taunting? Should they be raped?

(Original post by MattKneale)
    I don't think anyone should be raped, but if someone making light fun of rape happens to get raped then the sympathy felt shall be a lot less sincere in my view.
    If your saying that under certain circumstances people deserve less sympathy than others, based on what led to their rape. How is that any different to what many of the taunters (specifically the ones saying she was a slut and deserved it) are saying?

ReputationRep:
    If your saying that under certain circumstances people deserve less sympathy than others, based on what led to their rape. How is that any different to what many of the taunters (specifically the ones saying she was a slut and deserved it) are saying?
    Well it was more of a comment on my general outlook on the situation than an actual philosophical argument but the main difference is that the taunters are spewing their hatred towards someone innocent (someone who has not taunted, presumably?). If I taunt the taunters when they get raped, it is not the same since they are not innocent of taunting.

NB: The word 'taunt' has just been severely overused.

ReputationRep:
    No-one is really in a position to comment because they can't really know too much detail about the circumstances or the individuals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therisenmitten)
    There's definitely an increase in men defending people accused of rape. Even on this forum there is a lot of talk about how a girl can "easily ruin a man's life" by accusing them of rape. It is true that false accusations do happen and are a terrible thing, but they certainly don't happen as often as actual rape and people are also very rarely charged if there is no evidence beyond the witness account. I think some people need to sit back and think about how a victims life would be ruined. Maybe if sexual harassment and rape were as much of a problem for males they would understand that it doesn't matter what you wear or drink or how you act. There is no such thing as "asking for it".
    Contrary to your opinion there could be far more false allegations than actual crimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coffinman)
    Contrary to your opinion there could be far more false allegations than actual crimes.
    Speculation unless you can provide any evidence... does this not prove anything? http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...n_2865823.html

Maybe if people actually read into the story... :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Even if the victim was my daughter, sister, son, brother or friend, I still wouldn't want the person taunting them to be raped.

What f your daughter/sister etc. was the one doing the taunting? Should they be raped?

Clearly if they are okay with it, then why should I care? From the tweets, it seems like the people do not view being raped as something serious. Therefore, being raped would not harm them excessively, but only enough to teach them to respect victims. Obviously a very utopian scenario, but still.

ReputationRep:
    Speculation unless you can provide any evidence... does this not prove anything? http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...n_2865823.html
    Thanks, that article is exactly what I was getting at.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.