Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

rape victim bullied on twitter Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therisenmitten)
    Thanks, that article is exactly what I was getting at.
    No problem, it completely disbands his argument in one fell swoop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amineamine2)
    Clearly if they are okay with it, then why should I care? From the tweets, it seems like the people do not view being raped as something serious. Therefore, being raped would not harm them excessively, but only enough to teach them to respect victims. Obviously a very utopian scenario, but still.
    Okay with what?

Also, I don't see how your 'they should be raped for saying people deserve to be raped', is ANY different to them saying 'some people deserve to be raped'. I'm sure they too, are sitting their justifying their desire to see other people harmed, just as you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    Okay with what?

Also, I don't see how your 'they should be raped for saying people deserve to be raped', is ANY different to them saying 'some people deserve to be raped'. I'm sure they too, are sitting their justifying their desire to see other people harmed, just as you are.
    well you have clearly not understood my line of argument, which goes; if the people who twittered those tweets are okay with people getting raped, then surely they wouldn't mind getting raped either? Because their tweets suggets they are ok with rape, and so wouldn't mind being raped either.

ReputationRep:
    Key differences:

Innocent party gets raped. Twitter idiots come out to say she should be raped.

Twitter idiots aren't innocent as they've already mocked rape, but then subsequently get raped. I feel no sympathy for those who have already trivialised it when it happened to someone innocent of trivialising the situation.

ReputationRep:
    I follow quite a few blogs on Tumblr which just post anti-feminist/pro-MRA things. You know how I first heard about this case? Because those blogs exploded in support of the victim and despair at the news channel, and later, at random people like you've shown on twitter.

This has nothing to do with MRA's and everything to do with some awful, awful people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edithwashere)
    No problem, it completely disbands his argument in one fell swoop
    Or, you know, it doesn't.

That article merely states that there are few prosecutions for false reports. Who's to say that 50% of rape allegations that don't result in conviction aren't actually false, but not so overtly or criminally that they lead to their own prosecution?

I'm not for a minute claiming those figures are correct, but read your own article again, it doesn't prove your point, especially if you would be someone who bemoans the low conviction and reporting rate for rape, as you'd be a hypocrite then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Or, you know, it doesn't.

That article merely states that there are few prosecutions for false reports. Who's to say that 50% of rape allegations that don't result in conviction aren't actually false, but not so overtly or criminally that they lead to their own prosecution?

I'm not for a minute claiming those figures are correct, but read your own article again, it doesn't prove your point, especially if you would be someone who bemoans the low conviction and reporting rate for rape, as you'd be a hypocrite then.
    "There were 5,651 prosecutions for rape for the period between January 2011 and May 2012 the study looked at, but only 35 for making false allegations of rape.

Likewise, there were 111,891 prosecutions for domestic violence, but only six for making false allegations of domestic violence.

A further three people were charged with making false allegations of both rape and domestic violence.

The study found that a significant number of these cases involved "young, often vulnerable people, and sometimes even children".

Around half were brought forward by people aged 21 and under, with some involving people with mental health difficulties.

In 38% of those investigations, the initial complaint of rape or domestic violence was made by someone other than the suspect. When the alleged victim was under 18, that figure rose to 50% and often involved a parent.

"From the cases we have analysed, the indication is that it is therefore extremely rare that a suspect deliberately makes a false allegation of rape or domestic violence purely out of malice," Mr Starmer added.

"It is within this context that the issue should be viewed, so that myths and stereotypes around these cases are not able to take hold."

If you're talking about rape accusations which don't involve the police in anyway are commonplace? Because I've never heard of it happening. It's just a myth. Unless you can provide anything to support your argument you're not going to make a good case.

ReputationRep:
    Speculation unless you can provide any evidence... does this not prove anything? http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...n_2865823.html
    That states the number of prosecutions for false allegations. What happens if a person makes a false allegation but there's no proof that this was intentional, e.g. they proved that the alleged rapist was elsewhere at the time of the rape, so it couldn't have been them. They do not know, however, whether the alleged victim was trying to get the alleged rapist done without a crime, however, or whether they were raped and misidentified the rapist.

You may have been led to believe that it's a totally rare thing, such as seeing this infographic by the Enliven Project, using statistics from the Department of Justice’s National Crime Victimization Survey and FBI reports.

It's bs, by the way. That suggests that false rape claims are at a level of 2 in 1000, by putting them at the bottom there in the 'unreported'. The actual amount (from the statistics that the Enliven Project used) is 2-8 in 100, so if we take the median and fix up the infographic, we get:

10% of reported cases are deemed conclusively true. 5% of cases are deemed conclusively false. 85% of reported cases are inconclusive, and could be either way. Details on the fixing of the infographic here. Plenty of other examples of similar responses, e.g. here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    That states the number of prosecutions for false allegations. What happens if a person makes a false allegation but there's no proof that this was intentional, e.g. they proved that the alleged rapist was elsewhere at the time of the rape, so it couldn't have been them. They do not know, however, whether the alleged victim was trying to get the alleged rapist done without a crime, however, or whether they were raped and misidentified the rapist.

You may have been led to believe that it's a totally rare thing, such as seeing this infographic by the Enliven Project, using statistics from the Department of Justice’s National Crime Victimization Survey and FBI reports.

It's bs, by the way. That suggests that false rape claims are at a level of 2 in 1000, by putting them at the bottom there in the 'unreported'. The actual amount (from the statistics that the Enliven Project used) is 2-8 in 100, so if we take the median and fix up the infographic, we get:

10% of reported cases are deemed conclusively true. 5% of cases are deemed conclusively false. 85% of reported cases are inconclusive, and could be either way. Details on the fixing of the infographic here.
    Can you provide a source for that information though? I'm more inclined to believe Mr Stamer on this one I'm afraid. Can you provide a source of the number of false allegations made which don't result in prosecution? How about rapes which are reported which don't result in prosecution... there's a bigger problem here and it's not the false accusations.

ReputationRep:
    Twitter is a load of crap.

ReputationRep:
    Can you provide a source for that information though? I'm more inclined to believe Mr Stamer on this one I'm afraid. Can you provide a source of the number of false allegations made which don't result in prosecution? How about rapes which are reported which don't result in prosecution... there's a bigger problem here and it's not the false accusations.
    "using statistics from the Department of Justice’s National Crime Victimization Survey and FBI reports."

The information is a correct representation of the sources that the Enliven Project used. In your source, less than 1% of cases gets the claimant prosecuted. In these sources, 2-8% are deemed conclusively false allegations, whether or not the claimant is prosecuted. The vast majority of cases don't go either way - in these stats, that's 85%. The biggest problem is that it's hard to have the evidence to establish whether it's true or false.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    "using statistics from the Department of Justice’s National Crime Victimization Survey and FBI reports."

The information is a correct representation of the sources that the Enliven Project used. In your source, less than 1% of cases gets the claimant prosecuted. In these sources, 2-8% are deemed conclusively false allegations, whether or not the claimant is prosecuted. The vast majority of cases don't go either way - in these stats, that's 85%. The biggest problem is that it's hard to have the evidence to establish whether it's true or false.
    That's just what it says on a tumblr page though, there aren't even external links to where he got his stats from. I'm talking about an actual CPS report, referenced in the article I linked.

ReputationRep:
    That's just what it says on a tumblr page though, there aren't even external links to where he got his stats from. I'm talking about an actual CPS report, referenced in the article I linked.
    It's quite a commonly quoted figure, but here's something that I can link you to, from the The National Center for the Prosecution of Violence Against Women. They conclude: "when more methodologically rigorous research has been conducted, estimates for the percentage of false reports begin to converge around 2-8%."

Note that this does not mean that 92-98% of reported rapes are true - I've seen people making that mistake. Most are inconclusive.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe is she wasn't a slut and asking for it, she wouldn't have been raped....may be controversial but just my view!

ReputationRep:
    Just throwing a bone out here but going along with these nice twitter people line for a second if she had infant been 'asking for it' all night how would any of you know either way? She certainly wouldn't it portray it as that and you'd all immediately call the gentleman liars for it... You know just throwing a thought out there, digest it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattKneale)
    Key differences:

Innocent party gets raped. Twitter idiots come out to say she should be raped.

Twitter idiots aren't innocent as they've already mocked rape, but then subsequently get raped. I feel no sympathy for those who have already trivialised it when it happened to someone innocent of trivialising the situation.
    Precisely.

ReputationRep:
    Those are absolutely awful! What don't people understand about rape? You don't choose to get raped. You can wear whatever you want, sleep with whoever you want and drink as much as you want as that is your choice. Being raped takes that consent away from you. What you wear, who you sleep with, how much you drink should have NO effect. It does not mean that you should expect rape. I'm surprised so many girls were writing those statuses as well. Do you not automatically put yourself in the victim's shoes? I've been drunker than that girl and I haven't been raped. Blaming the victim for drinking (whether or not she's underage) is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    Just throwing a bone out here but going along with these nice twitter people line for a second if she had infant been 'asking for it' all night how would any of you know either way? She certainly wouldn't it portray it as that and you'd all immediately call the gentleman liars for it... You know just throwing a thought out there, digest it.
    Drunk =/= consent. Plus, I think the twitter people mean that she was 'asking for it' by what she was wearing and how drunk she was and not that she was literally asking to have sex, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Interactiveapple)
    Why do you think these young men have these views on rape? What caused this? The anti feminist men's rights movements seems like it could hold some responsibility.
    not the biggest fan of police intervening in social media (like you see in those other times e.g. riots), but i can slightly understand if they were to do so here...what are twitters views of offensive posts?

those people are *******s. that said, how do you know if they were being *******s with regards to rape, or if they were being those ******* trolls (like those R.I.P facebook trolls)? or something else

Spoiler:
    Show
    *******s :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S_123)
    Drunk =/= consent. Plus, I think the twitter people mean that she was 'asking for it' by what she was wearing and how drunk she was and not that she was literally asking to have sex, etc.
    Maybe I can't say in familiar with the case so can't comment, merely playing devils advocate and all that.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.