Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why Is St Georges Day Not Celebrated Proudly? watch

ReputationRep:
    As a non-white British citizen, born and bred, frankly I am offended that there is no pomp and circumstance like on St Patrick's Day for example. There only seem to local celebrations and nothing on the scale of St Patrick's.

What's worse is that there is some talk about some discouragement from sappy local councils who are *scared* that some weirdos could be *offended* by the St George's flag. This is shocking!

Therefore, will you celebrate the day and wave the Flag of England proudly? How can people in their own country not display their flag proudly and strongly?

Who in their right mind would be *offended* by countrymen waving their flag in their own country? And why do the native ethnic English (I'm not ethnically English btw) bow so meekly? Is it because such groups as the EDL and the BNP have hijacked such pride and symbols for their own ends?

What do you think?

(Frankly, the Americans, for example, would laugh in your face if you said you were offended by their flag. So would just about any other country in the world. Wave th flag - I'm actually offended that people are discouraged from doing so!)

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand being ashamed of it, BUT at the same time I don't understand why you'd be proud of a flag, and proud to be English etc.

Patriotism and national pride are completely moronic concepts. There is absolutely no reason to be proud of where you just happened to be born.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I don't particularly understand your reasons for wanting it, aside from that others shouldn't be offended by it.

In any case, I don't think we should be encouraging nationalism and would be pleased to see the back of it - it serves no purpose in an international society other than to segregate ourselves and encourage prejudice. We're humans; it doesn't matter where we're born.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    I don't understand being ashamed of it, BUT at the same time I don't understand why you'd be proud of a flag, and proud to be English etc.

Patriotism and national pride are completely moronic concepts. There is absolutely no reason to be proud of where you just happened to be born.
    (Original post by miser)
    I don't particularly understand your reasons for wanting it, aside from that others shouldn't be offended by it.

In any case, I don't think we should be encouraging nationalism and would be pleased to see the back of it - it serves no purpose in an international society other than to segregate ourselves and encourage prejudice. We're humans; it doesn't matter where we're born.
    Of course, I completely agree with both of your points. However, it's more principle than anything. Some of the reasons local councils give for not waving the St George's Cross for example are ludicrous - i.e. people might be *offended*. For example, on the most recent "The Big Questions" on the BBC, a chap was dismissed from his work because his employers were worried that his cross (put on his van window) might offend (as, they said, the demographics of Wakefield [where he worked] had changed considerably).

It's not so much about nationalism, as it is a cultural and religious celebration.

ReputationRep:

But what about being part of a population that achieved great things. Firstly because we share a genetic heritage with most of the population meaning that we have it in us to behave as our fore-bearers who built this country if we were in their position and secondly because all that was achieved was done so with the flag and mindset that you seem to be attacking. Its all gone rather downhill since people like you started on. Luckily as a result nobody really listens to us, and by extension you, anymore..

The truth is that we're being caged precisely because of the potential we have. The thoughts and feelings that let us to our great successes are deliberately being curtailed.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst there's little wrong with taking pride in certain parts of your national heritage, nationalism as a political philosophy would be detrimental to all kinds of things. It inculcates unwavering obedience to 'the flag', perceived superiority over other nations, enmity between nations, provides ample opportunity for politicians to manipulate public opinion in the name of rallying around the flag, in the right circumstances it can subjugate our morals and ethics in order to do what's 'right' for our country, and so on.

So I'm all for taking pride in our achievements (although it has to be said we played no part in many of them), but I harbour no illusions about how nationalism has operated throughout history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green.tea)
    But what about being part of a population that achieved great things. Firstly because we share a genetic heritage with most of the population meaning that we have it in us to behave as our fore-bearers who built this country if we were in their position and secondly because all that was achieved was done so with the flag and mindset that you seem to be attacking. Its all gone rather downhill since people like you started on. Luckily as a result nobody really listens to us, and by extension you, anymore..

The truth is that we're being caged precisely because of the potential we have. The thoughts and feelings that let us to our great successes are deliberately being curtailed.
    Who is responsible for this? What are their motives? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Who is responsible for this? What are their motives? :holmes:
    The self hating left mainly. They don't seem to realise that all theyre doing is destroying their own platform. You can either function in a way that makes you successful and therefore listened to. Or adopt a way of thinking that makes you less successful and not be listened to. Either way the way of thinking that attacks the way we thought when we were successful is doomed to failure and will simply lead to the ideas of others being forced on our weakened nation in the same way that the US is able to force ideology on muslim countries which are weakened by their ideology.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's mostly because England has a history of being an imperial oppressor.

The celebration of St Patrick's, David's, and Andrew's day are symbols of rebellion from our tyranny, and an assertion of their cultural identity within the UK. England has already done that for hundreds of years, through military force.

If we were to celebrate St George's day, it'd come off as us being proud of being absolute ********s.

ReputationRep:
    Because the PC crowd get all antsy and scared that its a bigoted event, even though they proudly celebrate every other culture under the sun except British ones.

There's no reason not to either. You didn't do anything necessarily to be proud of being born into a country you didn't choose but there's no reason to stop you doing something proud for your nation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dakyras)
    I think it's mostly because England has a history of being an imperial oppressor.

The celebration of St Patrick's, David's, and Andrew's day are symbols of rebellion from our tyranny, and an assertion of their cultural identity within the UK. England has already done that for hundreds of years, through military force.

If we were to celebrate St George's day, it'd come off as us being proud of being absolute ********s.
    Your basically apologetic for success and pointing out the difference between todays world and yesterdays as tho we're to blame because we were most successful in the world as it was. Back when weapons were small the whole world engaged in that sort of conflict the only difference is we ruled. If we'd decided it was all terrible all that would've happened is the Spanish would've ruled instead which nicely illustrates my above point.

This world is driven by competition in other areas and the same spirit can be applied to those.

ReputationRep:
    x
    Because it's been hijacked by people with ulterior motives, for example the EDL. Because of them the St George's cross is associated with racism and bigotry. Most of us don't want to align ourselves with that. Many of us also don't really see the big deal with St George's day. Most people who seem to miss it so much, their only reason for celebrating it is that they want to prove that you shouldn't be offended by it, rather than any genuine urge. A lot of these people probably don't even know who St George is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc:))
    Because it's been hijacked by people with ulterior motives, for example the EDL. Because of them the St George's cross is associated with racism and bigotry. Most of us don't want to align ourselves with that. Many of us also don't really see the big deal with St George's day. Most people who seem to miss it so much, their only reason for celebrating it is that they want to prove that you shouldn't be offended by it, rather than any genuine urge. A lot of these people probably don't even know who St George is.
    Well, for me, it's precisely the principle that matters a lot.

I am offended that some local councils actually actively discourage the open and wide appearance of the St George's Cross - and I for one will not hesitate to formally complain to any local council which dares say that it *might* "offend" people and yaps about "changing demographics". Such a protest will be all the more loud and daring because the protester (myself) will be non-White, hence rubbishing their petty "reasons" and empowering those who are actually ethnically English and whatnot.

Such suppression is deeply disturbing and offensive.

ReputationRep:
    As a non-white British citizen, born and bred, frankly I am offended that there is no pomp and circumstance like on St Patrick's Day for example. There only seem to local celebrations and nothing on the scale of St Patrick's.

What's worse is that there is some talk about some discouragement from sappy local councils who are *scared* that some weirdos could be *offended* by the St George's flag. This is shocking!

Therefore, will you celebrate the day and wave the Flag of England proudly? How can people in their own country not display their flag proudly and strongly?

Who in their right mind would be *offended* by countrymen waving their flag in their own country? And why do the native ethnic English (I'm not ethnically English btw) bow so meekly? Is it because such groups as the EDL and the BNP have hijacked such pride and symbols for their own ends?

What do you think?

(Frankly, the Americans, for example, would laugh in your face if you said you were offended by their flag. So would just about any other country in the world. Wave th flag - I'm actually offended that people are discouraged from doing so!)
    I think St. Georges day isn't celebrated because the politicians and the economists think that another bank holiday will weaken the Economy :/.
    I think that's the only reason tbh
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Has anyone posting all offended actually been to Ireland on St. Patricks day? You know that nobody actually celebrates it there right?

Name:  meanwhile-in-ireland-st-patricks-day-meme.jpg
Views: 2837
Size:  116.8 KB

The reason for the difference is that First generation American Irish celebrated it to compensate for their cultural identity. American-English wanted to cut ties with their homeland, so St.Georges day was obviously not celebrated.

Nowadays, thanks to American influences, it's becoming a standard holiday in the same way Halloween has become one for us. Without the media/american influence, you don't get a holiday.

ReputationRep:
    Well, for me, it's precisely the principle that matters a lot.

I am offended that some local councils actually actively discourage the open and wide appearance of the St George's Cross - and I for one will not hesitate to formally complain to any local council which dares say that it *might* "offend" people and yaps about "changing demographics". Such a protest will be all the more loud and daring because the protester (myself) will be non-White, hence rubbishing their petty "reasons" and empowering those who are actually ethnically English and whatnot.

Such suppression is deeply disturbing and offensive.
    Can you name any cases of the St George's flag not being allowed to be shown? Ones in which there were not any other circumstances involved?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.