Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm currently on my Easter break from the University of Bristol. I'm a first-year, studying English literature there, however, for a variety of reasons, I am leaving soon and re-enrolling at UCL this September to study the same subject.

My question concerns Student Finance. I'm aware that I'll be able to get full funding at UCL provided I don't have to retake a year at any point however I'm not sure what will happen to the third instalment of my maintenance loan for this year, the one that I'll receive when I start the summer term. I haven't officially dropped out of Bristol yet as I only received my UCL offer very recently, therefore I'm a bit confused as to what the next steps to take are.

Do I just wait until term starts, receive the third instalment of the loan, drop out and then reapply for student finance beginning next year?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Filoux,

Once you've withdrawn from Bristol they will send us a notice of withdrawal with a withdrawal date attached to it.

The amount of loan you are awarded is based on the number of weeks you study (a full academic year runs from 1 September to 31 August of the previous year) so we will reassess your loan entitlement to reflect the number of weeks you actually attended. This means that you will be overpaid your third instalment and will be required to repay the overpayment back.

Once you have withdrawn from Bristol you should reapply as a new student using the same customer reference right away.

Hope this helps,
    Mark-Lee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
    Hi Filoux,

Once you've withdrawn from Bristol they will send us a notice of withdrawal with a withdrawal date attached to it.

The amount of loan you are awarded is based on the number of weeks you study (a full academic year runs from 1 September to 31 August of the previous year) so we will reassess your loan entitlement to reflect the number of weeks you actually attended. This means that you will be overpaid your third instalment and will be required to repay the overpayment back.

Once you have withdrawn from Bristol you should reapply as a new student using the same customer reference right away.

Hope this helps,
    Mark-Lee
    Thanks Mark-Lee!

When will I be required to pay this overpayment back by?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi again Filoux,

You should be contacted around summer time and asked to set up a payment plan based on your income level.

Thanks,
    Mark-Lee

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.