Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    dw

ReputationRep:
    You can apply for more than one course at the same Uni - I did =]. If your grades are strong then I don't see any reason not to aim as high as Oxbridge although, dependent on your final AS grades, you may want to consider having a course with slightly lower entry requirements as a good insurance choice. Good luck .

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Lunch_Box)
    Anyone else?
    I would swap one of those choices with something less risky- probably one of the UCL courses. Just pick one out of L100 or L101.

ReputationRep:
    I know lots of people with 11 A*'s at GCSE, 5 A's at AS, predicted 4 A*'s and still getting rejected from LSE/Oxbridge etc... So it is very wise to have a backup other than UCL/LSE/Oxbridge/Warwick. But if you insist you wouldn't be happy anywhere else, well it's your risk to take I guess!

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, if that is where you want to go. Then you should apply to go there, there is no sense in applying for somewhere that you're only going to for the sake of going to uni. Odds are you won't be happy there and you'll potentially be taking the place of someone who really wants to go there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the.cookie.monster)
    I would swap one of those choices with something less risky- probably one of the UCL courses. Just pick one out of L100 or L101.
    Yeah they said it's not worth applying to both.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeah they said it's not worth applying to both.
    I would apply to L101- the opportunity to study in the US for a year sounds amazing! I kinda wish I'd applied for it myself this year instead of L100- but take into account that the year abroad is probably a more competitive course.

ReputationRep:
    I would apply to L101- the opportunity to study in the US for a year sounds amazing! I kinda wish I'd applied for it myself this year instead of L100- but take into account that the year abroad is probably a more competitive course.
    Yeah it's definitely harder to get an offer from there.

Where did you apply and what offer have you got for Econ?

ReputationRep:
    I'd switch one of the UCL courses for one outside of the 'top 5', just in case. Looking brilliant on paper unfortunately isn't sufficient for economics, you need luck too!

From what I gather, anecdotally speaking, UCL typically either offer you a place for L100 or L101 and reject you for the other. I haven't heard of anyone getting offers for both courses, although I'd imagine it's possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I believe you should continue with your shortlist if that is what you are happy with. There is no point in applying for lower if you are not happy to go there! But you must be prepared to take a gap year on the chance you get no offers!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeah it's definitely harder to get an offer from there.

Where did you apply and what offer have you got for Econ?
    Yeah but you could balance it out with a less risky fifth option?
    I applied to QMUL, Bristol, Warwick, UCL and LSE and got offers from all of them. I was a bit stupid when choosing my own insurance- but yeah make sure your insurance is still somewhere you would be willing to go to!

ReputationRep:
    I applied for top universities for economics just like you. I ended up not getting an offer from any one of them! I really wish I did put an easier university there just for the choice. Because I was desperate to just go to university that year, I applied through extra.

And I ended up at Lancaster studying economics. And I even got a scholarship there because of my high a levels. I hated it. I knew I could get into a better university, and I would be more strong applying post a level.

I took a year out. I'm now in my final year at UCL, and loved every second of it. But I really regret thinking so highly of myself that I could get offers from those top 5 universities.

So there's my advice for you.

I also recommend changing one of the UCL options. You're eventually going to choose one of them. And when you're at ucl it's easy to change from one to the other (providing high grades etc,)

I also don't see why you'll be happy applying to only these universities. Only because they're top 5? Because they're all SO different from each other. Even LSE is so different from UCL even though they're in London. Cambridge is...well, Cambridge. And warwick's a Campus university amongst other things. Look at the teaching styles, exam structure and modules as well. Again, all very different,

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but you could balance it out with a less risky fifth option?
    I applied to QMUL, Bristol, Warwick, UCL and LSE and got offers from all of them. I was a bit stupid when choosing my own insurance- but yeah make sure your insurance is still somewhere you would be willing to go to!
    Wow very nice! I hope to be in your position next year round.

What were your subjects and UMS?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.