Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Having problems with the combined pill - any advice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I started the combined pill (the brand name is "Levest") nearly 2 years ago when I started going out with my boyfriend. I gained, like, nearly 2 stone within a few months (I ballooned from 8st to nearly 10st), but I've kept with it. I've been eating sensibly and going to the gym 3 times a week, but I can't seem to shift the weight, no matter what I try. It's really weird because I maintained that weight for about 3 years before the pill.

However, that's not the only problem. I can live with being a bit heavier while I'm in a long-term relationship but I've recently started getting migraines. Should I be worried? I don't get them every day - usually just around my period, but also a few times in-between. I’ll be going to the sexy clinic in a few days, but I just wanted to check beforehand whether I should say something about the migraines.

And what about the weight gain? I’m not happy about it and it’s kinda getting me down, but I’d rather be fat than preggo I guess. Should I say something about this issue, or will the nurse just think I’m being vain/silly? (My friend who goes to the same clinic said one of the nurses there was really *****y towards her when she mentioned that she was unhappy with the weight gain issues.)
    Help! Any advice on both matters is welcome, and also any suggestions/experiences with other pills brands/methods of contraception.

ReputationRep:
    definitely mention the migraines. It's important to let the nurses know of any changes that occur during your pill..and migraines are important because of high blood pressure etc.

Bring up the weight gain too. Obviously there is very little the nurse can do but because of the migraines she may suggest trying something different.

If you feel like it isn't working for you, tell her. and if she isn't helping you very much...tell her! lol

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.