Turn on thread page Beta

The (stupid) women's tax watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    OK guys if I were you I'd look away now...all this talk about periods has reminded me of something I'm very angry about.

Tampons, Sanitary Towels, Pantyliners....all necessary items don't ya think? Otherwise it would just be a hygiene nightmare and more...SO you'd think that the Government would consider these things a necessity....right?

Ever noticed that for cotton wool attached to a bit of string, sanitary products are a little dear?
    Well dear did you know that the government slaps a nice 17.5% increase on them? They are "luxury" items that are taxed...just like alcohol, cigarettes....

Now is it just me or is that f***ing stupid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    OK guys if I were you I'd look away now...all this talk about periods has reminded me of something I'm very angry about.

Tampons, Sanitary Towels, Pantyliners....all necessary items don't ya think? Otherwise it would just be a hygiene nightmare and more...SO you'd think that the Government would consider these things a necessity....right?

Ever noticed that for cotton wool attached to a bit of string, sanitary products are a little dear.
    Well dear did you know that the government slaps a nice 17.5% increase on them? They are "luxury" items that are taxed...just like alcohol, cigarettes....

i agree it is stupid- you couldn't exactly live without them could you, i mean what do they expect you to do??

ReputationRep:

Ever noticed that for cotton wool attached to a bit of string, sanitary products are a little dear.

Toilet rolls are taxed and we need them too.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/

may be we should start a petition!!!

although there is VAT on food...and that is a necessity...
    it doesn't make any sense!!
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Toilet rolls are taxed and we need them too.
    Yes but there are alternatives like...newspaper....now could you use newspaper....I'm just NOT gonna go there

ReputationRep:

I think that's a bit silly too. Can't live without 'em, can't get 'em for free!! Do you think they should be free like contrceptives are?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    http://www.petitiononline.com/

may be we should start a petition!!!

although there is VAT on food...and that is a necessity...
    it doesn't make any sense!!
    :confused:
    Not on basics like bread, milk etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    I think that's a bit silly too. Can't live without 'em, can't get 'em for free!! Do you think they should be free like contrceptives are?
    yes i think so- the basics anyway and if you want something upmarket then you should shell out the extra!!

ReputationRep:
    Not on basics like bread, milk etc
    oh, i didn't know that

ok then we should definately start a petition!!!

ReputationRep:
    yes i think so- the basics anyway and if you want something upmarket then you should shell out the extra!!
    Yeah, thats what I think.

ReputationRep:
    Right well the budget is tomorrow. That's the day where Gordon Brown makes **** and booze even more expensive. Note down the prices of sanitary products today and then go out in a few weeks and have another look...they'll be more expensive.. I guarantee it!

ReputationRep:
    Yes but there are alternatives like...newspaper....now could you use newspaper....I'm just NOT gonna go there
    LOL I see what you're saying but there are lots of things which we need that are taxed and we have to pay for. Taking tax off wouldn't have that much of an effect anyway and I'm sure that extra bit will go to something good.

ReputationRep:
    How's this for a statement?

We the women of Great Britain and Northern Ireland are free to menstruate. We do not want to be charged 17.5% extra for this right. Take the tax off sanitary products and realise that it's natural and not something we "choose" to do!

ReputationRep:
    What? Condoms supplied by the State? Good God. How about toothbrushes, soap, shampoo, etc?

ReputationRep:
    Right well the budget is tomorrow. That's the day where Gordon Brown makes **** and booze even more expensive. Note down the prices of sanitary products today and then go out in a few weeks and have another look...they'll be more expensive.. I guarantee it!
    Gordon Brown is a pillock. Why? Reason number one - because he works for Phony Hair...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    What? Condoms supplied by the State?
    They already are you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    Gordon Brown is a pillock. Why? Reason number one - because he works for Phony Hair...
    F*** you! Just watch who your calling a pillock. And he works for the country not Tony Blair.

ReputationRep:
    In my grandmothers' day they just wore a towel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Exactly. Maybe the women of GB should go on strike on their next period and refuse to use any protection and see how the government likes it...then again maybe not.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    There are of course alternatives to the traditional tampons and towels: http://www.keeper.com/ is a throwaway version of the menstrual cup - but there are re-usable versions available (I remember finding a website once that was selling something similar and I was really interested until I got to the testimonials bit and all these scary sounding ladies had written in - one to say she used the blood to feed her plants, another to say she mixed it with her paints :eek: )

actually looking closer this site is selling a reusable version - you can get throwaway ones which look like condoms for small stumpy men

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.